A dearth of trawlers in the Adriatic and Ionian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
We have spent much of the last month messing around in boats in the Adriatic—principally the Croatian coast—and the Ionian. Other than the crushing number or tourists (we refer to them as turoids) in the towns that cruise ships have access to, we have been very pleased with these cruising grounds, especially coming from the PNW and its cold water environs. And my goodness the food is much better. Most of the folks on this forum have spent some time here, and there are multiple threads focused on cruising here.

But what we (as PNW cruisers with history in sailboats) were so struck by was the dearth of trawler-like boats. The area is dominated by monohull sailboats, followed by charter (mostly) catamarans, and go-fast powerboats with hairy-chested men with gold necklaces at the helm. Trawlers like ours show up now and then, but they are not terribly common. Is this cultural or does it reflect cruising conditions?

I know that there are trawler-like boats here. I saw some of them. And the sailboats were often acting as trawlers (meaning they motored—like they do in the PNW—instead of sailing). But still, there is a striking dearth of trawlers compared to other boats. And after med-mooring a catamaran in a 20 kt cross breeze, I will take my stodgy Helmsman 38e any day in close quarters maneuvering.

Just an observation, nothing more. I bet there are a bunch of trawlers elsewhere. I just did not see them!

I heard Croatia is some of the best cruising in the world. Wondering if there are plenty of anchorages within easy reach.

Back
Top Bottom