Podcast - $5m salvage rights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
It's midnight and I'm on watch halfway to Zihuateneo, a 200nm/32 hr run. Listened to an interesting podcast about a 1994 salvage of a tug and tow - goes through much of the maritime law behind salvage rights.

I found it an interesting 30-min listen. Thought I would share HERE

Here's a summary of the story.

The distress call was coming from a tugboat whose engines were failing in the storm. Now adrift, the tugboat was on a dangerous collision course with the shore. The only ship close enough to mount a rescue was the Cherry Valley.

I read the book In Peril where this was documented. Pretty interesting case with some high value NASA cargo.

Safe travels Peter.

You might find the podcast interesting as the captain is interviewed and tells the story in his spoken words.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Winds are about 15 kts over the stern so getting pushed around slightly. Weebles suits us fairly well. But I'd sure like extra waterline to span ubiquitous 3-foot chop. Air temperature is about 75 degrees and a bit humid. Bit cool on the flybridge - light blanket comes in handy

Peter

Last edited:
I listened to that a few days Go. Quite fascinating and a very brave young captain who did the right thing and got rewarded for it.

I came from San Diego to Ensenada yesterday (2/6). It was a very rough ride with confused seas. Mostly west swell 4-8 ft 8 secs and south 2-3 at 8 secs. Winds were south 15-20 knts with gusts 30-35. Arrived at Ensenada and after checking in at Baja Naval was told the port captain had closed the port. Really happy to be on the hard now for bottom paint.

I listened to that a few days Go. Quite fascinating and a very brave young captain who did the right thing and got rewarded for it.

I came from San Diego to Ensenada yesterday (2/6). It was a very rough ride with confused seas. Mostly west swell 4-8 ft 8 secs and south 2-3 at 8 secs. Winds were south 15-20 knts with gusts 30-35. Arrived at Ensenada and after checking in at Baja Naval was told the port captain had closed the port. Really happy to be on the hard now for bottom paint.

I miss the ceviche in Ensenada. Pez Urbano is a 10 min walk from Baja Naval - Spicy Jurel (tuna) tostada was a favorite. Of course, La Guerrense street cart on the main tourist street was made famous by Anthony Bourdain who proclaimed it the best street food he'd ever had. High praise from a guy who knew his street food. The Coctele de Cameron is excellent as is their tuna ceviche tostada's.

Finally, Carnitas Riviera in Floresta is also about 10 min walk. Small mom and pop carnitas cart that is very good - salsas are especially tasty.

Oh, I have to mention El Trailero in the highway north of town (El Sauzal neighborhood). OMG - birria with consume is exceptional (before 11am or so).

For special meals, Manzanilla is owned by one of Mexico's most famous chefs. I also had an exceptional meal at Boules.

And I miss the beer at Wendlandt, a 5 min walk from Baja Naval. Food is decent - I had a hot dog there that was more of a sausage and was exceptional.

Frankly, while i have had some great meals all the way down the coast. Ensenada ranks above the rest of Baja for food (and of course wine and beer)

Enjoy......

Peter

What a time we live in. I remember being out on the fishing boats and using the marine operator to phone someone ashore, thinking it was a big deal.
Now, you’re posting on TF, listening to podcasts, etc… during a 32 hour run. It never ceases to amaze me.

When I was delivering 20+ years ago, I carried a CD player and books on tape that I rented from the library. Helped pass the night watches. At the time, a buddy who worked on a survey ship in the Gulf of Mexico could make satellite based phone calls.......for $10/minute!!!!

View from the bridge this morning....snapped a few minutes ago. About 10 hours left to go for today's run. We'll be staying at Marina Ixtapa near Zihuateneo.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240208_070753.jpg
    20240208_070753.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
When I was delivering 20+ years ago, I carried a CD player and books on tape that I rented from the library. Helped pass the night watches. At the time, a buddy who worked on a survey ship in the Gulf of Mexico could make satellite based phone calls.......for $10/minute!!!!

View from the bridge this morning....snapped a few minutes ago. About 10 hours left to go for today's run. We'll be staying at Marina Ixtapa near Zihuateneo.

Peter

Beautiful, so serene watching the sunrise offshore. One of my favorite things. Safe travels.

Say "Hi" to Andy Dufresne and Red if you see them down there Peter. Rumor has it they're fixing up some old boat....

Back
Top Bottom