2005 Mainship 40 Generator bilge area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Has anybody noticed that when it rains alot the area where the generator is seems to collect lots of water?

Jeff

I know in our Tollycraft we had some leakage from the hatch above the gen. Factory only had two drains on the well around the hatch, it really should hae one in each corner of the hatch well. Also check the gasket condition if equipped.

Thanks for that comment, I didnt realize that that door area was a water entry point.
Jeff

After reading the Stella Blue site on this issue, I caulked the the door under the steps. I know he used a drip molding, but I figured a bead of sealant would work just as well. It helps for sure, but it is not the only issue.

Did you check to see if the gutter drain is clogged? Stick a high pressure hose in it until it runs clear. Also, a high volume of rain can overcome the single drain in the aft stb corner of the gutter. I added a second drain to the aft port corner and Teed it into one of the cockpit drain hoses that run underneath it.

That helped too, but I still get some water. Compounding the issue is that the bilge floor is so flat that the water spreads out and the float switch won't activate. It is pretty much impossible to get all of the water out with the bilge pump. I periodically suck it out with a shop vac to keep the area clean.

Some sort of dry bilge system may work back there.

Doug

Hey Doug, yeah I added an additional gutter drain like you, mainly cause our boat sorta lists to port and there was no drain on that side.

The PO had a canvas ciover that I think snaps over the stair area to help keep water from coming down the stairs but I've never used it, maybe I should take a closer look at it.

Hey Doug, yeah I added an additional gutter drain like you, mainly cause our boat sorta lists to port and there was no drain on that side.

The PO had a canvas ciover that I think snaps over the stair area to help keep water from coming down the stairs but I've never used it, maybe I should take a closer look at it.

Interesting. Wouldn't hurt to try!

Hope you are having a good holiday.

Doug

We have the same list sometimes, I think it is because the fuel return is to the port tank, so that tank always has more in it, which causes the water from the stbd tank to slowly drain to the port tank, making the list worsen. I will install another gutter drain on the port side. During/after a hard rain, I have opened the door to see water dripping off the port side of the rail into the lazarette, since it can’t run to the drain with a port list.

Does the boat have a fuel equalization valve to let the tanks become more eqaul since it only returns to one tank?

Does the boat have a fuel equalization valve to let the tanks become more eqaul since it only returns to one tank?

I don’t think so,maybe more seasoned Mainship 400 owners know better

Tom,
you are most likely to have an equalization fuel valves since I have them on MS390.
What worked for me is to slightly close the return valve on Port tank (my return line splits between tanks however, long return line to starboard). I was able to return "equal" amount of fuel to both tanks and listing to starboard is gone (fluid dynamics at its best).
Good luck

I have to constantly clear the drain around the lazarette. The starboard top deck drain shares the lazarette drain hole so when the drains clogged water will waterfall down from the top deck. I had to clear mine with a manual auger type drain remover. Air pressure didn't work for me. The path of least resistance was up the t value to the top deck. Once I got it cleared I put a shower drain screen to capture the big stuff.

I have to constantly clear the drain around the lazarette. The starboard top deck drain shares the lazarette drain hole so when the drains clogged water will waterfall down from the top deck. I had to clear mine with a manual auger type drain remover. Air pressure didn't work for me. The path of least resistance was up the t value to the top deck. Once I got it cleared I put a shower drain screen to capture the big stuff.

What clogged your drain and where was it clogged?

Dog and wife's hair mostly. The clog was in the lazarette drain where it connects to the upper deck starboard drain.

Last edited:
Dog and wife's hair mostly. The clog was in the lazarette drain where it connects to the upper deck starboard drain.

I know your pain. My wife has long hair (which I love) and our 90 lb Lab/Pit mix named Water was astoundingly good at shedding when she was on the boat with us, which was always.

Water died unexpectedly on December 3rd, 2021. I've been gradually cleaning up her hair from the boat. I used to curse the dog hair and never thought I would miss it but now I do. I miss it more than I could ever explain.

Attachments

• Water Abaco Cole calendar pic.JPG
    Water Abaco Cole calendar pic.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I know your pain. My wife has long hair (which I love) and our 90 lb Lab/Pit mix named Water was astoundingly good at shedding when she was on the boat with us, which was always.

Water died unexpectedly on December 3rd, 2021. I've been gradually cleaning up her hair from the boat. I used to curse the dog hair and never thought I would miss it but now I do. I miss it more than I could ever explain.

Sorry to hear about your beloved pet Doug. We have a great boat dog named Captain but, fortunately, he doesn't shed. Don't know what I'll do when he's gone.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
Sorry to hear about your beloved pet Doug. We have a great boat dog named Captain but, fortunately, he doesn't shed. Don't know what I'll do when he's gone.

The no shed thing is nice for sure. My parents have had a string of standard poodles, they have all been good dogs. But after a lifetime with labs, it's tough to consider changing. We rescued Water and were told she was 100% Lab, which became obviously untrue as she grew up. Before her I never thought I would want a Pitt, but she was an amazing dog, very sweet and loyal, but also protective of her people.

Right now, we are just grieving.

I hope Captain gives you many more enjoyable years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom