cruising in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
We cruised our sailboat for 4 winters in Mexico (Pacific side) from 1998 to 2002 leaving her on the hard at San Carlos for the summer. In 4 years we never once felt unsafe or uncomfortable, never once had to pay a bribe and we loved the Mexican people and our time spent there. We are now thinking about cruising Mexico again but are concerned with all the "Narco" news.
We realize it wont be the same as when we where there last but just wondering how the whole drug thing has impacted "cruisers" feeling safe.

We spent over a month in Mazatlan, second largest city in Siniloa - the largest being Culiacan about 90 mins drive north. When we'd take the bus into town, we'd pass the condo building where El Chapo was arrested the first time.

We've spent the better part of the last 4 years in Mexico, mostly Ensenada just south of Tijuana. Ensenada is listed as a very dangerous city. It was not our experience at all. We felt very comfortable in Ensenada, though we have traveled a lot and take normal precautions and we don't have bad habits that would put us in harms way (we go to bed early, don't drink too much, don't do drugs, etc.).

While I find Mexico exceedingly safe and comfortable, I have to say that life is short and if you're worried about this type of stuff, don't come to Mexico. Your free time is too valuable and peace of mind, even if founded in myth, is worth too much to white-knuckle a trip anywhere.

It's sad that Mexico has such a bad reputation in the US. Americans love Mexican food, love to visit the all inclusive resorts, enjoy low restaurant rices due to cheap Mexican labor, but we generally look down at Mexico. I could go on for pages what a mistake that is but in the end, if that's the perception, not much I can do except to say I love it here. Mexico is incredibly family oriented in a way that the US hasn't been since the 1950s. I find the people warm, friendly, and helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Peter

PS - turns out gangsters don't like living in crime ridden areas either. Little Italy in NYC was known as an incredibly safe neighborhood when the Mafia ruled. Guessing Siniloa is too.

I live in La Paz Baja California Sur.

Organized crime exists everywhere in the world. Every major police department world wide has a dedicated organized crime unit, it's so prevalent. In Mexico they call them the cartel, in New York the mob, in LA the crips and the bloods. This is not a Mexico only thing, this is everywhere.

Where there are people that want drugs, there will be people to supply them. That's the nature of life I suppose.

You, as a normal person anywhere will probably never encounter organized crime because you do not consume, and even more importantly sell drugs.

Here in La Paz life is normal by any standard. You go to the grocery store, you go to the resturants, you go shopping, etc...

Like anywhere petty theft occures. Lock your car that kind of thing. I do not lock my boat at the marina, no need we have private docks, and a great community of cruisers and liveaboards.

I will say that when I was in Rome, Italy this summer I saw several car windows broken out, presumably for theft of things inside the car. We do not see that here in La Paz.

So... come to Mexico and enjoy your time.

I felt the same way about safety until I opened one of those stories on the 15 most dangerous cities in the world only to discover that the city I live near and walk down the street feeling safe, was on the list.

Mexico

This is a funny story but true.

Cruising Mexico stopped at the entry gate to check with the security booth, started a conversation and found out he was an American citizen of Mexican parents born in East LA.

Asked him why he moved to Mexico

“Too dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Back
Top Bottom