Build quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rated Aargh

So for the most part many of the trawlers from the 1970-1990s look nearly identical too me.
But there’s a vastly different price range between makes. Which still look pretty darn similar inside and out with obvious subtle changes.

The common answer is “build quality”.
So what exactly is better built? I’m not trying to upset anyone or turn this into a favoritism of builder.

But two boats of the same size, same condition, that look alike from 50 yards away and the interior is similar enough that it could have been done by the same craftsman/team, but there’s a $50k difference in price tags between the two that are within a year or two of each other??
Really what gives?? Let’s just refer to the boat not addition electronics that were owner installed.
Yeah $15k in lithium/solar/ electric upgrades plus $10k of navigation equip radar/autopilot etc is $25k difference to the same boat with nothing but a compass.

Just trying to understand why a marine trader is such a junk boat compared to the holy grail of Grand Banks for instance.

What’s so much better that its value is double or more? Just trying to educate myself as I consider factors for my potentially next boat.

Be easy on my ignorance please, just trying to learn.

Thank you.

when looking at an older boat the most important thing is the condition the boat is in NOW

IMO of course. I would never pay more for a "quality" boat that is same basic age, but worst condition than some other

Grand Banks was the BMW/Mercedes of the day. Marine Trader was the Chevy. There is nothing wrong with Chevy's.

Much of the wiring and plumbing that I have seen on many of these boats can be vastly different. Maybe even with the same builder but different models, years, yard built in.

Some of the Grand Banks seemed much more organized with good labeling... it looked factory but I could be wrong.

Also, it's what you can't see or isn't quickly obvious...like how decks are cored, what through hulls have seacocks or don't or the backing plates, window frame design and construction to ward off leaks, quality of materials and hardware....etc....

It's true there is a large difference in original pricing but much of the difference now is usually maintenance and upgrades.

Thank you Psneeld! That was my thoughts also.
I honestly am new to trawlers, experienced power boater but new too trawlers and was wondering if there was some magical quality I wasn’t aware of.

In the older boats initial build quality isn’t as important as the current condition. Look for the best maintained boat that fits your needs. You can have a gold plater from the 80s that hasn’t been maintained and IMO it isn’t worth as much as a mid range quality built boat that is in really good condition. Don’t get hung up on a name but rather quality, unless you are looking for a project boat.

Yep, the posts above about long term maintenance rather than initial build quality make a lot of sense to me. Aside from that though, or maybe in addition to, I'm more and more conscious of good systems design for maintenance access. Our boat is probably a "Chevy" caliber boat in general, not a Nordie or KK or Fleming certainly -- different leagues entirely of course. But on balance, I really appreciate our model's generally good maintenance access. Not everywhere of course. Access to the outboard side of the port engine is awful. Only my skinny son can reach it, and once he gains too much weight, I'll have to hire a spider money to check the spark plugs. And access to the battery charger requires removing all the port side batteries. And the wiring chase from the main breaker panel in the salon to the helm runs above the salon ceiling and under the helm floor in an utterly inaccessible layer, like a big wiring sandwich. But other than that, I've been impressed over and over again with good access for maintenance and repair and replacement.

The fridge cabinet is one inch smaller than the salon's sliding door opening. There are very convenient floor hatches over the rudder posts. If I ever need to replace the holding tank, it easily lifts straight out and up the engine bay hatch. The old water heater came out from under the galley floor hatch with no problems, no sawz-all involved. I could go on, but to me, in the long run, intelligent systems access and design is just as important as initial build quality.

Boats are no different than cars. Value requires good bones, asthetics, and demand. Not many ugly Ferraris, but lots of ugly AMCs. It isn't what appeals to you as much as the masses for value.

Quality builds have stood the test of time. Many of these boats are 30-40 years old. If it was best of class back then, all things equal it will be best of class now.

I am biased. We looked for a long time for our boat, and it fits us and our cruising style. That is very important.

A lot of work up keeping a 30-40 year old boat, that is why this forum exists and is so beneficial.

Regarding restoring cars you always buy the best you can afford for your ability. Same goes for boats, but the cost of a bad decision is much more brutal. Fewer people in the market to bail you out of a bad decision.

Look at boats. Walk the dock. Find what appeals to you and ask a owner to show him your boat and what he has done and needs to do.

Anyone expressing genuine interest in my boat will usually get a tour and I will talk their ear off. Just knock on the side of the boat, introduce yourself and start asking questions.

Hunt out small Marina's and walk boatyards. Lots of deals out there, some good some bad.

You can look at my blog, grandbankschoices. It shows our upgrades in the last 5+ years that most GBs have had done or need done. Use it as a reference.

Life's too short to pilot an ugly boat.

Back
Top Bottom