Upgrading the Refrigerator Thermostat (another project thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
End Of The Line
Vessel Make
Trinka 10 Dinghy
Sorry for the sideways pics.

So I really love my apartment refrigerator, but the thermostat is a POS, as are most RV and boat refrigerator thermostats. The differential (difference between compressor on and off) is ridiculous. Over time the thermostat gets weaker (best term I could come up with), requiring you to set the thermostat colder, until it's maxed out. So I bought a new one while cruising last summer, that was worse. It comes on at 40 degrees (too warm) and shuts off at 32 (too cold). For this I paid $65. The refrigerator manufacturer is very apologetic. The original thermostat's manufacturer's quality control sucks. The refrigerator manufacturer is having supply issues, and their fine with me sending it back. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

So the quest begins:

I've decided to pony up some big coin and convert my fridge to a digital thermostat. Here are my criteria:

It has to be accurate.
It has to have a user settable differential.
Digital temperature display would be nice.

Found the thermostat of my dreams. It's more expensive than the OEM thermostat. $4 more expensive ($69). :dance: I bought 2 as shipping was free over $99 and I had a chest freezer to wine cellar conversion project to accomplish.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ranco-E...Temperature-Control-w-8-Sensor-120-240V-Input

A chest freezer with an external thermostat makes a really goog wine cellar as far as temperature control and insulation are concerned. The freezer thermostat wasn't settable to the high 50s for my red wine. Adding the external thermostat to the freezer was kind of like adding an external multi stage regulator to an engine alternator.
20211218_132813.jpg

So here's the thermostat complete with external sensor. Originally I wanted to mount the thermostat outside the refrigerator on the wall above. Thought it would be neat to see the temperature without opening the door. Ultimately decided against drilling a hole to run the electrical wire and the sensor as I couldn't be sure where the freon lines ran. Wasn't sure how much humidity the electronics in the thermostat could tolerate. So I found a perfect fit Plano dry box with oring seal. Added a couple of rubber grommets to run the sensor and the power cord. Presto, moisture proof thermostat.
20220312_174506.jpg

It fits very nicely below the lower shelf grate and the crisper drawer.
20220313_151628.jpg

After reviewing numerous options to secure the box in place, I chose the hi-tech solution, tie wraps.
20220313_151924.jpg

Ran the power connections to where the old thermostat is, and the sensor to the location where the return air is going into the refrigerator evaporator. Not my cleanest install, but certainly out of the way.
20220313_151912.jpg

So how well does it work?

First, the optimal temperature for a refrigerator is 37 degrees Fahrenheit. When you go above 40 degrees, meat, milk, and many leftovers go bad more quickly and new foods don't remain safe till their expiration date. Going below 34 degrees runs the risk of vegetables suffering from frost burn. So I have my thermostat set to come on at 38 degrees and turn off at 35 degrees. You want some amount of differential so the compressor isn't short cycling.

The thermostat allows you to pick your setpoint (where it turns off), your differential (where it turns on) in 1 degree increments, whether you're heating or cooling, readings in Fahrenheit or Centigrade, and if you want to add a compressor delay (gives the system a chance to equalize before restarting the compressor). The thermostat runs on 120 VAC, 240 VAC, and 24 VAC. It activates a relay with both normally open and normally closed contacts, rated for 16 amps 120 VAC.

So far it's been perfect. Will be heading out in a couple of weeks for an 8 month cruise, and will update its performance.

Ted

Last edited:
You did well! Lowering the temp to keep the fridge working sounded like a failing compressor or lost gas, but you nailed it, it was thermostat.

Wow. Thanks for the excellent description & photos, Ted! I have an old fridge in my garage that I have wrapped in insulation. Now I am going to check on the thermostat.

I also laughed out loud at your jokes. Yes, tie wraps are often THE best hi-tech solution.

Best Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Is there one of those for 12V.

BTW, IMO you should have color coordinated the tie wraps. I mean really, black on white, what were you thinking.

Is there one of those for 12V.

BTW, IMO you should have color coordinated the tie wraps. I mean really, black on white, what were you thinking.

While Ranco doesn't make a 12 volt version, a Google search for "12 volt electronic thermostat" brings up some possibilities.

There are also some possibilities for a 12 VDC to 24 VAC converters to run the thermostat.

Didn't see anything of the quality and reliability of the Ranco in 12 VDC thermostats.

Ted

for a 12 volt controller, this one has some nice features and the price is certainly right.
https://www.amazon.com/Dorhea-Tempe...la-759575047815&ref=&adgrpid=72147117987&th=1
not the same quality as the ranco, but gets good reviews. i'd try one.

I saw that one when searching for 12 VDC units. Not real impressed with the information and whether you can program the differential. Based on the USA price, I'd probably buy one and test it before installing it.

Ted

I have bookmarked this.
Not available from US @ $12.99 USD, but available in Canada for $48.41. Damm that exchange rate is getting worse by the day.

i can mail you one if you want...

I saw that one when searching for 12 VDC units. Not real impressed with the information and whether you can program the differential. Based on the USA price, I'd probably buy one and test it before installing it.

Ted

that little unit is typical of the little electronic meters you can get now for very little money. i'm testing out a few of them for voltage/amps/frequency on my power inlet panel. so far they're working well enough, within a couple of tenths vs. my fluke meters. i'd be like you though, test before installing.

i can mail you one if you want...

that little unit is typical of the little electronic meters you can get now for very little money. i'm testing out a few of them for voltage/amps/frequency on my power inlet panel. so far they're working well enough, within a couple of tenths vs. my fluke meters. i'd be like you though, test before installing.

When you finish testing let us know your opinion. It looks to operate in Celsius. If it operates like suggested for refrigeration, it may work better than traditional rheostat.

I tried one of these and still struggling for decent performance. I'm afraid I cannot recommend the stainless lobster. Initially it was produced by a very clever couple and nice people who had come up with a great idea.
Sadly when they sold it off to Pikavo, it all went down the drain. Pikavo raised the price and simultaneously deleted any sensible installation or operational instructions. Then if you try to call them you get nothing but attitude and minimal help. Beware! :nonono:

Ted you could use this and this company
https://www.mpja.com/Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/productinfo/32709+MP/

I've used their stuff never had a problem with them. They even sell project boxes as well to mount them in etc. All my high bilge alarm stuff came from them, that I used to make my own units. Over a year and the alarms still function perfectly. For cents on the dollar.

like that website. i'll be trying some of their stuff. price is sure good, i couldn't even get the parts for that little money.

Back
Top Bottom