Mixing "plastic" with bronze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

What is your opinion of mixing "plastic" and bronze plumbing fittings for an above the waterline installation?
Specifically considering screwing male plastic pipe nipple into female threaded bronze ball valve.
Am using term plastic generically to imply something other than bronze but not metal.
So could be pvc or nylon or whatever is recommended if the idea is even acceptable.
Your thoughts?
Thank you

Can be done and commonly is, but also somewhat commonly leaks. I think because of the vastly different stiffness and thermal coefficients. I've had particular problems with nylon fittings, the nylon seems less stiff than PVC or PolyPro fittings. People will blanch when they read this, but I've put them together with 5200 often, especially if the joint stubbornly leaks. That pretty much fixes it - and yes, it is easy to take apart again if needed.

Can be done and commonly is, but also somewhat commonly leaks. I think because of the vastly different stiffness and thermal coefficients. I've had particular problems with nylon fittings, the nylon seems less stiff than PVC or PolyPro fittings. People will blanch when they read this, but I've put them together with 5200 often, especially if the joint stubbornly leaks. That pretty much fixes it - and yes, it is easy to take apart again if needed.

Oh my Gosh! 5200! Are you crazy? You might as well weld it! You never get it apart! ? (Real men use 5200. Welcome to the club)

I've had different types of plastic fittings leak when connected together. 5200 solved the problem nicely.

Ted

Okay. Thanks for the replies.
Am going to forego the plastic and stick with bronze.
Asked the question because prior owner left a bunch of nylon/plastic hose barbs behind and was trying to be economical but realized may be more trouble than it is worth; so sticking with old-school bronze to bronze.
Thank you

Typically, any hardware store pipe fittings will be brass, not bronze.
Not a problem, but bronze or plastic would be preferable to brass for salt water.

Back
Top Bottom