PVC or Flexible sanitation hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
We are about to install a new holding tank behind our engine room generator. We have two Tecma toilets about 15' apart. The aft toilet run will be about 4-5', however the fwd toilet run will be 10-12'.

My question is should we consider using normal PVC pipes for the majority of the fwd run or just use something like the Raritan SaniFlex throughout.

Additionally, I am having a bit of trouble tracking down the Raritan product here in Sydney, so am thinking I may need to use an acceptable alternative.

Cheers,

Andy

If you can use PVC for the bulk of the run, I would. It's suitable and cheaper, plus easier to avoid low spots than with hose.

I prefer PVC as it doesn’t become saturated over time. You will need to use some hose at both ends to allow for flexing.

I would opt for PVC solid, but still waiting to see tranistion connectors to avoid a paper hang up.

OP, 10-12 feet, hope you are using 1 inch line with marine elegance, or a lot of water needed to flush the distance.

I would opt for PVC solid, but still waiting to see tranistion connectors to avoid a paper hang up.

OP, 10-12 feet, hope you are using 1 inch line with marine elegance, or a lot of water needed to flush the distance.

I have a 36’ run and am I ever glad that I have a ME head with 1” discharge hose.

If you can’t get Raritan hose Trident 101 or 102 is an excellent hose. It is not as flexible as Raritan but it is equally odor resistant.

If you can use PVC for the bulk of the run, I would. It's suitable and cheaper, plus easier to avoid low spots than with hose.

I very much agree. Hose sags create low spots over time, and water traps if they sag enough which they always seem to do. And smell will never permeate PVC.

My water runs are all sched 80 PVC, but I don't know if that's required, just a good idea, or overkill. Opinions?

I'm also a bit surprised to hear of 1" hose. Mine are all 1-1/2" PVC, and I think all my boats have been similar sized PVC & hose.

1" hose is common on some of the macerating toilets, as they don't need the solids handling capability of 1.5".

Depending on the routing, the ideal would be to get the hose to go up a bit right after the toilet, then steadily slope down to the tank. That will self drain and should minimize the amount of water required to flush out the line.

Additionally, I am having a bit of trouble tracking down the Raritan product here in Sydney, so am thinking I may need to use an acceptable alternative.

Vetus premium sanitation hose is the next best thing to Raritan SaniFlex and should be a lot easier to find in OZ.

--Peggie

I very much agree. Hose sags create low spots over time, and water traps if they sag enough which they always seem to do. And smell will never permeate PVC.

My water runs are all sched 80 PVC, but I don't know if that's required, just a good idea, or overkill. Opinions?

I'm also a bit surprised to hear of 1" hose. Mine are all 1-1/2" PVC, and I think all my boats have been similar sized PVC & hose.

With the 1” hose and my 36’ run it will hold 1.5 gallons of water. With a 1.5” hose and 36’ long it would hold 3.3 gallons. So it takes much less water to flush the hose clean with the 1” hose. With the macerating head the stuff is like a slurry so it doesn’t clog up the hose as easily as with a non macerating head.

Agree.

Am adding a second holding tank aft to double our capacity and reduce the run from the aft head.
Am keeping both (forward and aft) runs very short;
but I do not have those fancy modern heads mentioned.

Am also planning to use hard PVC (1.5") for long straight runs.
My understanding is ABYC allows that provided connections on either end are via flexible hose as pointed out by previous poster.
Also cannot have PVC tie in directly to any thru-hull - need hose there too.

Yeesh, 36 feet is quite a long run. I feel lucky. Our longest run is 7 feet.

When I replaced the Vacuflush head and ran the 1” discharge hose instead of the 1.5” hose I actually cut about 12’ off the run to the holding tank. I used the 1.5” hose as a conduit to run the new 1” hose. The 1” hose has an OD of 1.375” so I had 1/8” of clearance to run the new hose. Used a lot of wire pulling lube and it went through easily. It took less than an hour to run the 36’.

When I replaced the Vacuflush head and ran the 1” discharge hose instead of the 1.5” hose I actually cut about 12’ off the run to the holding tank. I used the 1.5” hose as a conduit to run the new 1” hose. The 1” hose has an OD of 1.375” so I had 1/8” of clearance to run the new hose. Used a lot of wire pulling lube and it went through easily. It took less than an hour to run the 36’.

That's a clever way to do it.

That's a clever way to do it.

Well that way I didn’t have to destroy the boat trying to run the new hose. And now the new hose is well secured since Formula did an exceptional job of securing the original hose.

Well that way I didn’t have to destroy the boat trying to run the new hose. And now the new hose is well secured since Formula did an exceptional job of securing the original hose.

I assume you used schedule 40 to have enough flexibility to run the full 36'? Is schedule 40 adequate for use for septic lines? I've only experience with flexible sanitation hose.

I assume you used schedule 40 to have enough flexibility to run the full 36'? Is schedule 40 adequate for use for septic lines? I've only experience with flexible sanitation hose.

No, I used Raritan SaniFlex hose. It is very flexible and went through the old hose easily. I did clean the old hose first and scoped it to look for obstructions.

use PVC hard pipe as much as you can. Defender has rairtan hose. That with PVC and you should be good.

PVC or hose

I am a confirmed Raritan user, IF Raritan makes it and I need it I will buy their product I can highly recommend their septic hose.

Our septic system has PVC for the long runs, I did not do this it was like that when we bought the boat, and Raritan hose to make the connections.

For our period of use so far, knocking on wood & my head, the system has worked great.

I also have a Raritan Electro-scan, which came with the boat as well and we will alternate as needed between the Electra-scan and our 75g holding tank, utilizing a Raritan Y-valve to switch between the 2.

Any questions, PM me and we'll talk.

Good luck.

sanitation hose

Andy,

Accuflex, which is now owned by a Japanese company but is a Canadian company, is the actual manufacturer of many of these tubing products, which are used in a huge variety of industries, and sold under a LOT of private-label names, so if you can find a dealer of that product around Sydney, you could save a lot of money.
For drain lines, our companies always specified the Sani-clean product, which has a lining that provides some anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties, very useful in drain applications.
PVC is fine for supply lines, but I wouldn't recommend it for drains.

https://products.kuriyama.com/category/drain-tubing?plpver=1027

Just make sure to support the drain lines at regular intervals so you don't wind up with sagging spots.

This is a link to their product page.

Good luck!

Peter

I used that white PVC "148" hose common in marine supply stores and it was awful smelling after about a year. Bit the bullet and bought Saniflex through Defender Marine. Zero odors.

I used that white PVC "148" hose common in marine supply stores and it was awful smelling after about a year. Bit the bullet and bought Saniflex through Defender Marine. Zero odors.

Yes, it isn’t worth the effort of putting in cheaper new hose and then having to redo it that soon. The labor is a lot of work and it can be nasty…

PVC is great for straight runs, but you will need flexible hose at the ends. Boats move more than houses.

Someone in another thread posted long runs of PVC neatly bent by heating and inserting garage door springs ti maintain pipe shape in the bends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom