Baja Naval Updates/Comments??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY

Guru
Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I am making this post to see if anyone has any recent updates, concerns, comments regarding Baja Naval or suggestions on things I might want to consider. As mentioned below working on refits with yards is not a new experience so I am mostly seeking input specifically relevant to the yard but am open to general suggestions or lessons learned from your experience.

I am preparing to take my 1976 Hatteras 48 LRC from San Diego to Ensenada next month to start a significant "refresh" at Baja Naval. Full paint (bottom, hull and topsides), repacking shafts/rudders, rail varnish and probably a few other items. I am thinking about a bow thruster but probably will not do that. 95% I am fine with the twin engines but it would be nice to have the option. Just not sure it is worth the investment.

I have read many of the more recent posts mentioning the yard. Special thanks to "Weebles" and "Irene". Generally I think folks were happy or at least not throwing them under the bus. Concerns might be scope creep, holding to schedules and potentially inflation of the pricing between the photo stage vs. seeing it in person. Not my first rodeo (did a 1977 Hatteras at Palmer Johnson in Savannah GA years ago) so I would say all of these applied.

The estimates based upon the photos seem OK for some items, a bit high on others. I am not trying to beat Diego up from afar as these are just estimates but given his experience I suspect he can support them when I get there. If I arrive there and the "final" quote/estimate is not acceptable I will just bottom paint and come back to San Diego and have enjoyed a nice 140 mile mini-cruise to Mexico!

Next week I will be getting an estimate to have the work done in San Diego (mostly focused on the painting as that is the major cost element). But I will be shocked if the cost is anywhere near comparable such that I would change my mine. I also watched a you tuber with a sister ship (48 LRC) who had the bottom/hull painted in the past year at Baja Naval and they were pleased. Their hull/painted seemed in much worse condition than mine.

Thanks for any constructive information!

Baja Naval had several significant paint projects underway while I was there. One was a Nordhavn 63 for a hull paint, a big sailing yacht, two other motoryachts. I spoke to Manuel the paint, carpentry, and metal Chief Mechanic on many days. He has been there for many years, and his crew does even bigger jobs at the sister yard Gran Peninsula. They are good people, and I believe they will make every effort to do the right thing vs. putting the dollar first.

A credible acquaintance advised the family that owns the yards donates significantly to the community. On many days, the yard crew plays volleyball at lunch. They had one Saturday after work group picnic during my time there. I know they went out for beers to celebrate one worker’s birthday. At most US organizations, no one wants to spend an additional minute at work after they punch out. Many demonstrate they don’t really want to be there at all.

I worked many years in and around the subject of workplace climate. Although I did not get into the offices or inner workings, financials, or similar at Baja Naval, I was getting dirty with the workers and supervisors at my boat for 3 weeks. The workplace climate that I saw at Baja Naval is of a high quality.

You sound like you will be there and manage your project. I think it is important that you would do that. I was not in their business every minute, but a “Good Morning, what are we going to accomplish today” in Spanish, every day, drives the job. There were 2 course corrections needed during my project, and owner presence was key.

I am a demanding customer. I am that guy. I would not hesitate to go right back to them, something I state very sparingly.

Happy to chat if you like. I am a Hatteras LRC fan!

Good Luck

My experience with Baja Naval is now several years old. I've met several people who are pretty satisfied with their work, only two who were not.

I will say that Ensenada is a small town. Mechanics and electricians are subcontractors and will work anywhere and stay pretty busy and frankly, not overly reliable. The best carpenters are similarly contractors. If your refit includes a significant electrical upgrade to Balmar high output alternators charging LFP with full Victron monitoring, I'd say your chance of a happy outcome are marginal.

Where Mexico really excels is fiberglass and paint. If you want a second quote, you might want to walk a half mile north and talk to Guillermo at La Costa. He's a straight shooter and their paint and fiberglass is excellent. Carpentry is only so-so. They can do some light stainless in-house.

I forget if the Hatt 48 LRC has any exterior teak (maybe handrails?). Consider having them encapsulated in two layers of fiberglass and painted. It was not very expensive when added to the entire paint job - under $3k for me and it looks great and was cheaper than redoing the brightwork.

Good luck with whether you decide.

Peter

Thank you both for the feedback and guidance. Peter I will check out both yards. My focus is paint so feedback seems to confirm at least in that regard they provide a good service. Yes exterior teak is almost exclusively the handrails. I love the teak but you make a good point. Most of the time mine is covered so perhaps going fiberglass under paint might be considered. I just hate to change the original look of the boat.

Very nice to hear of the employee moral and culture.

I had my boat at Baja Naval this last summer for a month adding bilge keels.

The work was fantastic. The communication was excellent.

My opinion is do not get hung up on estimated cost. Trust that the yard is honest with their reporting of labor hours and that your boat will take more hours than estimated. This is especially true for things that are not the normal repeated boat yard work like bottom paint.

This is a problem in my opinion with peoples work on boats. They have an idea for a project and the project morphs as time goes on, and things are uncovered that are unanticipated. This adds to labor hours and the owner gets bent out of shape because the final bill is substantially different than the estimate. Don't be that person.

Just realize that you are paying $35 an hour for the same labor you would pay over $100 for in Amertica and be happy you are getting a quality job.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. Yes we are on the same page. Some items should be easy to quote fairly accurately. Some cannot be known until you open things up. All I expect is that if things dramatically change that needs to be communicated before further resources/costs are committed. My list is mostly work they do day in and day out. There will of course be items that where we have to start with a SWAG and it will ultimately be time and materials.

The refit on my previous 1977 Hatteras 58 MY was very "educational".

Just to close out/follow up on my post. Baja Naval did a great job on the bottom paint. We were able to stay onboard in the yard. Great location and security.

Unfortunately even though the TIP issued in 2011 was properly cancelled they had a 2000 TIP that they claim was open. That old system is no longer in existence so they claim no way to cancel and would not issue a new TIP (even though they did so in 2011!). So we had to shorten our stay. The yard was as frustrated as I was. The yard said this issue is coming up a lot and has an attorney trying to work with the government. I came home and applied for a TIP online and received an email that my permit was issued but nothing was actually sent. I have sent 3 follow up emails with no response. I may just drive down there someday but hoping the boatyard can assist. They were very helpful in everyday but even they have no sway with the person holding the rubber stamp.

In summary I would highly recommend BajaNaval but only if you are 100% sure you have a valid TIP.

I am hearing the same thing about TIPs. Did you happen to contact Michelle Aguilar? Rumor has it she's been modestly successful with TIP issues. +52 646 121 8494 (WhatsApp).

Please keep us posted.

Peter

I had a friend run down to Naval for Bottom, rudder shafts, bearings, ect. Very pleased with the service and pricing.

I am hearing the same thing about TIPs. Did you happen to contact Michelle Aguilar? Rumor has it she's been modestly successful with TIP issues. +52 646 121 8494 (WhatsApp).

Please keep us posted.

Peter
Peter. I have not spoken with Michelle but I am working with the previous owner and their agent for the TIP on plan B. No rush as I am headed North not south for the next year or two.

Back
Top Bottom