One Lucky 25 Year Old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
Thursday night, this 25 year old kid leaves the Lighthouse boat ramp in a 12’ johnboat, ~1 mile from the inlet. They found him this afternoon ~12 miles off the coast. The USCG came to the rescue. He may be the local Darwin Award recipient for the month. After looking at the rescue photos, I hope he knows how lucky he is.

Attachments

• DAEAB7CC-5900-451D-A874-CD44C49F70DC.jpg
    DAEAB7CC-5900-451D-A874-CD44C49F70DC.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2E2E9898-2211-4404-9E0E-F60354F4CFEE.jpg
    2E2E9898-2211-4404-9E0E-F60354F4CFEE.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 80
Thursday night, this 25 year old kid leaves the Lighthouse boat ramp in a 12’ johnboat, ~1 mile from the inlet. They found him this afternoon ~12 miles off the coast. The USCG came to the rescue. He may be the local Darwin Award recipient for the month. After looking at the rescue photos, I hope he knows how lucky he is.

No award for him. He didn't win.

Lucky?

Not with the USCG on the job! :D

Glad he is safe, but something is wrong here. Did his engine quit and was swept out? And if he was swept out, no visual distress signs to other boaters? No life jacket? No cell phone? A 25 YO should have better sense, but maybe I am expecting too much these days..

Last edited:
Glad he is safe, but something is wrong here. Did his engine quit and was swept out? And if he was swept out, no visual distress signs to other boaters? No life jacket? No cell phone? A 25 YO should have better sense, but maybe I am expecting too much these days..

The story I saw was a wave somehow dislodged him from the boat and he went overboard, by the time he was able to get back on the boat he was 12 miles out. Couldn't get the motor started at that point and jettisoned engine to help the swamped boat stay floating.

Back
Top Bottom