Marinas on the Rideau Canal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aequitas

Vessel Name
Awakening
Vessel Make
American Tug 395
We will be cruising through the Rideau Canal beginning in Kingston and ending in Ottawa at the end of July and early August. If anyone has suggestions for recommended marinas in the canal, please let me know. We are traveling with our dog, so that is a factor. Thanks!

There are many nice places to stay other than marinas if you are even a little adventuresome. Lock walls are generally picturesque with grills, tables & rest rooms. Several have power avail. No problem with dogs with usual courtesy of leash & clean up.
From Kingston best to leave early enough to be at Kingston Mills for 1st lock. There are 4 locks and if you are not in the 1st group (always an up lock) it's about 1-1/2 hr wait.
Upper Brewers lock #43 has power and a good stop if you've had enough by then. At that same level on Whitefish Lk is a side channel into Mortons bay that is a great and popular anchorage. The channel in is narrow but plenty of water. Just watch the chart as the colors going in are not what I suspected they should be. We've anchored just inside the bay or continued around bear the end is also a good spot. There are some overnight spots avail at the bottom of Jones Falls lock. Also a good idea to be there early and be on the blue line early forv1st lock. Again 4 locks and 1st AM is up lock.
From Jones Falls on you are right in the middle of the very pretty lakes section.
Davis Lk #38 has power on Upper side.
Chaffeys Lk #37 no power but very popular and close to Opinicon and other places for dinner, ice cream, or walking around, etc
Newborn lock #36 has power on top side and Sterling Lodge a short walk and good place for dinner.
Town of Westport just a short run from Newboro and a must if you want marina, grocery for provisioning, restaurants, etc
No power but dock & mooring balls at Col By Is on Big Rideau Lk below Narrows Lock #35. Lots of Anchorage area in bay near Murphy Pt Prov Park.
Docks & marina at Smiths Falls
Merrickville a pleasant stop / town.
From there on its river run to Ottawa.
There is a marina between Merrickville & Ottawa... forget exact location (Kars or Manotick) that had a good restaurant nearby.
In Ottawa there are 2 choices- a marina below lock #9 Harwell or if you continue to downtown Ottawa you can stay on the wall and walk to town & Parliament.
If continuing to Ottawa R its a flight of 8 connected locks down.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. B has it pretty well spot on. The lock stations are great to stay at and after purchase of a season's pass the only extra is power (where available). You might try https://www.waterwayguide.com/explo...645689955&zoom=13.318530795807984&mode=marina
I gave that site a quick look and it seems to be quite inclusive. I second the Opinicon for a good meal. Stay above at Chaffeys and it's about a 3 minute walk. Be SURE to try the ginger flavour at the ice cream shop. MY favorite, bar none.

The marina Mr. b mentioned in Kars is Hurst with the nearby restaurant The Swan.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. B has it pretty well spot on.

The marina Mr. b mentioned in Kars is Hurst with the nearby restaurant The Swan.
RTF you are good.
That's it... Black Swan IIRC? Memory good but often needs a jump start,

We have staye at the Opinicon marina but hear it is closed this year. Too bad but the lodge & dinner an experience if you stay above Chafeys lock
[EDIT] My bad... Swan on Rideau is correct!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. B. The Swan on the Rideau is the full name. https://theswanontherideau.com/. We must have passed by dozens upon dozens of times. Never eaten there. While Hurst Marina IS right beside it and they have fuel (not sure about diesel but probably), there's really nothing else there. No sights, nothing.
A number of lock stations are right in the middle of small towns so groceries and restaurants ARE available.

Back
Top Bottom