Safe-T-Alert carbon monoxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
The carbon monoxide alarm in the guest cabin was chirping and flashing a steady red/green when I boarded my 2004 MS 400 yesterday. The unit was probably the original one installed when the boat was new and reads “replace by 2006/7” on the front cover as seen in the attached pic.

Ended up cutting the wires off IMG_8146.jpgIMG_8147.jpgand taped the wires separately until I can order a new one. I plan to order another one for the one in the galley above the breaker box. I’m curious if anyone else has replaced their carbon monoxide sensors and if there is a 3rd one on my Mainship 400. The breaker box has 3 slots labeled CO and I’m not sure how to rewire.

T MacDonnell
Bay Retriever
2004 Mainship 400

I replaced several on our previous boat, but that wasn't a Mainship so not perfectly helpful. Straightforward replacement, though.

FWIW, MTI told me their RV and Marine versions are exactly the same except for labeling. (After I ordered several from the 'net and received the RV version...)

-Chris

On my mainship 400 the co2 sensor chirped when 12 volt battery was low voltage.
Got a new battery and it quit chirping and went to green, but did install all new co2 detectors, as they were 2005 also. Hope this helps

The new one I recently installed in my 30 Pilot II has an end of life alert, annoying I am sure. Five years is as old as you should have aboard.

We have the same CO detectors in our Mainship. They started chirping about a year after we bought the boat and according to the date on the back they were at the end of their life. I replaced them with with the same brand and style. This year the replacements starting chirping, right on time. I replaced them again. I was also told by the manufacturer that the RV and marine units were the same.

This reminds me of the story of a fire department that responded to a call regarding a woman who was almost overcome by CO poisoning. During their call, they noticed that her home had a CO detector but that it was disconnected. The woman later admitted that she was the one who disconnected it. When asked why, she replied that she did it because it kept going off.

Similar experience not long after I bought my 400 five years ago. Previous owner had simply turned off the breaker on the main panel in the engine room. When I turned it on, the chirping began. Replaced the three units (both staterooms, salon) and no problems since.

Skip
Tampa

My experience confirms something I was told (it was on the Internet so it must be true). CO2 detectors do not like moisture so their life is much shorter in a boat.

Similar experience not long after I bought my 400 five years ago. Previous owner had simply turned off the breaker on the main panel in the engine room. When I turned it on, the chirping began. Replaced the three units (both staterooms, salon) and no problems since.

Skip
Tampa

Skip

How did you rewire? Is there a “natural” place to splice the replacement sensors within 12” of cutting the old wires? Or do the replacement sensors have posts to effect the hardwire rewire?

Yup, the CO detector in the stateroom started chirping right on schedule.
I installed a new detector.... the green light is not steady but cycles. I assume that is normal?

Butt spliced with heat shrink connectors. As I recall, per the manufacturer, estimated life of those units is 5 years.

I got smart the second time I replaced them and used spade connectors. They're all in locations where moisture isn't likely so I didn't use heat shrink.

I replaced mine with the same units not long after we bought the boat. A few years later (3?) one went bad, followed by the next a few months after that. The second time around I replaced them with a battery powered RV unit from Kiddie. In addition to the audible alarm, it has a screen that tracks if there has been any exposure to CO. I like it better than the safety alert ones, and it is less expensive.

For the Fwd cabins, I disconnected the hot wire from the breaker at the main panel and capped the ends of the wires.

I'm using the wires and breaker from the old CO detector in the galley for a new fan I installed in it's place. I moved the CO detector to the spot where the stereo speaker was, which I also removed.

I replaced mine with the same units not long after we bought the boat. A few years later (3?) one went bad, followed by the next a few months after that. The second time around I replaced them with a battery powered RV unit from Kiddie. In addition to the audible alarm, it has a screen that tracks if there has been any exposure to CO. I like it better than the safety alert ones, and it is less expensive.

For the Fwd cabins, I disconnected the hot wire from the breaker at the main panel and capped the ends of the wires.

I'm using the wires and breaker from the old CO detector in the galley for a new fan I installed in it's place. I moved the CO detector to the spot where the stereo speaker was, which I also removed.

Doug

If possible, please send make and model numbers for the Kidde CO monitor and fan you are using. Also am considering piggybacking the wiring and installing fans at all three locations once I get the replacement CO monitors.

T Mac

Hey T Mac,

Here is CO detector:
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-C3010D...dde+carbon+monoxide+rv&qid=1631291674&sr=8-21

For the galley fan we went with a caframo scirroco.

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Siro...ywords=caframo+scirroco&qid=1631291800&sr=8-4

I think piggybacking the wiring would work fine. It just seemed easier to me to use a battery powered CO monitor, it has lithum batts with an advertised 10 year life span. That freed up the wires for the fan.

I already had fans installed in both cabins, so I just capped the wires and put in the kiddie monitor.

It should not be news to any adult that CO detectors have a finite life of about five to seven years, be they marine, RV, residential or commercial.

This is often printed on the unit or label but it is always mentioned in the installation and operating guide.

They're exactly the same as RV units. I put a pair of black colored ones in place of the white units. Blends in much better with the teak. The ones in there were WELL past their expiration date.

Hmmm, wires and 5 year life, how quaint. Put in lithium powered 10 year units.
Too many wires in boats as is. [emoji41]

Replaced all three of mine in Mar this year. The old ones were labeled 2006 mfr. Added a label on the outside to show date installed.
Master, galley and second state room.
Used butt splices at each location. Same as original.
Easy job.

08 MS400

The irritating thing about these things is finding new ones in the same shape/dimensions as previous models. Most boats I've had put the sensors in a position pretty specific to the detector's shape. Functionality matters, of course, but so does the Admiral's concern for decor.

Though I suppose a battery unit would open up mounting elsewhere, while leaving the old ones in place, if just for appearance (disconnected, of course to avoid the drain or false positives).

Have 3 way way expired ones in my 2003- 390. Previous owner installed some home fire/smoke detectors. Seems to me best plan is replace the Old CO2 with fire /smoke with home service ones We have the test buttons on the Electrical panel but I think Lowes or whatever easier. Thoughts??? Happy New Year!!

Have 3 way way expired ones in my 2003- 390. Previous owner installed some home fire/smoke detectors. Seems to me best plan is replace the Old CO2 with fire /smoke with home service ones We have the test buttons on the Electrical panel but I think Lowes or whatever easier. Thoughts??? Happy New Year!!

When ours went south on the previous boat, we replaced them with new Safe-T-Alert units. Easy enough to do. (Post #2)

During that, their customer service bubba told me the RV and Marine units are exactly the same except for labeling. After I has bought the "RV" versions. He actually offered to swap them out for me, but I had already installed...

-Chris

Safe-T-Alert 65 Series CO Monitors

Thanks Chris, I found where I can buy them.

My main electrical panel has 3 buttons Labeled as "CO Monitors" 1,2 & 3. I couldn't find any paperwork on the "System", are these test buttons? I looked at the users manual for the units (65 Series) and there isn't any wiring shown for an external button.

Robert

Attachments

• CO Buttons.jpg
    CO Buttons.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Chris, I found where I can buy them.

My main electrical panel has 3 buttons Labeled as "CO Monitors" 1,2 & 3. I couldn't find any paperwork on the "System", are these test buttons? I looked at the users manual for the units (65 Series) and there isn't any wiring shown for an external button.

Robert

Buttons are to reset the fuse if tripped.

our 2003 390 has 3. one in the salon and one in each stateroom. one of them started beeping several years ago. I replaced all three at that time

Relatively old thread I know, but now I'm replacing mine - three of them, Safe-t-Alert CO detectors, the very common white ones. Tried Defender, Hodges Marine, Go2Marine, Fisheries Supply, Wholesale Marine - no luck, backordered or out of stock. Anybody have a source for these? An outfit called Caddis Outdoors has them, Austin, TX, but I never heard of that company before, opened in 2022 so that makes me uneasy. Thanks.

I had these on order for probably two years. I recently received notice that the order was canceled as the distributor received notice from the manufacturer that they were no longer being made.

Rats. Thank you. Sounds like I'll have to go to different detectors, even though the mounting spots are set up for these.

A. Go to your local hardware store
B. Go to Home Depot

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom