1932 Wooden Boat History - stuck at 1981

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sn0wb0ard24

I am researching the history of wooden Motor Yacht that was built in 1932 by using the annual registry books that are available online at HathiTrust from the University of Ohio that goes as far as 1981; that provides a Vessel Identification Number, name and address of the owner, vessel name and previous names. I am also using the ibiblio site for the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Navigation which covers the years 1895 to 1965; using the search phrase "Merchant Vessels of the United States".

I am not able to find anything past 1981. I have visited the USCG sites with no luck.

Any advice?

Thank you
Scott McMullen

Do you know where the boat was built? If it was on the west coast, I’d do some research there. Port Townsend, WA still has a viable boatyard for wooden boat repairs/service. On the south end of Lake Union, there’s the Center for Wooden Boats. Both have a lot of knowledge. I’d also ask your question on the WoodenBoat Forum.

Any pictures?

Good luck on your search.

https://www.cwb.org/

http://forum.woodenboat.com/

Where was it built and for whom was it built?
Boat names change. Owners change and move as do the boats. The thread may have been lost in the process.
What is the name you are chasing and any changes up to the time the thread was lost.
Where was the last place you were able to trace it to?

Someone might recognize a previous name and provide the info.
But what you have offered is not of much help as we don't have any idea which boat you are looking for originally.

THe wooden Boat forum is a good suggestion as are enclaves of specialty repair yards and shipwrights.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem to yours with even better resources than you and I am stuck as well. I have found going to Classic Wooden boat shows and talking to the old guys that own those boats are an excellent resource. You are on the East coast, if you were on the Best coast instead, I would recommend going to the Wooden Boat show in Port Townsend Washington and talking to some of the old guys there.

Back
Top Bottom