32 Volt System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrplatts

Vessel Name
Pipe Dream
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 Offshore Cruiser
We are looking for our next vessel and are seeing some that we think would meet what we want, but a couple have 32-volt DC systems. These are a little older boats and usually Hatteras. My question has to do with the availability of parts and the ability to maintain 32-volt systems. I realize that because of the existing wire size converting from a 32 to a 12-volt system is probably not realistic, at least not without some re-wiring. These days 12 volt is normal for most things and 24 is used in some places where higher power is needed, but it seems like 32 is a thing of the past. I would appreciate advice, experience, and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard. We were looking at a 58 Hatteras LRC. They had removed just about all of the 32 volt stuff but it still had 12 and 24 volts systems. It had more electrical panels in it than you could count. Not sure how much 32 volt stuff is still available anymore. My wife didn’t like the 58 so we didn’t pursue it further.

I have both a 32V and a 12V.

Most of the stuff is available for 32V and many items like breakers etc are same across a spectrum of voltages.

The biggest issues may be solar panel charges(I found a programable one) and automatic ACR switches and maybe smart chargers.

I am keeping my 32V system it works fine. getting some new Batts that are also more available then I thought.

BTW many of the original light bulbs I am replacing with LEDs that function fine.

Most of my life I used 32v and wish the current boat had it. You don't burn out winch motors as quickly, have smaller wire, and don't get as large of a voltage drop in long runs.
You can run 12v items on 32v with a voltage reducer. You can find 32v lights, etc., at better marine stores or online.

What parts are 32V on these boats? If converting I would change to 24V, not 12V, but am curious what would need to be changed?

for starters... anything engine related alternator or yeah starter shut off solenoid.

many other accessories that are operating on 32V.

Anything new i install goes on 12V

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate the input and advice. My takeaway is that I should not be overly concerned about a 32-volt system, but I will need to educate myself on it. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom