DeFever Hudson 39 Deck Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WilliamR

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

I saw this boat and was going to take a look. The broker says it is solid fibre-glass and teak covered decks, with an all fibreglass superstructure. However, I thought all DeFever's of this vintage ('73) were cored with plywood (with many having issues in this respect)? I appreciate the survey would pick this up, but it is a long way to travel to view and if the broker is wrong I'd like to know in advance. Anyone know if this is correct?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/19...n=YW_Saved_Search_Dynamic&utm_content=6132023

Thanks in advance
Bill

Just about every glass boat is going to have cored decks. What the core is depends on the vintage usually. The 70s will probably have balsa core or whatever scrap they had in the yard. Newer boats will likely have foam core or something similar. The photos in the listing don’t show the decks well but what are visible are glass not teak covered. The bow and side decks may be teak but the photos don’t show them. Most boats from the 70s will either have some bad deck core or will have had the bad deck core replaced. Especially if they have teak covering the glass decks. Not a deal breaker in my mind, just a lot of grunt work to replace the core. I would be very concerned if the hull was cored. If it gets wet it can be a huge job repairing it. The broker is probably referring to solid glass in the hull.

Just about every glass boat is going to have cored decks. What the core is depends on the vintage usually. The 70s will probably have balsa core or whatever scrap they had in the yard. Newer boats will likely have foam core or something similar. The photos in the listing don’t show the decks well but what are visible are glass not teak covered. The bow and side decks may be teak but the photos don’t show them. Most boats from the 70s will either have some bad deck core or will have had the bad deck core replaced. Especially if they have teak covering the glass decks. Not a deal breaker in my mind, just a lot of grunt work to replace the core. I would be very concerned if the hull was cored. If it gets wet it can be a huge job repairing it. The broker is probably referring to solid glass in the hull.

Thanks , yes that's what I thought. It doesn't look like teak covering solid glass in any of the photos and it seems the broker may be wrong. Said they are reading the sales info originally provided and they were built solid at that time, coring came later.

Hull Construction - Solid Fiberglass Construction - Painted 2021
Keel - 3/4" Thickness
Bottom to Turn of Chine - Solid Fiberglass
Sides - Solid Fiberglass Tapering to 1/2" Thickness
House & Flybridge - Solid Fiberglass
Deck - One Piece Solid Fiberglass with Teak Overlay

Also indicated no osmotic blisters. To be honest, I am not sure they are correct on this, and if they are not I am not sure its worth the visit as likely a whole bunch of trouble may await, although looks well cared for but only 12 photos available.

Bill

Last edited:
Wait, What? $92,000 for a forty year old 39 foot boat?

The boat is nice, maybe even beautiful (from the pictures) but $92,000 ?

I must be missing something.

pete

That is a pretty nice looking vessel for 50 years. Internet pictures are hardly a good look though vs in the flesh. The engine is newer and a good brand - Perkins Sabre.

Before I would even travel to look at it I would ask for about 50 more photos and check to make sure I could get insurance on a 73.

The broker should have more than 12 photos he could provide on request. I`d hope he would send you a pic of any area you asked for.There should be "out of the water" pics showing the hull ? blisters condition.Teak decks visible look "done", ie replaced with painted non slip.

Looks better than a lot of boats its age. Check the wall/bulkhead covering surfaces are original, not hiding teak paneling showing water entry. Get as much info as you can to decide if it`s worth the trip, the advert is less informative than usual. Engine replacement would not be cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom