Keypower stabilizer issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Aruna
Vessel Make
Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I'm having an issue with my Keypower stabilizers and hoping someone has a similar model setup and may have run across this before.

I believe this is a 2003-ish model year unit/setup. There is a touch screen at the helm and a control box mounted in a central spot lower in the boat. Two stabilizers, valves, etc.

System has been working fine for about 3 weeks (new-to-me boat) but today when I got underway, the display is not showing the state of each fin, and is instead showing dots or zeros.

Here's what it looks like normally:
IMG_4099.jpg

You can see numbers indicating the position of each fin under PORT and STBD.

Here's what it looked like all day today:
IMG_4592.jpg

At times I can get the port fin to show a number up in the 20s with a power cycle, and I can hear a thunk when I park the fins, which is pretty normal, but I'm not convinced the system is working correctly given the missing data. The display says that comms are good, but I assume that's just between the display and the control box. It doesn't appear there is much instrumentation or alarms between that and the actual fins.

What I've done:

• Power cycled the entire system multiple times
  • Checked control box - lots of lights are on, nothing seems amiss, but I don't know what the normal lights are supposed to be
  • Checked control box battery and fuses - nothing blown and battery good
  • Hydraulic system is all working OK - other things use it and it is fine
  • Valves and sensors are all connected, nothing was moved or changed around them
The manual is extremely limited and has almost zero troubleshooting information. No pictures or descriptions of this particular problem.

Keypower was purchased by Kobelt, and trying to get a hold of anyone will take some time. I'm hoping someone here has run across this....

Sounds like this vintage Keypower control head / control panel lose their minds after a while and start behaving like this. The "best" option is to "upgrade" to a newer control head and display, re-using all of the wiring, valves, etc. for a mere $12k. That's a bit more than I want to shell out after having just bought this boat, so I'm searching for anyone who might have older controllers or displays. I might have a lead on some here in Seattle, but always interested in others as well, or folks who might know ways to recover the existing system....

Have you sent a note to Dean at Kobelt? He is very knowledgeable and may be of some help.

'Dean Yule' <deany@kobelt.com>

Have you sent a note to Dean at Kobelt? He is very knowledgeable and may be of some help.

I have not! Thank you for the contact info - I shot him an email with all of the details and will hope for the best!

Kobelt has a good reputation and still sells the Keypower stabilizers, so hopefully they'll be able to help out.

I did get a call back (on a Sunday!) from Dean @ Keypower, thanks @magna_6882.

It sounds like there may be some hope yet to recalibrate things, or ship the brains to them to be repaired, which is a hell of a lot better than $12k for a new system....

I was impressed with kobelts customer service which is why i went with there products.

Thought Id pop on here with a big ++ to Dean at Key Power. We bought a full system for a Tolly 48 and installed it with their Hyd. Thruster last year, Solid stand up support and easy to deal with. Unusually (in my experience) for such an accomplished engineer, Dean is quite approachable and easy to understand! I've had Naiad, Wesmar, Gyro Gale systems and can say the Key Power actuator is incredibly robust (2 rams vs. one) and the performance on the Tolly is great - its a rather lively roller. Hopefully you get it sorted.

I did end up speaking with Dean and determined it was a simple fix to get things back up and running. I highly value relationships with vendors like this as well, and will definitely recommend them.

I have Keypower stabilizers, thrusters, and a get-home hydraulic drive. The Keypower hydraulic system also drives my hydraulic Steelhead davit and my Maxwell windlass, so it's lots of Keypower, which makes me happy!

I had a really good experience with Dean at Kobelt too. My boat came with a Keypower system that had been "Adjusted" incorrectly by the previous owner and he got me the info I needed to get it all working properly again in Hawaii. I've been very happy with my Keypower stabilizers, hydraulic alternator, and stern thruster since I got them working properly.

Plus 1 for keypower and Dean! Beefy system and great customer service.

I did end up speaking with Dean and determined it was a simple fix to get things back up and running. I highly value relationships with vendors like this as well, and will definitely recommend them.

I have Keypower stabilizers, thrusters, and a get-home hydraulic drive. The Keypower hydraulic system also drives my hydraulic Steelhead davit and my Maxwell windlass, so it's lots of Keypower, which makes me happy!

For those of us with Keypower systems, what was the simple fix?

Plus 1 for keypower and Dean! Beefy system and great customer service.
Yes indeed, I have been very happy with Keypower service and Dean support when we have had some issues with a solenoid when cruisin in Med near Balearics islands.
One thing I do not understand is how Keypower Kobelt fins are made? They explain it is Urethane material so not like a "classical" rudder with foam, fiberglass and gelcoat???
I have decided to bold with very small screws - 3mm diameter, 12 mm lenght polyurethane plates with spikes for my next cruise back to France through Orcas Alley ( Portugal and Spain...) as a deterrent if they try to push the fins during an "interaction", clearly an attack..

pictures missing, sorry

Attachments

• 20240330_133557.jpg
    20240330_133557.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240330_133608.jpg
    20240330_133608.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom