Building of a new boat means decisions, decisions, decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrk

Veteran Member
Sometime back, long ago, I posted a thread in this forum on our process for buying a boat. As I had ended that thread by indicating that we chose to go with Kadey-Krogen. 60 Open design. It was a bold choice for a newbie couple like us (sailed on our boat for 12 years but never owned or motored before). Bold choice because we went with a new design and hull #1.
Covid related supply chain and labor issues has made this a long process. But, now the tooling is mostly complete. Mould for hull is out and most of equipment we need is on order and with a delivery date known. And, yet we are looking at at least 12 months of wait till we set foot on our boat. Meanwhile, we are making decisions about things that we have little knowledge of. Fortunately, we got Steve D’Antonion helping out. Thanks steve. And, there is now a steep climbi of learning about various systems that will go into building this boat.

Recently attended the Annapolis boat show. This was not the first time we did but this one was different becuase we had a purpose - look at dinghi, look at anchor, etc. We saw a new type of stabiliser (forget the name of the maker). I would have probably taken a plunge but admiral (spouse) decided against it. Wise because we are taking so many other first steps.

Another highlight of our trip was to be at the Kadey-Krogen rendevzous at solomon island area. What a great group of boat owners. They gave us newbies such a warm welcome. More about that in another post.

The point of this post? Actually, this is just a start of series of posts I will add in this thread about our boat building process with pictures and comments following my visits to the yard.

Steve D is a tremendous resource to help sort through the specs and equipment selections. He will also improve the quality of construction and equipment installation.

Nobody knows more about what works and doesn’t work on a boat than Steve. Keep him involved and your finished boat and boating experience will be far better than it would be without that expertise.

Back
Top Bottom