2005 34 Mainship Trawler Solar installation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobw0813

Vessel Name
Mayhem
Vessel Make
Chris Craft 240
I have a 2005 Mainship 34 Trawler and just purchased solar kit. I was wondering if anyone knows the best route to get the wire from the bimini/bridge to the engine room. I noticed that the wiring harness from the bridge goes down the starboard side of the boat and passes through the cabin (i believe) in a wooden chase/trough next to the helm access door. How do you open the chase to get access or is there an easier way. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to run wiring from the flybridge down the chase to behind the lower helm station and then back to the power distribution panel in the aft of the cabin. I never took the next step of running to the engine room, but you don’t need to.

You can put your controller behind that aft panel and then tie into the main DC breaker, 50A I think, on that panel. Some say you need a fuse/breaker on that last line, but as long as it is 10 gauge or better (10 gauge is rated to carry 60 A), and it should be bigger than that to limit voltage drop, you should be fine without one. All assuming your panels will put out less than 50A.

David

I have a 30’ Pilot, and literally just completed my install today, Renogy 175 Flex Panels, I secured them on corrugated Plastic to allow them to breath in the heat, 40 Amp controller with Bluetooth functionality. I simply ran the wires and cables up a Vanguard 1/2” wire sheath, up the inside of the canvas. Still trying to figure out the best way to secure it to the canvas, double sided VHB tape?? Thoughts? I used single sided VHB to secure the panels on the roof, holding strong!

Attachments

• IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg