Upcoming surveys on a 42 LRC, what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamseySteve

We’ve just agreed a price on a ‘79 42 LRC, and the survey and mechanical survey are the next steps. Anything particular to these models to look out for?

We’ve just agreed a price on a ‘79 42 LRC, and the survey and mechanical survey are the next steps. Anything particular to these models to look out for?
I assume you are talking about a Californian because you're posting in the Californian forum?

For a 79 you're going to have to look at everything. Absolutely everything. It's about the age and maintenance and upgrades over the years. 43 years is a long time. I've got an 83 that surveyed very well. By well respected surveyors. The PO had made a lot of good improvements. Yet the list of things I've done and have yet to do seems endless.

It's difficult to tell you where to start. Some of the common trouble areas are sagging of the upper deck and salon deck structure. Failures around the aft cabin windows. Water tank leaks in hard to access spaces. Read the postings here. Most of the Californian owners have been stewards of their boats longer than I have

Thanks Portage_Bay, great advice. I saw a few areas of concern and i expect the surveyor will find more. But that said, she’s over 40 years old and there will be things missed.

Master cabin windows are an easy one to check - and she has clear evidence of prior leaks around the rear of the port side window and I’d assume the starboard side has leaked also, but sagging decks? That wasn’t something I was looking for. And salon deck structure? Do you mean the salon floors or the ‘ceiling’, ie fly bridge floors?

Evidence of water tank leaks are another item to add to my list - thanks!

The mechanical survey is my main concern as that’s where deal-breaking numbers can emerge. We’ll see!

With any boat of that age the condition is all important. Things I look at in an older boat are, rotten deck core, rotten stringers and rusting fuel tanks. Those are the most expensive things usually assuming the engines are in good condition.

And salon deck structure? Do you mean the salon floors or the ‘ceiling’, ie fly bridge floors?

Evidence of water tank leaks are another item to add to my list - thanks!
Both salon decks and fly bridge decks. There are posts here that discuss both. PO of my boat did a bristol job of supporting the salon deck using heavy stainless unistrut. It's easy to temporarily remove when in the way. Proof to me of how necessary the support is and how useful it is to have it removable came when I had to pull the heat exhanger cores. The struts were out for a few days. I had to use a jack to raise the structure back up to get the struts back in. So far my fly bridge deck is fine. I have given it some thought on how to handle that if / when it starts to sag. Perhaps some laminated knees and heavy beams. I'm not tall enough to worry about banging my head if I loose 2" of head room.

Regarding the tanks. I'm assuming your 79 is built similar to my 83. It will have two built in tanks between the engine stringers. The aft tank will run from the lazarette to just forwrd of the aft engine room bulkhead. The forward tank will run from there under the battery banks and generator. There is a small space between the bottom of the tanks and the bilge. "Stuff" will get caught in there and as the tank flexes create a leak. There's a good thread on here about repairing the aft tank. Unfortuately for me it is the forward tank that leaks.

Another concern, not just for Californians but for many boats of that age, is the generator. Onans were commonly installed in those years. For many of the older Onans parts are now made of unobtainium. So far I've been able to find what I need on Ebay. Or find work aournds. But that's getting old trying to keep that thing running.

While I'm on the subject of Onans give some thought to the boat's entire electrical system. I've got Cat 3208s. The OEM alternators are internally regulated 50 AMPs. One charges the house bank, the other the start battery. That just isn't up to the job requiring me to run the generator underway after a night on the hook. Fitting updated alternators on those engines is not simple. I'm guessing you have Perkins? It may be easier to fit larger alternators. Good to look into that.

She has the Cat 3208's with rather low hours, so lack of usage may be the primary concern with those. The generator is an Onan 7.5kw.

I didn't see where the water tank is located, but will be sure to look for it and any sign of leaks. In a previous survey the water tank was described as being a 125 gal fiberglass tank located in the aft lazerette, venting overboard under the swim platform.

I did see the fuel tanks under the berths in the aft cabin.

She has the Cat 3208's with rather low hours, so lack of usage may be the primary concern with those. The generator is an Onan 7.5kw.

I didn't see where the water tank is located, but will be sure to look for it and any sign of leaks. In a previous survey the water tank was described as being a 125 gal fiberglass tank located in the aft lazerette, venting overboard under the swim platform.

Low hours could be true low hours. Could also be faulty hour meters had been replaced at one point.

If yours is like mine you won't be able to see much of the water tank. A bit of the aft end visible in the lazerette. And a bit in the aft end of the engine room. The rest of the built in fiberglass tank is under the aft cabin sole. Here's a very informative thread on Californian water tanks. https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27978 You won't be able to tell if it's leaking by looking at it.

As far as I can tell the risk to rust of the fuel tanks is at the aft end of the tanks in the lazerette where the fuel pickups are. Salt water dripping into the laz can get on the aft ends. The rest of the tanks probably won't see any moisture. One of the attractive things about these old 42 LRCs is the tanks are under the berths. Well protected not subject to deck leaks which can be the killer of tanks. And compared to boats with tanks in the engine room easy to replace.

In a boat that age it is all about the fuel tanks. Have they ever been replaced or repaired and how accessable are they for eventual repair.

Plus the obvious leak areas, windows and decks.

pete

Check all of the sea cocks and hoses. The one you miss is the one that will leak and SINK the boat.

I did mean every single hose! EVEN the ones you can't see or find.

Check all of the sea cocks and hoses. The one you miss is the one that will leak and SINK the boat.

I did mean every single hose! EVEN the ones you can't see or find.

Great advice!

MANY thanks to all who've replied. After a lifetime around boats I have learnt so much in this last week.

The 3208 are a decent engine but they are big since they are a V8. Much prefer an inline 6 so you have more room around the engine for working. But if the boat is nice then you are stuck with whatever engine you get. As long as the 3208s are in good shape you will learn how to cram yourself into the tight areas to work on them…

The 3208 are a decent engine but they are big since they are a V8. Much prefer an inline 6 so you have more room around the engine for working. But if the boat is nice then you are stuck with whatever engine you get. As long as the 3208s are in good shape you will learn how to cram yourself into the tight areas to work on them…
Yes they're big engines. OP is looking at Californian 42 LRC, same boat i have. The fuel tanks under the berths in the aft cabin instead of the engine room. I can get around the engines reasonably easily. I do understand the caution regarding V8s in many boats. My previous boat was a Tolly with twin 454s. Working on the outboard side of the engines was misery. Usually involved reaching over the top and working blind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom