Parts for Bowman heat exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itwasntme

Veteran Member
I am having trouble locating a parts supplier in the USA for Bowman heat exchangers. I have Bowman FH 420 exchangers and want to undertake the annual service of removing the end caps and cleaning it out. For this, I need the o-rings. Lots of suppliers online from the UK but that will take time and unnecessary expense.
The Bowman website lists some distributors but these distributors don't seem to have any heat exchanger parts. One of them sells pool supplies
Any help appreciated, also where can I get cleanout brushes?

Wondering if a good hydraulic shop could match the orings. I realize that they are probably metric. Maybe you could get the specs from the manufacturer.

Ted

Performed similar project on our old John Deere Ammarine diesel HE's and took old parts to a good old-fashioned full service hardware store and was able to find replacement o-rings off the shelf (actually not on a shelf but in one of those many pull-out drawers found in many full service hardware stores).
Took some hunting around and comparing sizes but eventually found everything I needed. Put everything back together and no leaks!

I agree with other posters that you should be able to find the o-rings yourself versus shipping them in from the UK. Of course, complicated by the fact you're in the USVI's.
I'd pull the caps and micrometer the orings dims. If there's not an o-ring supplier in St. Thomas, must be one in Miami you could order some from. If you're a bit uncertain of the size after dimensioning the exisiting one, order sizes that bracket what you think the size is. That way you'll have what you need to do the job.
I've used TA Diesel (Trans Atlantic Diesel) in the past, a business out of the Atlantic Coast who have great customer service. If they can't help you, they likely can steer you in the right direction. Good luck

I've found shipping from England to be reliable and unexpected reliable and inexpensive. Inoftwn pay more to get stuff from California.

Transatlantic diesel is amazing. If they behave it, that's a no brainer.

According to the UK supplier page, the inside diameter of the o-rings is 114 mm but I do not know the diameter. Would prefer to have the parts on hand prior to taking things apart so I can use the vessel.

According to the UK supplier page, the inside diameter of the o-rings is 114 mm but I do not know the diameter. Would prefer to have the parts on hand prior to taking things apart so I can use the vessel.

When you come up with the size, please update the thread. I have a bowman heat exchanger too, and I want to do an off-engine service on it. Having the end seals on hand would be nice, as well as having some spares for just in case.

Metric O rings should be readily available in a few days unless you are really out in the woods.

A good hydraulics shop should be able to get them. I get mine from my local auto parts store and small industrial supplier. Different engine though. Since you know the I.D. Go talk to them before you disassemble the cooler.
Look online also as O rings can be had that way.

Back
Top Bottom