genset switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I presently have a 5kw Westerbeke genset. I do not know how old it is but I do know it is of the new style and has only about 300 hrs on it. The engine runs well but the back end (generator) has quit. To repair and or replace the back end is going to require pulling up the floor. The unit has a sound enclosure and therefore fairly quite and has served us well till recently. But, I do have some complaints. Parts are extremely expensive, with the enclosure it is in the way of other components in the engine room. I have also read that many have had problems with the back end. In reality I am not sure it is an more expensive than any other genset of that size or less reliable. So, here is what I am getting at. If I hve to remove the floor to get the back off then maybe I could find something smaller and maybe easier to work on if problems occur in the future. Looked at Kubuta and nexgen to start. I think they are made by the same people. They sure look the same. That doesn't thrill me. Would love to get rid of the generator altogether but have electric stove and want to put AC back in. Propane stove is not acceptable. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ken

Westerbeke parts are always expensive, it's thier marketing plan. They sell the gens and main engines to boat builders dirt cheap then make it up selling parts at 10x what they should be. IMO that's bordering on fraud. Good news is they don't actually build the engines, they are either Kubota or Mitsubishi. If you can figure out what the base engine is you can get parts at the real prices. We've done that for thier Universal line of small main engines, a quick Internet search will tell you what engine model and tractor the the engine was used in and you get parts at the tractor shop. Some are 1/10th the price. It's got to be the same with the gensets, the back end is an off the shelf unit from somebody, you just have to figure out who's it is. Of course 'Beke guards that info closely.
If the engine looks like a Kubota, it probably is, and if you can find part numbers on anything you can probably find the engine model. Don't ask at the Kubota shop though, thier sales agreements don't allow them to sell parts for Universal or Westerbeke engines. They probably know what the parts numbers are but they're not allowed to tell you.
For replacement, once you get the back end off look it over and see if you find any numbers. With those see if you can figure out the actual maker and go to them for repair or replacement. Maybe someone on the forum has already done that. For replacing the whole thing, sure. Next gen, Northern Lights, Onan etc all make good ones and whatever fits at the price you want to pay will work.

Last edited:
From everything I've read and experienced you can't beat Northern Lights. It won't solve your space problem as they are about the same size as your Westerbeke. Parts are readily available and reasonable.

Figure out your AC requirements. For 36 ft you probably need two units and 5kw might be marginal. I think the 8kw are about the same size.

As well as all the above, the problem in the back end might be a cheap and simple repair. Could be as simple as a blown fuse. Once you figure out who actually made it they can probably help.

From everything I've read and experienced you can't beat Northern Lights. It won't solve your space problem as they are about the same size as your Westerbeke. Parts are readily available and reasonable.

Figure out your AC requirements. For 36 ft you probably need two units and 5kw might be marginal. I think the 8kw are about the same size.

I have a 7.5kw in n my 41 footer. It's a 1973 model and electrical needs were probably less back then, but we have 2 ac units and an electric stove and it runs those just fine.

I took the back end off my NL 843 12kw set and took it to a place in Ft. Lauderdale called Broward Armature. (no affiliation) Very knowledgeable / helpful of all things generator.

Attachments

• 20190215_143953.jpg
    20190215_143953.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190215_143949.jpg
    20190215_143949.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Did you identify the actual problem yet?

Once you get past the usual Westerbeake bashing they usually have the correct part and important for seawater piping sourced from the correct material. Try to estimate the cost of stocked on the shelf distribution in a specialized market.
Their sales model is a discount to registered dealers / repair facilities and internet retail sales to DIY. Still probably cost effective to repair what you have and if necessary as said in post 6 Broward is the go to on the east coast if it is the armature.

Back
Top Bottom