Scheduled for a haul today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
First haul in almost two years. Not sure what I'm going to find. Power wash, prep, paint and zincs are on the list.

Hopefully we will see some video of this on your YouTube channel. I have watched all of your videos and like your boat. Would love to see more.

Now that it is after midnight I have a haul scheduled today. Usually do it later but the wife has some medical things coming up so we need to get the haul out of the way.

I have a haulout scheduled in two weeks. [emoji16] Not sure what this thread is about, but I will join in. Yearly zinc, possible bottom paint and gear inspection. This time I have to coordinate a Survey because Geico is dropping me.

We're one of the late ones as usual this year. Our haulout for winter (and of course some maintenance like paint and zincs) is set for 10/31. Once we're out we'll see what other projects I end up doing. I've been debating dropping the rudders for inspection and installing better upper rudder support bearings.

This winter we are;
Rebuilding the shaft logs and replace the cutlass bearings
Replace transmission coolers
Rebuild one aftercooler
Rebuild trim tabs
Have props rebuilt and take 1” pitch out
Replace one instrument panel and gauges
Wax the boat
Change anodes
Rebuild engine hatch screw jack
Whole laundry list of minor things

We will be hauling in about 2 hours.

I will have to haul out and paint the bottom before next season. Do you think I should change the zincs while it is out or do a separate haul out for that?

A diver can change your anodes for far less cost than a haul out.

I assume pictures are forthcoming. Curious about shaft log rebuild and cause.

Peter

I forgot to take photos. I have Norscott dripless shaft logs. One of them has been leaking some lubricant. So I will rebuild both of them since they are obviously original and 25 years old now. They have a small reservoir for ATF to lube the shaft and one was loosing lubricant. Asked them for a temporary fix to get me through until I hauled. They said drain the ATF and use 30 weight motor oil. I did and it fixed it for the rest of the season but now I want to fix it properly. I will replace the 3 seals on each side as well as new hose since it is 25 years old. I am going to replace the cutlass’s bearings as well since they also look original. It has Buck Algonquin “Herring” model cutlass bearings. Buck apparently names the cutlass bearings with fish names as model numbers??? Whatever…

A diver can change your anodes for far less cost than a haul out.
I can haul out for under about $600 including bottom clean and was quoted $400 for diver. Did not think that was cost effective since I did not get to see the bottom for any concerns.

What is your costs?

I can haul out for under about $600 including bottom clean and was quoted $400 for diver. Did not think that was cost effective since I did not get to see the bottom for any concerns.

What is your costs?

I have a diver once a month as soft growth is prevalent in warm FL waters. I pay $227 for my 65' boat. An additional small cost to replace zincs (which I supply) if needed.

Weebles was hauled last Monday for routine bottom paint/prop speed; and a punch list of stuff to finalize refit items. It took some tweaking and scrounging for lead, but I finally have the forward bilge ballast/trim about right (forward compartment carries 1600# of the 6000# of ballast). I reduced the amount of ballast slightly because I added a bow thruster and a pair of G31 AGM batteries. The original ballast was encapsulated in concrete and held up well. I decided to upgrade the technology slightly and went with leveling concrete which is designed to ooze and fill gaps. She will relaunch in a week, almost 3 weeks on the hard.

I don't know the cost. Guillermo (La Costa Boatworks) has been incredibly fair and honest with me. After almost 2 years of working with him on/off and watching others work with him, I have had zero 'yellow flags" about integrity issues. Not to say all has gone well, but issues have been dealt with fairly. Whatever the cost is will be fair.

Gave us a chance to scoot up to Wyoming (pic attached) before final push to leave southbound with Baja Ha Ha on October 30th.

Peter 20230918_111155.jpg20230919_122935.jpg20230919_091520.jpg
View attachment 142561

Last edited:

What is your costs?

Steve, in PNW, about $140 to replace all zincs while in the water (I supplied the zincs). Now that we're in warmer water, cost is $0.00 since I can do it with a mask and snorkel, no need to break out the scuba gear. But the trip to warmer water is quite expensive compared to the cost of hiring a diver!:whistling::D
Regarding $400 for a diver . . . . find another diver . . . :nonono:

My SUV is scheduled for an oil change and tire rotation.
That's every bit as exciting as when we get our boat hauled for bottom maintenance.

Steve, in PNW, about $140 to replace all zincs while in the water (I supplied the zincs). Now that we're in warmer water, cost is $0.00 since I can do it with a mask and snorkel, no need to break out the scuba gear. But the trip to warmer water is quite expensive compared to the cost of hiring a diver!:whistling::D
Regarding $400 for a diver . . . . find another diver . . . :nonono:

$140 almost $170 here, maybe get zincs done. I actually started looking for a wet suit, last dive was in BVI 2 years ago. Then I remembered the water here is cold. :nonono: I think I will do a haul out in the new year, get bottom painted.

Hauled and painted, replaced the zincs, and a new wheel up in the PNW a couple of weeks ago, was out of the water for four days . $1400. I did the work. (which included renting vacuum sanders).

Interestingly, the boat is only 38 feet yet has a bow thruster. It has never operated and I found the shaft had deteriorated from electrolysis. I removed the gear in the tunnel and sealed it. The boat is small so it does not need a thruster but I will repair it and put it back in next time I haul . Strange that the shaft would go and not the brass prop.

M

Attachments

• haul.jpg
    haul.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 50
  • haul wheel.jpg
    haul wheel.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 55
  • haul tunnel.jpg
    haul tunnel.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 57
My Mainship just had a first haulout in 15 years.

Here is the photo of the beast which appeared from the water.

In 10 days she had an soul transforming experience:

- bottom was power washed
- sodablasted to the gel coat
- sanded with 80 grid
- 3 layers of epoxy barrier coat applied to the bottom, rudders and flaps
- 2 layers of Pacifica antifouling applied to the bottom, rudders and flaps
- zincs replaced
- shaft packings replaced to graphtex
- new 1" thruhull and seacock was added for raw water washdown and watermaker
- anchor chain color coded every 25'
- anchor and swivel replaced
- above the water hull sides were polished and waxed

She looks at least 10 years younger now.

Going back in the water tomorrow! Yay!

Attachments

• PXL_20230919_161321462.jpg
    PXL_20230919_161321462.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230928_123704565.jpg
    PXL_20230928_123704565.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230930_202042467.jpg
    PXL_20230930_202042467.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20231002_220516201.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20231002_220516201.NIGHT~2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20231002_220433387~2.jpg
    PXL_20231002_220433387~2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 61
I have a diver once a month as soft growth is prevalent in warm FL waters. I pay $227 for my 65' boat. An additional small cost to replace zincs (which I supply) if needed.

I pay $100 every 5-6 weeks for cleaning. The last time zincs were replaced, I bought the zincs and diver charged $50 for his time on top of the cleaning. I was good with that.

Our cost was $500 for haul out, power wash, and 30 days on the hard.

Our cost was $500 for haul out, power wash, and 30 days on the hard.
Your profile shows a Hatt 58 LRC. Where did you haul for $500, including power wash and 30-day storage? Guatemala ;)?

Peter

Waiting to go in the slings as well, but another boat is in there doing emergency repairs. So I wait. At least it's a nice place to hang out. I just have regular maintenance, but it's overdue. PXL_20231004_181520237~2.jpg

Here we are launching earlier this year in Malta.
Equipment overkill???

Attachments

• LaunchMalta.jpg
    LaunchMalta.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 58
Heading to Sommers Cove marina in Crisfield, MD tomorrow to start 4 days of scrubbing the outside of Slow Hand. Then haulout on Wednesday for about a month <$500. Projects will include replacing the Dripless shaft seal (5,800 engine hours, 38,000 miles), wax the boat, bottom paint, anodes as needed, replace a VHF, replace a transducer, end for end the anchor chain, replace the ECM (Electronic Control Module), replace the electronic throttle potentiometer, wax the dinghy, and who knows what else. :facepalm:

Ted

Your profile shows a Hatt 58 LRC. Where did you haul for $500, including power wash and 30-day storage? Guatemala ;)?

Peter

St. Mary's boat service, but that was 5 years ago, and their prices have increased.

CURRENT PRICES
haul out $12/ft. includes launch,
power wash $100.
block $7/ft.
storage $12/ft. :eek:

OLD PRICES
$8/ft includes wash and haul
didn't charge for 1st 30 days or blocking.
Also free stairs and scaffolds.

Last edited:
Heading to Sommers Cove marina in Crisfield, MD tomorrow to start 4 days of scrubbing the outside of Slow Hand. Then haulout on Wednesday for about a month <$500. Projects will include replacing the Dripless shaft seal (5,800 engine hours, 38,000 miles), wax the boat, bottom paint, anodes as needed, replace a VHF, replace a transducer, end for end the anchor chain, replace the ECM (Electronic Control Module), replace the electronic throttle potentiometer, wax the dinghy, and who knows what else. :facepalm:

Ted

Add a set of Optima red top batteries for the bow thruster to the list. The first set only lasted 8 years! :D

Ted

Haul, pressure wash, & block is $600 for my 34'. Then it's $70/day to be in the yard. Trying to plan all projects is crucial.

Back
Top Bottom