JD fuel consumption over 10 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I log each trip I make, and record distance and fuel consumption. For interest I've just made a histogram of the data.

The boat is an Ocean Alexander 50 Mk 1, and with typical fuel/water it has a displacement of around 28 tonnes. Power is a pair of Tier II John Deere 6068 TFM75, 201HP each. My normal cruise is 1600rpm, which makes approx. 8 kn with 20 litres per hour fuel consumption.

We have tidal currents which I will utilise if possible, but also wind against tide conditions that at times are unavoidable. At times I've cruised faster, but then realised that used more fuel than I needed to use! The logged data is from start-up to shut down, so includes warm-up, some slow speed zones as well as idle down periods before shut-down. If not in a hurry I might run at a little lower rpm.

This is what it looks like for 680 trips over a 10.5 year period, expressed as NMPG (US gallons). Its 18,600 nm and 2,500 engine hours.

Attachments

• NMPG life.jpg
    NMPG life.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I understand that many Nordhavn's use the JD 6068. Great motors and really good fuel economy! Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom