mooring buoy install permit or no permit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
My brother has a waterfront site and got a price for installing a permanent mooring buoy. The guy who installs a lot of these does them with or without a permit. He indicted it would take a year to get a permit and could be denied if the indian tribes objected. Most homes where he is have buoys in front of there homes but were not sure who is permitted or not. He ask me to post the question on the forum since he dosnt even have a boat.
So what are your thoughts? Should he just get it installed or should he get the permits?

The state of Washington is actively pulling non permitted moorings. The process is slow and it could be a decade before they get to you.

I have never heard of a permit being denied in front
Of one’s home.

I would do both. Install it and apply for the permit.

The state of Washington is actively pulling non permitted moorings. The process is slow and it could be a decade before they get to you.

I have never heard of a permit being denied in front
Of one’s home.

I would do both. Install it and apply for the permit.

Your advise is what i was thinking but the installer told him to not install if he was going to apply. He would rather get it permitted but is not finding the concept encouraging nor recommended by the professionals. Might be another symptom of over regulation by the state of Washington.

......permit and could be denied if the indian tribes objected.

Another post said WA is actively removing non permitted bouys. Are they working for the tribes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your advise is what i was thinking but the installer told him to not install if he was going to apply. He would rather get it permitted but is not finding the concept encouraging nor recommended by the professionals. Might be another symptom of over regulation by the state of Washington.

So "professionals" are encouraging breaking the law? :popcorn:

No not trying to start a political or otherwise narrative. :banghead:

I spent the last 2-1/2 years getting a permit modification from Florida EPA for my slip on the ICW (conjoined two slips into one larger slip), so while not WA, a state agency process.

I would think a question would be are the mooring permits forever, or a time-bound lease (10-years for example). If a lease, more likely time will catch up to your brother.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and get a proper permit. Perhaps your brother can hire an engineering firm skilled in the process which is what I did (yep, still took a very long time).

As an aside, I recently built a shed in my backyard. Most would just build it which is perhaps what I should have done. I didn't want the vagaries of enforcement hanging over me so I went through a very painful process of getting a permit.

As a final observation, the installer would prefer not having the inevitable delays and administration of a permitted project. He'd like his work ASAP. However he is not bearing the risk of noncompliance.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom