1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic Fuel tank and water issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aerobat95

Hello,

I have found a 86 GB 42 Classic that overall looks really nice. I am currently living in Japan. This boat has two issues that concern me. One of the fuel tanks leaks and needs to be fixed or replaced. There is also a 1000L fresh water tank and they say the water pump turns on but no water flows. Do these boats use a standard 3 or 5 gpm pump like a Shurflow Aqua King? They said there was a well type pump installed? Other than those two issues the boat looks clean with two Caterpillar 320hp engines.

Thanks for any info!
-Ray

We have a 1990 GB 46 classic. If you do even the smallest amount of research you will see replacing the old tanks is very costly. We have the original steel tanks which are currently fine. I did get a quote from American Fuel Tanks (vendor was highly recommended by several sites) prior to purchase in Nov 2021 of $37,000. That was for aluminum tanks, labor and travel costs for the installer in CA to come to east coast. We recommend a good inspection (with photos of the hard to see areas) of the tanks during survey.

We have a 1990 GB 46 classic. If you do even the smallest amount of research you will see replacing the old tanks is very costly. We have the original steel tanks which are currently fine. I did get a quote from American Fuel Tanks (vendor was highly recommended by several sites) prior to purchase in Nov 2021 of $37,000. That was for aluminum tanks, labor and travel costs for the installer in CA to come to east coast. We recommend a good inspection (with photos of the hard to see areas) of the tanks during survey.

Oh wow....I have not been able to find any sort of price estimates....my google powers must be lacking. That is a huge cost and I see why they have not fixed it. Thank you so much

Don't worry about the water issue. Whatever it is, it will be minor, and probably inexpensive to repair.

Worry about the fuel tank issue. Whatever it is, it will be major and very expensive to repair.

pete

Hello,

I have found a 86 GB 42 Classic that overall looks really nice. I am currently living in Japan. This boat has two issues that concern me. One of the fuel tanks leaks and needs to be fixed or replaced. There is also a 1000L fresh water tank and they say the water pump turns on but no water flows. Do these boats use a standard 3 or 5 gpm pump like a Shurflow Aqua King? They said there was a well type pump installed? Other than those two issues the boat looks clean with two Caterpillar 320hp engines.

Thanks for any info!
-Ray

The water pump issue should be minor. The fuel tanks don't have to be replaced in some cases. I know of a Nordhavn owner with a leaking tank that had it professionally repaired with a coating inside the tank designed just for this purpose. It works for the aviation industry and in the business world also with great results. The single tank was fixed in two days at a cost of around $ 3000.00.
Hollywood

The water pump issue should be minor. The fuel tanks don't have to be replaced in some cases. I know of a Nordhavn owner with a leaking tank that had it professionally repaired with a coating inside the tank designed just for this purpose. It works for the aviation industry and in the business world also with great results. The single tank was fixed in two days at a cost of around $ 3000.00.
Hollywood

^^That will probably be my first approach at fuel tank repair rather than replacement next time. I will at least cut access holes to evaluate the innards of the tank, even if they don't leak just so I can at least clean the tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom