8D house battery bank dead. Replaced with 6v golf cart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
I bought 6 Trojan t105 6 volt golf cart batteries and some cables at Discount Batteries in Ft Myers FL.
Six T105 were $625 cash or $675 credit card. I bought 6 but only got 4 credits with my 2 8D. With 2 core charges, seven 2/0 cables and tax the thing was $800. Better than i could find on Amazon.
I ran two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series to make 12 volts at 225 amp hours. Did that 3 times and than ran the 3 groups in parallel for 12 volts but 675 amp hours. Its one huge 12 volt battery.
First pic old 8D starting batteries. My wife and I got them out together.
Second pic empty space were the old batteries were. New ones fit in the same groove
3rd pic. Waiting for wife to put below.
Final pic. Done.
I had 3 positive leads in the old banks. 1 port 1 starboard and one battery charger/inverter. I put one lead in each of the three positive post and voila it worked. 20201206_154445.jpeg20201206_163956.jpeg20201207_110934.jpeg20201207_123952.jpeg

Looks nice. How are you going to tie them down and cover terminals?

Congratulations on changing out your non deep cycle 8Ds with real ones.

David

I got straps.
Rubber boots for connectors. Cut em with scissors and zip tie em. That way you got easy access.

I like how your socket wrench is almost touching the positive and negative terminals together in the fourth pic.... :ermm:

Congratulations on changing out your non deep cycle 8Ds with real ones.

David
True. Didn't even know the 8ds weren't deep cycle until I couldn't find amp hours written anywhere. Only cranking amps. I'm thinking over 600ah should last a while. I only run about 7 to 10 amps with fridge and phone chargers.

I like how your socket wrench is almost touching the positive and negative terminals together in the fourth pic.... :ermm:
I know right? That's why I love those little socket sets. They're too short to reach across terminals. I use this set more than any other tool.on the boat. Maybe with the exception of a Leatherman. Screenshot_20201207-185514_Chrome.jpeg

I have one D8 that has to be removed. What are you and your wife doing this weekend?

In a previous boat we had 5 8Ds in it. I was replacing them and my marina neighbor who did odd jobs offered to install them for $100. Done deal.

"and tax the thing was $800."

Sometimes with ca$h the tax can be negotiated .

"and tax the thing was $800."

Sometimes with ca$h the tax can be negotiated .

Sounds like tax fraud to me. The buyer doesn't pay the sales tax because the seller doesn't declare the income and therefore he saves money on income taxes.

David

Also known as cheating your friends and neighbors. I won't do business with folks like that even it it saves me some money. That guy is also cheating honest business owners.
Sounds like tax fraud to me. The buyer doesn't pay the sales tax because the seller doesn't declare the income and therefore he saves money on income taxes.

David

Nice upgrade! I replaced 3 8Ds with 8 T105s and a nice new battery box. Been very happy with them for 5+ years now. Only thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned is some Corrosion X or other terminal coating to prevent corrosion.

Ted

Agree Ted, coating the terminals would be a good idea.
Also, would it not be "better" to have the negative (connecting to the bus) at the end of the bank closest to the bottom of photo 4 (so the positive and negative are at opposite ends of the bank)?

Nice upgrade! I replaced 3 8Ds with 8 T105s and a nice new battery box. Been very happy with them for 5+ years now. Only thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned is some Corrosion X or other terminal coating to prevent corrosion.

Ted
I sprayed everything with Boeshield T9 spray. Been very satisfied with it for years.

Also known as cheating your friends and neighbors. I won't do business with folks like that even it it saves me some money. That guy is also cheating honest business owners.
Maybe he doesn't want to pay credit card fees.

The "cash economy" is why we have a 10% GST(Goods & Services Tax) but if they`re after cash, I suspect they pocket the GST as well as not paying income tax. Grrrr...

The "cash economy" is why we have a 10% GST(Goods & Services Tax) but if they`re after cash, I suspect they pocket the GST as well as not paying income tax. Grrrr...

When the govt start taxing welfare payments as they tax my SS payments then, I can afford to be equally honest.

David

Even if it was to avoid sales tax, how does that help them when they are giving the money they would save by not paying sales tax back to you?

It’s just a discount for the seller not having to pay the credit card fees (which can be as high as 4 per cent (Amex used to be that) Most people will give you a discount if you offer cash for that reason.

They are cutting you a break, not themselves a break.

And, Bruce, that is precisely why a consumption tax (national sales tax) would do nothing to stop the tax cheats as many believe. Cheaters cheat.

So, you are saying that because welfare is not taxed that frees you to cheat on your taxes and cheat your honest taxpaying friends and neighbors?
When the govt start taxing welfare payments as they tax my SS payments then, I can afford to be equally honest.

The discount given to the purchaser is always less than the tax savings. Otherwise, these cheaters would not bother. These folks are not honest, period. The marginal Federal income rate will be 15% (or more), if self-employed, the self-empoyment tax rate is 15.3%, and if in a state with state income taxes, add in another 5 - 7%. So, unless the discount is 40% or more, well, are you seeing it now?
Even if it was to avoid sales tax, how does that help them when they are giving the money they would save by not paying sales tax back to you?

It’s just a discount for the seller not having to pay the credit card fees (which can be as high as 4 per cent (Amex used to be that) Most people will give you a discount if you offer cash for that reason.

They are cutting you a break, not themselves a break.

Come on folks, if the welfare people paid taxes on their welfare checks and their non-taxed jobs and the politicians (the imperial govt) paid taxes on their 'special deals', the govt would be rolling in money.
I am not worried. I will die soon so it is someone else's problem. But soon after I die, the feds and state will be standing at the head of the line to get their 'death tax'.

I’m always amazed how quickly TF threads drift away from the original subject.

Nice battery install!

Question on those golf cart batteries, do they need to have the water level checked and added to often?

Nice battery install!

Question on those golf cart batteries, do they need to have the water level checked and added to often?

We've found that under heavy use our 8 T105s need water about every 3 months. Due to COVID boat shutdown period (berthed in BC), the interval has moved to 6 months.

The charging system and wiring setup likely plays a huge role too. We have a Magnum 2800.

Nice battery install!

We had the same house bank setup on our previous boat and I checked the water levels monthly, but only had to add water every 3 months or so. Really nice set up especially for the price. :thumb:

We had the same house bank setup on our previous boat and I checked the water levels monthly, but only had to add water every 3 months or so. Really nice set up especially for the price. :thumb:

I have pretty poor access to my batteries so have stuck to AGM batteries, but I’m intrigued.

I have 4 Lifeline GPL31xt for my house bank (500ah total) and a little room left in my box I think. Wonder how many of these batteries I could fit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom