Additional Helm Chairs for 2004 MS 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Would like recommendations for selecting and installing additional helm chairs on the flybridge of my 2004 Mainship 400. I have seen a few pictures of what others have done in the past, however, I would appreciate updated information on specific manufactures and model numbers, etc.

The helm chair on my boat does not have any manufacturer’s label. Picture attached. I was able to find a ladder back helm chair online called “ Todd Gloucester” that looks somewhat similar. I tried emailing the owner of the website scyr.org for Stella Blue 2003 MS 400, but have not heard back yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7460.jpg
    IMG_7460.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7461.jpg
    IMG_7461.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 61
If the pic is yours the top one shows Garelick as the mfg.
If not you might scan thru the MS part pics ( link in Sticky at top of M-MS builders section). If you find anything similar open the puc for source info and part #

Whatever seat you use make sure that you through bolt the base and not just screw the base to the deck.

Where would you put the additional chairs?

Helm seats

I have a 2003 Mainship 400. Check out Veada Captain's Helm Seats at Great Lakes Skipper Part No. 1091601. I have 3 on the Flybridge. Modified the side seats because they sat too low. I can send pictures later for the side seat modifications. I'm away on vacation.

I solved the problem of the too low side seats another way. When I replaced the fly bridge cushions, I (approx.) doubled the thickness of those seat cushions. Problem solved. The back/side cushion remained useable.

Where would you put the additional chairs?

The additional captains chairs would sit left and right of the main captains chair. The seat cushions would be removed and a new piece of starboard would be screwed down and sealed on the current seat base. Several Mainship owners have already done this as outlined on the Stella Blue website. Here is the link. Look under the projects tab for Flybridge Swivel Chairs: https://scyr.org/stellablue/index.html

To each his own. I prefer to keep the storage space.

Agree. The storage space is important. We are adding access doors that face port and starboard.

Also, please be aware that the wiring run from below is just aft of the starboard seat.

I made up a booster seat from some scrap plywood and gained some storage space.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 51
There is a 2x2 inch aluminum angle piece attached to the back of the side armrest that sits on the side coaming.

There is a 2x2 inch aluminum angle piece attached to the back of the side armrest that sits on the side coaming.
Paul- I like your booster seat design. I think I’m going to use it and return the squeaky Captains chairs that I got from Amazon.

Please confirm if you reused the seat and back cushions and any tips and measurements for designing and building the seat frame. I assume you used starboard. Also, if you were to build it again, what changes would you make, including whether the back cushion would be a bit higher or whether you’d add some sort of foot rest. Also interested to know if you had a snap-on canvass seat cover before boosting the seat. Thinking of reusing the one I have.

not sure what your referring to here. If possible, can you post more pictures of the back port side back rest and any storage hatches and access compartments.

Have you considered replacing individual helm seats with a two person reversible bench like on many center consoles? I like the stability a more substantial bench offers compared to the wobbly and squeaky world of the pedestal seats on our bridge.

Paul- I like your booster seat design. I think I’m going to use it and return the squeaky Captains chairs that I got from Amazon.

Please confirm if you reused the seat and back cushions and any tips and measurements for designing and building the seat frame. I assume you used starboard. Also, if you were to build it again, what changes would you make, including whether the back cushion would be a bit higher or whether you’d add some sort of foot rest. Also interested to know if you had a snap-on canvass seat cover before boosting the seat. Thinking of reusing the one I have.
Hi Bay Retriever. I am touring in Japan so it may be a while to get you some photos.
1) I used 3/4 inch plywood and epoxied and painted. I believe it was interlux hatteras white but will look to see if I still have the can. The rounded front corner was two 2x6 glued together and shaped with bandsaw and sander.
2) I made templates with posterboard. The existing seat bottom is angled to direct water flow and allow for the tapered side coaming so the box you build will not be perfectly symetrical at the base. My vertically challenged wife was happy with the existing seat back height relative to the seat cushion so I matched it. A taller person might prefer higher. The seat is hinged to allow extra storage through into the existing under seat storage. The opening is narrowed to clear the side arm cushion. I overlooked the fact the existing seat back is tapered so my seat back is not perfectly parallel with it. No one notices unless I point it out.

3) My wife uses a small foot stool as a foot rest.

4) We did not have a side seat cover.
Paul

A comment on the type of seat you have. I do upholstery & see these a lot. Weak point is where arms attach, usually crack due to people using them to stand up pushing down too hard

Sorry for the belated photos. Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 7
Back