Hello from Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennebec Ted

Vessel Name
Loafer
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36
Hello all I have occasionally been led to your site during research on purchasing a boat. The boat turned out to be a 1983 Grand Banks 36. She is in very good shape, single engine, currently on the hard about two hours to my east
This is a whole new adventure for the wife and I. I retired from practicing law two years ago, My wife is a superintendent of schools who is about to quit working a full-time job. She’s looking for part-time on the coast.
I have never owned a vessel of this size Or complexity, and will need all the help I can get. Fortunately, the vessel came with a professional captain, who is also my shipyard’s owner, manager and sole employee.

Welcome. We have a 1984 36 single. Hull #715. They are nice boats. You will enjoy yours I am sure.
There is another fellow from up in Harpswell with a similar vessel on this forum. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully he sees your post and will chime in. I’ll send you a pm with my info. It’s always nice to be able to compare notes.

Ted,

Welcome to the forum. We also live in Augusta and keep Jubilee in Rockland. We have been sailing and now cruising for many (many) years and are always interested in talking boats and boating. Send me a pm and maybe we can get together.

Cheers

Ansley

We bought our Grand Banks 42 in Maine two years ago and cruised her home to CT. Find your local Hamilton Marine and set up an account - you may find yourself visiting there often.
And consider adding Spurs or some sort of prop line cutter if not already fitted.
Notwithstand having one of those, need to keep a constant watch for lobster pots to avoid them in the first place.
And install radar if not already rigged with one.
We found Maine waters to be foggy and full of obstructions (lobster pots) wherein constant viligence was needed.
No matter what rhumbline you choose you will eventually encounter a lobster pot to weave around!
Also recommend keeping a wetsuit on board for when you do have to go overboard to investigate or remediate underwater problems.

Welcome to the site :)

Welcome neighbor. My wife and I cruise on the Maine coast a lot and we like to explore the less popular spots. We took a ride up the Kennebec to Gardiner last Summer. Was a lovely trip. We were surprised by the large amount and large size of the sturgeon we saw on that trip. They were everywhere and huge.

I highly recommend that you buy and read Nigel Calder's Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual and Chapman's Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling.

Feel free to PM me here if you want to chat about boats and boating.

Welcome aboard. TF is a great town hall for boaters. I am a GB enthusiast. Great boats.

Welcome Ted. We also have a GB 36 (1054 - 1994) in Portland Harbor. If there is anything I can do to help out, I'm more than willing. Had the boat for 10 years now, I have probably learned a lot of mistakes (the hard way) that I can help you avoid.

36' Grand Banks

Hi Ted, Welcome to the Trawler Forum. I think Cigatoo was referring to me in Harpswell, Thank you, Cigatoo.
I'll make this short as I believe we will meet for lunch tomorrow in Hallowell with Ansley.
We experience many of the same feeling when we embarked on the big boat boating but with friends and like minded folks that are members here and with on the water help that you mentioned you will integrate very nicely.
We have owned our 36' GB for 7 years and actually feel pretty comfortable in most aspects. In my biased opinion, you have chosen a fine and capable vessel. I am looking forward to talking with you and thanks to Ansley for the mid Sunday meet up.
See you soon!
Best regards,
Michael Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor (South Harpswell) Maine

Edit: thanks to Ansley for the mid wintah meet up....dang spell check...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom