Bad Trailer Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trihartsfield

Vessel Name
Ethos of the T
Vessel Make
26 Sedan Tollycraft
1974 Tolly on a two axle trailer. Had a complete failure of one of my wheels bearings. There was nothing left (bearings) in the hub. When I jacked up the trailer the wheel and the hub fell right off. (I feel lucky it stayed on) Was able to remove everything and limp it home on three wheels.

I live in Montana and do not have quick access to parts. Does anyone have a location, probably in the PNW, that could help me see what I need to do.

The bolt on the end of the spindle is destroyed and probably threads are no good. Not adverse to getting new axle just wondering if someone could point to a good location I could send pictures and let them help me order what I need. Especially I would like to upgrade to electric brakes.

Unfortunately the boat is still on the trailer.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4598.jpeg
    IMG_4598.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4595.jpeg
    IMG_4595.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 32
When I had a trailer boat I used these folks for trailer parts quite a bit.

Looks like you are due for a new axle at least. They aren't very expensive. I never ordered something as large as an entire axle from them so not sure how the shipping would work.

Don't laugh but lookup Redneck Trailer. Many US locations and also quick shipment if needed. I have purchased brakes, bearings and hubs from them. Great service too!

I wouldn't bother putting new bearings on that spindle.
A trailer axle is a trailer axle, there isn't anything special about a boat-trailer axle until you get into SS brake components.

I've had good success with etrailer.com

Thanks everyone. Put a damper on the summer.

i think the spindle is savable nut is still on threads should be ok

The quickest, and possibly most economical fix is to replace the whole axle. You will need measurements, weight ratings, etc. But unless you can buy it locally, shipping might be a deal killer.

Alternately, I have replaced entire hub and brake assemblies, and they are surprisingly inexpensive. I think parts were between $100 and $150 per wheel. It looks to me like that nut is damaged, but not the spindle itself. So I bet the nut can be removed, and I'll bet you can get the old bearing races off and be left with an intact axle and spindles. Then install a new kit and it's like new. And of course I'd do all 4 of them, which is probably mandatory if you are converting to electric brakes.

Look for utility trailer dealers. There is nothing "marine" about this stuff, and in my experience parts are very widely available.

All this can be done with the boat on the trailer - just block it up carefully.

You can trailer bearings at any decent auto parts store. It doesn’t need to be a marine parts store.

Tractor Supply stores are usually plentiful in rural areas, I've found them to be a good source for trailer bearings.

I agree with the above, however he needs way more than bearings. Backing plate, brakes, drum, and hub all destroyed. Fortunately those assemblies should be available through any decent size trailer dealer.

Don't laugh but lookup Redneck Trailer. Many US locations and also quick shipment if needed. I have purchased brakes, bearings and hubs from them. Great service too!
I also bought parts from Redneck. They know their stuff.

See if there's horse trailer dealer nearby....like Sundowner, etc. They often offer service on all
kinds of trailers.

And, I would steer away from the chinese junk offered
at TSupply and the like.
Real quality is here.....https://www.dexteraxle.com/

Interesting enough I went to a large trailer location that does mostly horse trailers and they couldn’t help.

+1 for Six Roblees. Call, e-mail photos... good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Interesting enough I went to a large trailer location that does mostly horse trailers and they couldn’t help.

Like boats, its a very busy time of the year for those folks too. Maybe check back with them, or another
after Memorial Day?
Horses are for wives and daughters, you pay bills!

Six Robblees is a Dexter axle dealer that sells retail and they have 3 locations in MT. They will be able to get you everything you need. Best bet is to bring the old axle to them for measurements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom