Trawler Forum Lite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soin2la

Guru
I’m completely in the dark here and maybe my ask isn’t even possible.

Having been a member on several forums over the years, this one has the best user-friendly format, hands down.

So, how would one go about coming close to duplicating it on about a 1/10 scale? Like the home page without Gallery and Library and going no deeper than the first section, ending before Trawler Classifieds. It would be far from a boating forum.

Think about less 10-20 new threads with maybe two dozen posts to each, daily.

Is this the kind of place to start? https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-t...n the specific product,$15 and $500 per month.

I hate Facebook, don’t use it and a blog won’t suit the purpose.

Thanks.

You are asking for a full time job.
I made my own web page for work, change something once in a while, very basic. That small stuff consumes time.
This forum is smooth only because the unseen have developed it so well. Imagine creating a recognition of a user and then when we go to a subscribed thread we are taken to the first new post since we looked. I can barely imagine doing that for one thread, one person.
Good luck. It can be done.

BTW trawler forum on a phone is dummed down. You have a choice of first or last post.

Maybe try setting up on discord. I had another forum pretty much dissolve due to time and expense, so it moved over to discord.
Lots less function, but still able to have multiple threads.

So, how would one go about coming close to duplicating it on about a 1/10 scale? Like the home page without Gallery and Library and going no deeper than the first section, ending before Trawler Classifieds. It would be far from a boating forum.

Think about less 10-20 new threads with maybe two dozen posts to each, daily.

Why?

You don't have to read everything here... New Posts, pick and choose...

??

-Chris

Why?

You don't have to read everything here... New Posts, pick and choose...

??

-Chris

I am wondering the same thing. What’s the point? If anything, it would just pull some traffic from TF, watering down both forums, meaning neither one would be as good.

In the original post he mentioned that it would be far from a boating forum. I understood that to mean a different subject matter than TF.

In the original post he mentioned that it would be far from a boating forum. I understood that to mean a different subject matter than TF.

Yes, thank you; not even remotely boating related.

I'm looking at TF's format and ease of use, with no more than a dozen categories. Something where people don't get confused by more than one sentence. :rofl:

Edit...a pm pointed me to WIX, anyone familiar with it?
https://youtu.be/45s1zBzchz0

Last edited:
If you scroll all down you will see that the forum is powered by vBulletin a well know forum engine.
There are quite a lot of alternatives out there and all depend if you want it for free or not if you want to take care of everything by yourself or not etc.
Hard to point you in any direction without more info about what you want to do, what are your skills level, budget etc.

Note: Not that I want to diminish the work of the team who is doing a great work but some things that look amazing like redirecting you to the posts after you last visit are pretty simple and easy, your last visit date, post from that date, done... and most of the time will be provided by the engine you use.

L

Thanks Lou.

The plan is for a basic uncomplicated forum, let’s say for wood choppers. We like the layout of TF and ours would be like the main TF page down to, and ending at Trawler Cassified, no further.

No Gallery, no library, no rigjth side menu. Same Q and A format with maybe 8- 10 categories;

Welcome: intros, rules, guidelines
Wood Types: hard, soft, by area, preference,
Splitters: manual, hydraulic, wall mounted
Axes: single, double bit, left, right-handed
Handles: material, straight, curved
Wedges: material, felling, splitting
Sledges: heads, weights, handles
Files: single, double cut, length, handles
Spittin’ tabacca: dry, moist, plug, twist
Sweat rags and cusses:

Mostly random one time users with a few Q&A posts and gone, couple dozen questions a week, half dozen mods contributing articles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom