Fly bridge windscreen material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 2005 I fabricated hail guards/deflectors for the house skylights (Texas). The first set of Lexan yellowed very severely at about the 8 year mark. For the second set I used factory treated Lexan with UV protectant. They are still perfect after 12 years. The boat had the original nasty acrylic on the venturi when we purchased it in 2006. Cracked and cloudy. I replaced it with UV treated Lexan with some sort of hardening process of the surfaces (both sides). Still looked new when we sold the boat last year.

Expert advice on venturi material

I own a (sign) plastic fabrication company and work with these clear materials every day. My advice is to remove the individual existing clear panels and take them to a local "acrylic fabricator" (some larger sign shops can also do. They will use the originals as a pattern and with their cnc machine will cut the new panels. Polycarbonate panels are the strongest impact resistance, however in the constant sun they will discolor / yellow usually within 5-7yrs. Standard clear acrylic will give you about a 20yr service and remain clear. If impact resistance for extreme storms is required specify "modified / high impact acrylic". The price is in the middle of the two above and it provides the strength of polycarbonate without yellowing or the high cost.

I'm in the process of replacing mine, and I am using polycarbonate. Actually, mine never came with any windscreen, so I plan on templating them using cardboard to get the correct angles and curves, then transferring it to the polycarbonate and cutting it out, then installing it.

A 4x8 sheet of polycarbonate 3/16 was $200 cad including tax.

I don't know if they are in your area, but we were able to get what we needed at Tap Plastics, just took in our old (even broken) and they cut to fit. If Tap Plastic is not available in your area, maybe another Hobby Shop providing the same service is. Not Marine so much cheaper!

Fly bridge wind screen replacement

Replacing the wind screen on my 79 Europa was an easy, satisfactory, and fulfilling task. I removed my 5 pieces and took then to a local vendor, “Tap Plastics” in Stockton, CA. They duplicated the old cracked and crazed material with a new set of greyed panels made with polycarbonate. Tap Plastics has a wonderful web site that tells one how to handle polycarbonate, and the special kind of drill bits one needs to make holes in your windscreen pieces.

I know they might not be close to you, but you can call and talk to any of the staff at the Stockton store. Their number is: 209-937-9300.

They also have a large distribution center, but the Stockton store is the one who would duplicate your new wind screens. Give them a call, they are very helpful.

Alex “Sea Robin GB 42 Europa”

Polycarbonate (LEXAN) has been available with a coating that will help prevent ageing and visual problems. I have been out of the market for too long to remember the coating name but ask at any reputable shop and they should know.

I looked it up and it is Margard from GE.

I'm sure the other polycarbonate sheet mfgrs. will have good coatings also so ask.

Good quality Strato glass ois good for side panels. I replaced an aft deck hatch with auto safety glasscwith good result. My main cabin windows are auto safety glass. It will crack from a direct hit of hurricane debris at 70 mph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom