V-Berth mattress...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
I'm almost complete with the v-berth mattress project. I ended up using 2 Twin XL mattresses. Of course after hacking up the first mattress cuts, the 2nd one came out much better. I used 6" green tea memory foam (not quite sure about the green tea business) . Quite comfortable and the mattress covers still sort of fit back on them.

any pictures? And if possible a link to the product you bought? I need to make my V berth mattresses too.

This is the after photo with the covers back on but they need to be altered to fit tightly. I didn't take any photos while I was cutting and gluing the mattresses back together. In my case using Twin XL worked well.

I bought them on Amazon and they are on sale now for $96 usd.

NapQueen Anula, Twin-XL 6'' Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress, Bed in a Box

Attachments

• Compress_20230808_161215_5269.jpg
    Compress_20230808_161215_5269.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 52
We did a Vee berth mattress for our boat. We used the same mattress it sounds like. I use an electric knife to cut the foam. Since ours was cut to follow the slope of the hull it was a bit tough to cut on the angle. Also the electric knife wouldn’t make the cut from one side all the way through. I had to cut from the top and the bottom and have the cuts meet in the middle. It took a bit of figuring but it came out ok. But by cutting the mattress on a slope it effectively makes the berth larger so it was worth the effort.

We did a Vee berth mattress for our boat. We used the same mattress it sounds like. I use an electric knife to cut the foam. Since ours was cut to follow the slope of the hull it was a bit tough to cut on the angle. Also the electric knife wouldn’t make the cut from one side all the way through. I had to cut from the top and the bottom and have the cuts meet in the middle. It took a bit of figuring but it came out ok. But by cutting the mattress on a slope it effectively makes the berth larger so it was worth the effort.

The first mattress was cut using 12" Serated Bread knife, incredibly sharp but did not leave a clean cut. For the 2nd one, I absconded my wife's electric carving knife, cut like butter and left a very clean cut. Good thing she was ok with my theft....

I've been looking at a similar project, thanks for all the tips.

One thing I think I'll do differently is not use the XL mattress size. I'm going to cut the mattresses short at the point of the "V." Put a little shelf there, instead. Good for cell phone, wallet or whatever. Maybe with a pin rail to make it look like it belongs. That way I can buy regular size mattresses and sheets, and cut those to fit. Regular length beds are plenty for me and/or my guests. I don't know any NBA players. Extra-long V berths seem like plain old laziness on the part of the builders.

DIY V-birth makeover

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I gutted the whole V-birth, painted it white, added 1/4" 12 x 12 self stick insulating tiles on the wall. used gorilla spray adhesive and stuck new hull liner wall vinyl. Then custom cut and fabricated 3/4" marine plywood beds (set high to open up the maximum floor room. Bought on Amazon 6" "plush / soft" teatree memory foam twin bead mattresses, cut them to shape with a our electric carving knife, repurposed the mattress covers (bit of sewing) and love the results. We sleep better on the new boat beds than at home!

Attachments

• c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 34
  • c2c.jpg
    c2c.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 33
The first mattress was cut using 12" Serated Bread knife, incredibly sharp but did not leave a clean cut. For the 2nd one, I absconded my wife's electric carving knife, cut like butter and left a very clean cut. Good thing she was ok with my theft....

I have one in the garage that I use for boat projects. She has her own.

One thing I think I'll do differently is not use the XL mattress size. I'm going to cut the mattresses short at the point of the "V." Put a little shelf there, instead. Good for cell phone, wallet or whatever. Maybe with a pin rail to make it look like it belongs. That way I can buy regular size mattresses and sheets, and cut those to fit. Regular length beds are plenty for me and/or my guests. I don't know any NBA players. Extra-long V berths seem like plain old laziness on the part of the builders.

We have a small shelf at the forward end of the Vee berth and it is really useful. I put a cordless 18 volt fan on it. Along with charging for phone and tablet. And some Mini Milk Bones for Radar…

We have a small shelf at the forward end of the Vee berth and it is really useful. I put a cordless 18 volt fan on it. Along with charging for phone and tablet. And some Mini Milk Bones for Radar…

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just high enough above the mattress to squeeze in a USB outlet and a shore power outlet. We have USB fans which would work great there.

The reason in my case.for an XL mattress was that the diagonal measurement was 86" whereas the actual sleeping length is only 75". I'm 5' 11" and that only gives me 4" extra, head to foot.

The picture is one of my templates.

Attachments

• Compress_20230809_084501_1721.jpg
    Compress_20230809_084501_1721.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
Here is a picture of the differences I experienced with a serrated knife vs electric knife. Can you tell the difference?

Attachments

• Compress_20230809_083603_3205.jpg
    Compress_20230809_083603_3205.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
Update: We spent the night on the boat and I must say that the mattress choice was perfect for us. Even after changing the geometry of the mattresses the twin xl sheets fit very well without alterations.

Thought I posted this- if anyone wants to know how to cut foam so it matches the flare of the hull, PM me.

Thought I posted this- if anyone wants to know how to cut foam so it matches the flare of the hull, PM me.

You may have a better idea than I had. I made my templates from the smallest area, which is the base of each berth and then used my protractor to get the angles along the hull side, marked the top and bottom of the mattress to correspond to the flare and then cut with the electric knife. Luckily, I learned on the short cuts that the serrated knife was not the right cutting implement before moving to the long cuts

That's close . I use a carpenters square and mark the bottom pattern with the offset for the top.

That's close . I use a carpenters square and mark the bottom pattern with the offset for the top.

Your method is easier. I always go the hard route, story of my life but I always have fun doing it. Sounds like both ended up with the same result. Mine just took a few more beers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom