KeelShield or KeelGuard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We haven’t beached our hard shell BlueWater Baby yet, but will probably start doing that this year. Does anybody use KeelShield, KeelGuard or something similar to protect against rocks and abrasion? How do you like it and does it affect your boat speed?

We haven’t beached our hard shell BlueWater Baby yet, but will probably start doing that this year. Does anybody use KeelShield, KeelGuard or something similar to protect against rocks and abrasion? How do you like it and does it affect your boat speed?

It didn't happen this winter, but I will likely get the guys at Linex to shoot the bottom of my Trinka with a smooth coating of black truck bed liner. I'll have them keep the coating below the waterline for appearance.

Ted

I used keelguard on my Zodiac YL340 when I realized I was literally wearing through the hull because of beaching

The product was easy to apply and has worked well for several seasons.

I really like the KeelGuard. I put it on my dinghy, which has lasted 15 plus years. I also put in on my old boat, a 36 Krogen Manatee. I did this as an attempt to protect the cored hall, or minimize the damage.
Didn’t notice any performance change to the dinghy. It is super adhesive, so make sure you take your time applying. Once it touches the surface, it aint coming off. I recommend a second person.

Love having a tinny
Drive it up onto the beach at speed and "Captain Cook" it out with dry feet
Run it up on concrete boat ramps to take supplies from the grocery truck
Bang it into rocks and oyster encrusted pylons
Zero fks given

Our tender is a motorised wheelbarrow/work truck.
Buy the right tool for the job

Last edited:
Love having a tinny
Drive it up onto the beach at speed and "Captain Cook" it out with dry feet
Run it up on concrete boat ramps to take supplies from the grocery truck
Bang it into rocks and oyster encrusted pylons
Zero fks given

Our tender is a motorised wheelbarrow/work truck.
Buy the right tool for the job

Nothing wrong with an aluminum can for a launch, until you want to row it or sail it. I had one and found they had all the grace of a bathtub when under oar in skinny water.

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks, all. Glad to hear KeelGuard works. Ted, good idea. I thought about coating mine—more for marine growth than abrasion—but I doubt it will stay in the water long enough for anything to take hold. Simi, think I got the right tool for the job; we just approach the job differently.

Keelguard here too on a Walker Bay Generations. Does a great job on the rocky shores of the PNW.

Back
Top Bottom