Teleflex Caplilano 250V replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
The unthinkable has happened. Had a company 'overhaul' one of my Capilano 250 V steering pumps. They claimed they knew what they were doing, but they didn't, so when I got it back it did not do anything anymore.
As an emergency solution we decided to move the non functioning pump from the fly bridge to the pilot house vise versa.
And that is when they cracked the pump from the pilot house, which is now therefore also no longer serviceable. In other words I went from 1.5 steering pumps to not a single one anymore.

I have been searching online for 2 used or new steering pumps but so far have only been able to find 1 steering pump and don't know if that one is usuable.

Is there any other model of pump that I can use instead of the 250 V ? Am not familiar with these models. Never thought I would need to buy 2 new steering pumps due to incompetence of the mechanics.

Just convert over to a Kobelt pump and be done with it. Beautifully made, high quality from a company that offers good support. Sure it's going to cost you some money but then you'll not have to worry about it again
https://www.kobelt.com/products/marine-steering-systems/list/helm-pumps

I took a look at Kobelt, but am getting the idea I will need to do a complete rebuild of my steering system (pipes etc). That is not exactly the idea. What I would like to do is exchange the current pumps (and thus pipes) for a different pump that may fit on the existing system.
I don't think any of the mechanics here is able to change a complete steering system.

I am curious what broke.

These things are stout except for the plastic cover, which can get cocked.

Parts are still available.

These things are tough to rebuild, I did one three times. Very few mechanics would be able to without problems.

I am curious what broke.

These things are stout except for the plastic cover, which can get cocked.

Parts are still available.

These things are tough to rebuild, I did one three times. Very few mechanics would be able to without problems.

One pump had some problems. To port it would work fine, but to starboard it needed about 3 times the amount of turns as to port. So I asked a company if they could overhaul the pump, like you have done (read your story about the overhaul here on the forum, think it was you who posted the pictures etc).
The company claimed they could do it, actually were able to tell me what was wrong with the pump, but when the pump came back it hardly functioned. They took it off again, sent it to another shop and when it came back the pump did not work at all anymore.

In order to be able to steer the boat I decided to move the pump of the pilot house to the fly bridge, visa versa. However, when connecting the pipes to the remaining pump they cracked the part of the pump where the pipe (for starboard) goes in. So now the oil comes gushing out when you turn the wheel.
In other words, I have no more steering at this moment and the company is sticking up their middle finger.

I have found out that finding a 250V is difficult, finding 2 is next to impossible. So I need a pump that will fit on the existing pipes. am not really thinking about changing all the pipes as well. In all we are talking about 10.000 USD in damage, so this case will go to court as it looks now.

The 250v is the same as the 1250v and the HH5250.

It is still active, not discontinued, but may be backordered. I'd call them.and ask when they'll be shipping.

I bought a 1275v not that long ago.

The 250v is the same as the 1250v and the HH5250.

It is still active, not discontinued, but may be backordered. I'd call them.and ask when they'll be shipping.

I bought a 1275v not that long ago.

Thanks for the info, will give them a call today. Hopefully they have them on stock, the boat is sitting on the dry and every day is a lost day at sea. :banghead:

Wasn't there a thread about that pump being backordered everywhere?

Called with Seastars / Dometic today and they confirmed that the 1250 V also known as HH5250 is the replacement for the 250V. After that I started searching for a shop that sells it, but have seen indeed that several shops are out of stock, but found a shop in Singapore that apparently has them on stock. Could not call them today, found them after closing hours, but tomorrow morning I will call them.
Singapore is closer to Turkey than the US, so I could have them much faster than via the US.

I did this upgrade a couple of years ago. While it is an upgraded model, you may still need some plumbing changes for installation. The position of the ports on the 1250 changed slightly (I needed some extra 45 degree elbows to align my existing pipes correctly) and I assume you'll have a Uniflow 50 valve near the rudder that you'll have to remove from the system. If you have an auto pilot, then depending on how that was plumbed in (considering the Uniflow 50 valve) it also may need some work.

The 250v does not have check valves. This is why there is a Uniflow 50 in the back of the boat. The replacement 1250v and others have check valves. With check valves in the helm pump a Uniflow 50 is no longer needed.

I’m just adding some detail to what RobertLeatch just commented.

The 250v does not have check valves. This is why there is a Uniflow 50 in the back of the boat. The replacement 1250v and others have check valves. With check valves in the helm pump a Uniflow 50 is no longer needed.

I’m just adding some detail to what RobertLeatch just commented.

Great tip, I indeed have a uniflow 50 installed and below that are the connections to the autopilot was well.
So understand I can take the uniflow away, but can leave the connections of the autopilot as they are ?

Last edited:
I did this upgrade a couple of years ago. While it is an upgraded model, you may still need some plumbing changes for installation. The position of the ports on the 1250 changed slightly (I needed some extra 45 degree elbows to align my existing pipes correctly) and I assume you'll have a Uniflow 50 valve near the rudder that you'll have to remove from the system. If you have an auto pilot, then depending on how that was plumbed in (considering the Uniflow 50 valve) it also may need some work.

I have indeed a uniflow installed. The one pipe above the uniflow comes from the autopilot tank / pump

The two hydaulic lines that are below the uniflow (90 degree angle) are going to the autopilot pump / tank.

If I understand it correctly I have to take out the uniflow and just connect the pipes again ? Or do I need a complete different set up ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 12.47.37.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 12.47.37.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 45
The uniflow valve are the check valves, and as mentioned are no longer needed as the 1250V helm has them built in. The 3rd line is the return line. The A/P lines will tap into the P and S Lines.

I suggest you secure the transition from the piping from the helm to the piping to the actuator to the bulkhead (as the uniflow valve is ) to isolate movement from the actuator

I believe this is what you want to end up with

:socool:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 12.47.37.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 12.47.37.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 147
The uniflow valve are the check valves, and as mentioned are no longer needed as the 1250V helm has them built in. The 3rd line is the return line. The A/P lines will tap into the P and S Lines.

I suggest you secure the transition from the piping from the helm to the piping to the actuator to the bulkhead (as the uniflow valve is ) to isolate movement from the actuator

I believe this is what you want to end up with

:socool:

Thanks for the schematic overview, I understand what needs to be done. Really appreciate it. :thumb::thumb:

The unthinkable has happened. Had a company 'overhaul' one of my Capilano 250 V steering pumps. They claimed they knew what they were doing, but they didn't, so when I got it back it did not do anything anymore.
As an emergency solution we decided to move the non functioning pump from the fly bridge to the pilot house vise versa.
And that is when they cracked the pump from the pilot house, which is now therefore also no longer serviceable. In other words I went from 1.5 steering pumps to not a single one anymore.

I have been searching online for 2 used or new steering pumps but so far have only been able to find 1 steering pump and don't know if that one is usuable.

Is there any other model of pump that I can use instead of the 250 V ? Am not familiar with these models. Never thought I would need to buy 2 new steering pumps due to incompetence of the mechanics.
I have been working with Bruce Looney @ Dometic. He has helped me engineer my conversion from cable to hydraulic. Good Luck Bruce.looney@Dometic.com

Ronobrien, why are you changing from cable steering on your Grand Banks to hydraulic?

Just curious. Thanks.

Ronobrien, why are you changing from cable steering on your Grand Banks to hydraulic?

Just curious. Thanks.
The boat is a 1973 and an inspection of the cables revealed that some were frayed. I have also gutted the aft stateroom/head to the hull as there was rotted bulkheads and a pretty big mold problem. (I got the boat for a very good price). In the process of refitting I am changing the head arrangement to an updated version (1980ish) which will make access to the cables virtually impossible. What I have done is to install PVC conduits from the lazarette to the engine room so that installation/removal of electrical wiring and the hydraulic lines can be installed/removed without any disturbance of interior. I haven't tried attaching photos before. I hope it works.

Attachments

• head floors.jpeg
    head floors.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image2(18).jpeg
    image2(18).jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image1(41).jpeg
    image1(41).jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 34
I just read your situation regarding mod 250v helm pump. I have a match pair of this pump that I removed from my boat several years ago. If you would like to contact me that would be fine. I’m not sure how this communication is handled but this may be your resolution

I just read your situation regarding mod 250v helm pump. I have a match pair of this pump that I removed from my boat several years ago. If you would like to contact me that would be fine. I’m not sure how this communication is handled but this may be your resolution

That sounds great ! Will send you a PM.

I attached my response to your pm can you see it?
I apologize as I’m a caveman when it comes to computers

I replied to your response, but guess you did not see it yet. Where are the pumps located ? Is that Longwood Florida ? Then I can try to contact Fedex or DHL and find out how long it will take them to get the pumps here to Turkey.
I have to leave the country by the end of the month otherwise I have to leave the boat behind and I won't be able to come back until January 2024.

Last edited:
Just an update for everyone.

Maddox contacted me that he had 2 original Capilano 250 V steering pumps, so we got in contact, made the agreement and he shipped the pumps over to Turkey. They are due to arrive in about 1 week, after which I will just need to install them and I can be on my merry way again.
The 1250 V pumps will also arrive, but the problem with them is that here in Europe we have European dimensions for all the hoses, fittings etc. I spoke with a company here in Turkey and they explained to me that it is almost impossible to get US standard dimensions in Turkey, which would mean I will receive the pumps, but can still not install them.
So I will keep the 1250 V pumps as a spare, will make sure I will get all the fittings, hoses etc this winter from the US, so that if I want to change I can do so.

In the mean time the court case against the company that destroyed both my 250 V pumps is still on, the judge (in person) will pass by next Wednesday to take a look at the damage. I have no idea if the judge has any technical knowledge, but since the oil is dripping out of the old pumps I gather that even a complete nitwit on hydraulics can draw the conclusion that something is wrong.
In any case, by 15 September we should be in the water again. :thumb:
A big thanks to Maddox.

Called with Seastars / Dometic today and they confirmed that the 1250 V also known as HH5250 is the replacement for the 250V. After that I started searching for a shop that sells it, but have seen indeed that several shops are out of stock, but found a shop in Singapore that apparently has them on stock. Could not call them today, found them after closing hours, but tomorrow morning I will call them.
Singapore is closer to Turkey than the US, so I could have them much faster than via the US.

I live in Northern Ireland and have a spare 250V, which i keep just in case in of my two fails.
Probably way too expensive to ship to you though.

I live in Northern Ireland and have a spare 250V, which i keep just in case in of my two fails.
Probably way too expensive to ship to you though.

Thanks for thinking along, but in the mean time, with help of Maddox, managed to get a hold of 2 x 250 V pumps. Installed one of them to get out of Turkey and now that I am back in Greece installed the second one.

Coming into this late. I have a Teleflex/Sitten helm pump , slave cyl and whatever that 3 way thing is I'll sell. If interested I can get specs for you.

Helm Pump Teleflex 250v

Have a Teleflex pump in 40 foot Albin that is now 40+ years old and now is leaking. After reading your reports I am hesitant to replace the seals myself. Any suggestions? Located in Seattle, any recommendations for help?

Hello Mr Martin. I read your message regarding your steering pump issue. I’ve had the Capilano model 250v apart and I don’t see anything that requires more than a mechanically minded person can’t handle. I’ve found a few YouTube tutorials on the process and would be happy to forward them if you want to review them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom