Relationship between DSC, MMSI and AIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Last winter I installed a new AIS system and got an MMSI number registered to the the new AIS unit that was programmed before it was shipped to me.

When I bought this boat, it was already equipped with an ICOM VHF radio that has DSC along with that red 'distress' button. But when it comes to the communication relationship between the two, each has its own antenna.

So, do I need to do something with the VHF to have it reprogrammed with my MMSI? If so, who is the governing body to do this, or do I go to the manufacturer?

Last winter I installed a new AIS system and got an MMSI number registered to the the new AIS unit that was programmed before it was shipped to me.

When I bought this boat, it was already equipped with an ICOM VHF radio that has DSC along with that red 'distress' button. But when it comes to the communication relationship between the two, each has its own antenna.

So, do I need to do something with the VHF to have it reprogrammed with my MMSI? If so, who is the governing body to do this, or do I go to the manufacturer?

The MMSI number is for the boat, and the same number should be used in your AIS and you VHFs for DSC. So your VHF should be reprogrammed to your new MMSI. Unfortunately, that most likely means removing the VHF and sending it back to the MFG. You can also google for ways to reset it based ont eh exact make and model. For some, people have figured out how to reset them.

The MMSI number is for the boat, and the same number should be used in your AIS and you VHFs for DSC. So your VHF should be reprogrammed to your new MMSI. Unfortunately, that most likely means removing the VHF and sending it back to the MFG. You can also google for ways to reset it based ont eh exact make and model. For some, people have figured out how to reset them.
Try taking the radio to West Marine. There are also other iCom distributors that can change the music number

Ask around your area for an instrument tech who could reset your VHF as TT mentioned. In our location there are a couple.

The VHF DSC function will still work until you get the MMSI redone. But you’ll have to answer a few questions if activated. Chances are slim though for needing it. Maybe time to get a beacon?

Was your VHF already programmed with an MMSI? If so, what they said about finding a tech or manufacturer support. If not, follow the menu instructions to enter your new AIS yourself.

Does your VHF receive location information? From a direct GPS antenna connection, or from another system (perhaps via NMEA0183 and/or NMEA2000) on the boat? That's the other half of what makes that "Distress" button really useful.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom