Adding 2nd Depth Sounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I would like to add a depth sounder to my boat. This would be a thru hull installation. Currently get my depth from my chart plotter. Any suggestions on brand?

Last edited:
Will this be a standalone sounder or networked? Depth only or bottom contour? Frequency desired?

I always have two sounders.
One is a Raymarine digital ... a very good sounder.
The boat had a Garmin fish finder aboard when we bought her.
Had innitial thoughts of getting rid of it but almost immediately found it very useful, especially teamed with the Raymarine sounder.

All my electronics is “stand alone”.
The Garmin fishfinder is my go to for scouting anchorages.

Last edited:
I would like to add a depth sounder to my boat. This would be a thru hull installation. Currently get my depth from my chart plotter. Any suggestions on brand?

When you say you get your depth from your chartplotter....are you saying it has an integrated sounder or you are just getting charted depths?

May I suggest 2 independent depth sounders and rudder indicators.
If one set goes down you have a second set to guide you.
Have a reasonable current paper charts and compass. You can find your way to a port.
One set not attached to your chart plotter.

Last edited:

When you say you get your depth from your chartplotter....are you saying it has an integrated sounder or you are just getting charted depths?

Current (sonar/fishfinder/depth finder) technology is fantastic - so I encourage you to explore all options. Get a demo ride and actually play with it personally if you can. Most of the transducers are made by one or two companies (Airmar etc.)- so the major potential differences are in implementation at the display. I recently added a named brand unit as my primary sonar unit, leaving some 2003 technology as a backup.(depth only). I added the sonar functionality to a "Combo" GPS/Map/N2K display unit - primarily due to limited helm panel space. The display does a great job as a multi function user interface but there is steep learning curve to get the most out of it. I also added a serious audio/vis alarm indicator which cannot be mistaken with engine or other alarms also on the panel. When it goes off you WILL look at the display. It's a complex subject - but what ever - it's far better than total dependence on hard copy or digitally charted depths.

Yes, really need more data to make a recommendation... Here's our example for you to consider.

In our case, we have a number of ways to get/select display NMEA 2K data on several different devices; namely our Garmin 4212 network and our navigation computer running Coastal Explorer. There are times when we get into tight anchorages up north and (like in my current avatar pic) shore tie within a boat length of shore).... so I was specifically looking for something that was going to give my depth under my stern but did NOT want a through hull installation. My main transducer/sonar is roughly amidships.

I looked at Airmar; as it turns out they make a lot of transducers for a lot of manufacturers (or maybe a better statement is they can tailor their transducers to a lot of different manufacturers?)

We ended up selecting their P79S, an in-hull N2K transducer for depth, as it was all we were looking for. It can be plugged directly into our N2k network to provide a depth signal to the network. They have a wide variety of other types of transducers, most of them through hulls, available though.

However, be aware if you are going to pair an "off" brand multifunction transducer directly with a "branded" chartplotter, you will get some odd results. Your sonar/depth may be spot on, but some of the ancillary functions, like temp and water speed may not work. We've done some trouble shooting with our Garmin tri-mode transducer, and found the original sales receipts/owners manual for the transducer and it turns out that rather than a true Garmin transducer it too is an Airmar. We've confirmed several times our depth accuracy, but our water temp invariably gets off by 20-40 degrees....I don't think I would have that problem if I had a N2K transducer doing the job, but the one I have is an Airmar transducer plugged into the the Garmin directly, acting as a Garmin transducer...

Last edited:
I currently have a Garmin 5212 Chartplotter, Sonar & Radar Combo unit. The Dept finder on occasion flashes a given depth from time to time. Tried resetting etc. Always seems to happen at the worst times. Anyway the boat came with an additional Lowrance 3400 which powers up but does not work. So I would be replacing that. Im not sure where the transducer is for the Lowrance. I have an Airmar transducer for the garmin.

You don't mention the model MFD on which you want depth displayed. Some (a lot of) chartplotters have a built-in fishfinder/sounder. If yours is one on those, you're in luck. You could simply add an in-hull transducer & connect it to your display to give you depth. Otherwise, ,if your plotter doesn't have an integrated sounder, you could still add an in-hull smart transducer that would send digital depth to your existing display for a numerical-only depth reading. SeaRay usually has a good enough hull layup that a glue-in transducer will work fine ,saving you the expense of a haul out to install a through hull 'ducer.

Oops, I just read your latest that you were posting while I was composing my post. Your garmin 5212 has a black-box sonar hidden somewhere below decks. If it flashes & looses the depth while underway only & works while the boat is still or moving slowly, the problem is with the transducer. It might simply may have underwater growth on the transducer. When was the last time you had your bottom cleaned? It might be worth getting a diver to clean the transducer face if the fishfinder used to work.

Before springing for a depth sounder a good sized push pole painted with depth markings will assist knowing the water depth around the boat after a grounding.

Bottom is clean. Going to add a second in dash depth finder. Was hoping to reuse the current (broken) lowrance 34OO transponder, is that possible? I need find the transponder location. Boat is coming out and will be stored on the hard next week.

Make sure your second sounder operates at a different frequency than the first. My boat has several operating at 50, 135, 180 and 200 khz, with no interference between them.

May I suggest 2 independent depth sounders and rudder indicators.

I'll second the value of independent rudder indicators. On my "add someday" list. The only rudder indicators I have are on my old Simrad AP16 units. Can a dedicated rudder indicator use the same sensor on the physical rudder?

Last edited:
Bottom is clean. Going to add a second in dash depth finder. Was hoping to reuse the current (broken) lowrance 34OO transponder, is that possible? I need find the transponder location. Boat is coming out and will be stored on the hard next week.

Not sure how you'd use a broken transducer. Or why. Use a new one. Run the new cable to the display/instrument. Used is only asking for problems, and when you discover it, the boat will already be in the water. And you'll have significantly more headache to DX & correct the problem.

I would want to be able to port the depth data to the other nav gear for redundancy, either NMEA or N2K depending on your setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom