Virginia Boaters License

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mila Vera

Veteran Member
Folks,
We are going to Georgian Bay this Spring and live in VA. We have received conflicting feedback from several boaters who are also traveling towards Canada.

So here goes the question: "Does anyone know if you absolutely need a VA Boaters License to get into Canada?
Thanks,
First Mate
Mila Vera

Mainship 400

I was there last year and didn't need one, but then, laws change. I would check with Canada.

https://parks.canada.ca/

Search for boating regulations or boater licenses.

Ted

There may be difference if you are a documented vessel.
How many years have you been boating?

Documentation doesn't prove you have been through any kind of boating safety training.

But may satisfy another requirement.

Only guessing.
If the boat is documented you dont need to register in a state
Your hailing port on the stern may be give you away.
Your boat is registered in VA?

Are we discussing a Boating Safety Certificate (training) for the operator or something like registration of the vessel?

For non-residents, if you are boating in Canada less than 45 days, you do not need one. See below excerpt from Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations
SOR/99-53

Application
2 (1) These Regulations apply in respect of pleasure craft that are fitted with a motor and that are operated for recreational purposes in Canadian waters, other than the waters of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

(2) These Regulations do not apply in respect of seaplanes.

Prohibitions
3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate a pleasure craft unless the person

(a) is competent to operate the pleasure craft in accordance with section 4; and

(b) has proof of competency on board.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who

(a) is operating the pleasure craft under the supervision of an instructor as part of an accredited course;

(b) is not a resident of Canada and whose pleasure craft is in Canada for less than 45 consecutive days; or

(c) has proof on board that the person holds a certificate of competency, training certificate, endorsement or other equivalency listed in the schedule.

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-99-53/page-1.html

Last edited:
Only guessing.
If the boat is documented you dont need to register in a state
Your hailing port on the stern may be give you away.
Your boat is registered in VA?

The OP clearly was asking about a boaters license ,which I take it to mean passing the boater safety course. He is not asking about boater registration or documentation.

From that link, it looks like your state boater educate certificate* would be accepted if you were in Canada more than 45 days:

• (2) A person who is not a resident of Canada is competent to operate a pleasure craft if the person
    • (a) has proof of competency as set out in subsection (1); or
    • (b) has been issued a certificate or other similar document that meets the requirements of the person’s state or country.
* Please don't call it a "license." Licenses come with renewal fees, and can be revoked.

In NJ you may lose your boat operating privilege for a year if convicted of a DUI if over 0.1 BAC.... it may be also lost for other violations but I am not sure.

My guess the same /similar rule is common in many states, it is in Virginia.

From that link, it looks like your state boater educate certificate* would be accepted if you were in Canada more than 45 days:

* Please don't call it a "license." Licenses come with renewal fees, and can be revoked.
Agreed.

It's a minimum requirement, really. That said, I have never been asked to show proof of my competency. I think (hope) the card is on my boat. I did it through the power squadron years ago...

https://aceboater.com/en-us/virginia-boat-registration

Documented vessels
Some boats that are at least five net tons in size and owned by an American citizen can be registered with the U.S. Coast Guard. These boats are "documented." Documented boats must still be registered with the state. They cannot be titled in Virginia, but the owner of a documented watercraft may apply to DGIF for state registration decals.

As usual, Northern Spy has provided accurate info.
OP is asking about an operators "certificate" and not boat registration or documentation. A USPS (now ABC) or USCG Aux boating course satisfies the requirement but as stated not required for short term transient stays.

We have crossed into Canada many times and never questioned about operator certificate. Our last visit probably exceeded the 45 days (by a few ) but never questioned about the duration. You might be questioned if your planned stay exceeded the 45 days and was stated as such when checking in w Cdn Customs.

You will absolutely enjoy Georgian Bay.
If you are interested in recommended stops, anchorages, etc don't hesitate to reach out. My Bacchus website has info from our 2019 GB cruise including a daily log showing stops, anchorages and timing. I've also posted a series of articles I wrote for our local ABC-FLX boating group that included our plan and trip recap of plan vs actual.

Enjoy the cruise!

Last edited:
A boater's safety course is required in Virginia. So you should already have one, right? Or are you talking about something else?

If you've been boating a while, you can get the Virginia safety course on line in about half an hour. More if you need to study.

VA Boaters License

https://aceboater.com/en-us/virginia-boat-registration

Documented vessels
Some boats that are at least five net tons in size and owned by an American citizen can be registered with the U.S. Coast Guard. These boats are "documented." Documented boats must still be registered with the state. They cannot be titled in Virginia, but the owner of a documented watercraft may apply to DGIF for state registration decals.[/Q

Thanks to all who gave value input!!!!!!
LM-D
Mila Vera

Also thanks for all the amazing web page links!!!!!!

LM-D
First Mate

Mila Vera

This is probably overstating the obvious, but since the OP stated "to get into Canada", you (and each of your passengers) need a PASSPORT to get into Canada. Then you will need to clear back into the US through the Customs and Border Patrol agency after you return to the US from your trip to Canada.

As far as a certificate of competency to operate a motorized vessel there, that has been correctly addressed by Northern Spy above (and others).

Bob

If you have any USCG captains license you don't need the states boater's license.

People tell me there is a universal site for the online course. Upon completion the state issues the boater's card. I'm told it's a very easy course, rules of the road and what seems as common sense.

Georgian Bay Info

If you plan to spend much time and really see the Georgian Bay and North Channel I would strongly suggest that you join the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Their reports will help you come home with your props intact and having enjoyed seeing some of the best cruising grounds in the world. The waters are mostly well charted but some of the more interesting areas are not. The club info will get you into those with relative safety. We have made 26 trips to the area and still would not be without the reports.

If you plan to spend much time and really see the Georgian Bay and North Channel I would strongly suggest that you join the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Their reports will help you come home with your props intact and having enjoyed seeing some of the best cruising grounds in the world. The waters are mostly well charted but some of the more interesting areas are not. The club info will get you into those with relative safety. We have made 26 trips to the area and still would not be without the reports.
Agree
Their info is very useful and provides comfort getting into some very desirable anchorages as well as generally good info.

For some states that accept a USCG license in lieu of a boating safety certificate, they do demand that you have to have it on you while operating the vessel.

If you have an old paper license, call the state and see what it takes to get a wallet sized alternative.

Back
Top Bottom