1973 Hatteras Double Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystic Blue

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SiMBA
Vessel Make
1973 38' Hatteras DC
Looking at a 1973 Hatteras; seems well maintained, Ford 427 engines have about 2400 hours in freshwater and operated like a trawler most of the time. Normally cruised about 2200-2400 rpm at about 8-9kts. My research indicates that engine will burn about 8.5 gph at 2200rpm, which would be 2x8.5 = 17gph at 8-9kts. Sound about right? First owner had it for about 38 years; second owner the last 9. Wondering if there is anything specific I look for? Will do a survey, of course.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with a 427, but I had Chrysler 318s in a previous boat. Some of the parts were not unobtainable but somewhat difficult to get. Have you looked about parts availability on the 427s? It may or may not be an issue.

Ask this question on the Hatteras Owners Forum.

17 gph at 8 - 9 kts sounds too high. 2200 - 2400 to achieve that speed seems a bit high too. What size boat is this? Depending on length, that may just be too fast for a slow cruise. 7 kts (or even a little less) may be dramatically more efficient.

Older, large gas engines are all close in efficiency. On my 38 footer with GM 454 blocks, I get 6.5 kts at 1300 RPM in calm water, sometimes takes as much as 1500 or just over if it's a bit rough. 1300 should be 5 - 6 gph (total, both engines), 1500 should be 7 - 8 gph. 2200 would be 9 - 10 kts and plowing a ton of water at unknown fuel burn. 3300 is 17 kts and nicely on plane at around 30 gph (give or take a bit). My boat is a little lighter than the old Hatteras hulls, but very similar in underwater shape, so it should be reasonably representative.

Years ago, I helped a friend move his 1950's era Chris Craft 46-footer from San Francisco to somewhere on the Columbia River Oregon, about 700 nms. It had original gas engines - I think they were Chryslers. It was pretty efficient running at 8-kts. I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure we burned around 7 gph total and averaged close to 8-kts. So I agree with rslifkin - 17 gph sounds way too high.

Previous posts regarding large cid engines' considerable fuel use is one of the reasons we stayed with lesser hull-to-water sq. ft. contact area [Tolly 34' tri cabin, 36.5' LOA - 32' WLL] with lesser size twin gassers; 350 cid, 255 hp.

Knowing what happens regarding reduced mileage stats... when 427's, 454's, 440's etc do the pushing of a boat. We opted to have 350's. Powerful enough to easily do full plane at 16 to 17 knots; yet fuel efficient enough to get 1 nmpg at that speed.

Also, the 350 cid's are efficient enough to get right at 2 nmpg when looping along at 6.5 to 7 knots [7.58 knots is calculated hull speed].

And, if really in no rush... running on one 350 cid screw while doing just 4.5 to 5 knots we come close to 3 nmpg. Luckily our BW Velvit Drive trany does not mind letting one of the engines props free wheel during a really slow cruise.

A Ford 427 should be the big block FE engine, commonly sold in cars/trucks in 360 ci and 390 ci variants. The 427 ci was the stroked version of a 390 and those original forged Stroker cranks are quite rare now. They were also notoriously inefficient giving poor mileage in road going applications. They were widely deployed in the 60's and 70's in cars, trucks and marine applications and was the big block racing platform for Ford at the time as well. They are not cheap to rebuild, I've rebuilt a couple of them and the parts are available but cost more than typical small block rebuilds.

2400 hours seems high for a gas powered boat and I'd want a full engine survey including compression test, leakdown test, check blow by, and probably borescope inspection to see their condition.

Back
Top Bottom