Trent- Severn Waterway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can subscribe to get these:

Trent-Severn Waterway - Water Level Management Update – December 18, 2023

Parks Canada's water management team continues to actively monitor water levels, flows, and weather forecasts across the Trent-Severn Waterway. These factors are used to determine dam operations on a daily basis for the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Parks Canada maintains the Ontario Waterways Water Management InfoNet on the Trent-Severn Waterway website at https://parks.canada.ca/lhn-nhs/on/...et/point-gestion-eau-water-management-updates

The InfoNet contains background information on water management practices, water management updates, frequently asked questions about water management, various reports on water management, and the most recent water levels of lakes along both the Rideau Canal and the Trent-Severn Waterway. The information comes from hydrometric gauges located at key points along both waterways and is vetted by trained and experienced Parks Canada water management staff.

This information is intended as supplemental information only. Stakeholders should continue to refer to their respective Conservation Authority or the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry as the primary source for relevant flood forecasting information specific to their area. These are Kawartha Conservation, Otonabee Region Conservation Authority, Ganaraska Conservation Authority, Lower Trent Conservation Authority, Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority or, in all other areas of the Trent and Severn Watersheds, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.

Weather

The relatively dry fall conditions with total three-month precipitation values varying 25-70% below normal resulted in below-average flows and levels across most watersheds. The precipitation amounts received during the first two weeks of December were localized in nature and close to seasonal averages.

The Weather Network is currently forecasting 10-15 mm of mixed precipitation across the entire Trent and Severn River watersheds. The bulk of this precipitation is anticipated to come in the next 36 hours.

Outlook

The small accumulations of snow on the ground were depleted across the Trent and Severn River Watersheds as a result of the weekend weather, with temperatures above zero degrees and 10-15 mm of rain. Flows in the Trent/Severn are anticipated to rise, and water levels are expected to increase in all lakes and river reaches.

The Trent-Severn Water Management team will be actively monitoring the changing conditions. Any watershed condition updates will be released by your Conservation Authority.

Haliburton and Northern Areas

Most lakes are near or below long-term average water levels. Gull and Burnt River are near or below average. Most Central lakes are below long-term average water levels.

Kawartha Lakes and the Otonabee River

The Kawartha Lakes are about 10 cm below average and declining. Otonabee River Flows are below average as a result of the Kawartha Lakes drawdown in preparation for spring freshet. All river reaches are within their seasonal ranges.

Rice Lake and the Lower Trent

Rice Lake is on average, and the Lower Trent River reaches remain in the seasonal ranges. Trent River flows are below average.

Severn River

Lake Simcoe's water levels are below average. Black River and Severn River flows are near average. River and lake sections on the Severn River are below average.

Greetings,
Mr. SB. As I understand it any of the hydraulic locks cannot be stopped once initiated. The manually operated (crab controlled) can be interrupted anywhere in their cycle. I think the set of locks on the Rideau are all manual save Black Rapids and Newboro.
The houseboat incident I mentioned (post #21) occurred at Newboro.

Pretty sure the lock master at Newboro advised me of this "quirk" regarding hydraulics.
Can't remember the differences on the T/S.
I qualify the above and ALL my posts with my memory sucks!

At the Toronto Boat Show I spent some time with Chad Buchner, the Manager of Operations of the Rideau and Trent-Severn systems. He gave a couple of seminars about the systems.
https://torontoboatshow.com/education/seminars/?uww_sessid=e6c6c6e8-9dc3-4e43-abd0-7329d4d1e8ec
https://torontoboatshow.com/education/seminars/?uww_sessid=e6c6c6e8-9dc3-4e43-abd0-7329d4d1e8ec

I asked him specifically about Newboro and the Trent/Rideau in general, and he confirmed that all locks can be stopped and reversed, but did add that on locks where the valves are manual, it's harder if there is a lot of water pressure against them.

Perhaps the lock personnel didn't see the problem with the houseboat soon enough. it's pretty busy sometimes, and some houseboats have a marked list just sitting there. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom