advice for new boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pzindy

I am about 3 to 5 years from retirement. I have little to no boating experience, and do not currently own any boat. I have been reading about the Great Loop for many years and would like to try it shortly after retiring. But I would like to get some boat experience first. Preferably on a boat that I could enjoy locally first (now), then use for the loop later.

I live less than an hour away from Beardstown IL. So would probably start loop somewhere on Illinois River.

I have been considering something like a Rosborough RF-246 or a Ranger Tug 25. I like the idea of being able to store on trailer at home, but also understand this is smaller than a lot of 'loop' boats.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done all or part of the loop on this type of boat. Also, would it be feasible to launch/retrieve from a trailer into lakes like Carlyle Lake, Lake Shelbyville or Rend Lake (all in IL) for this type of boat?

Take the USCG classes and lean the rules of navigation. I have seen many a new boater run aground not knowing how to read the channel markers.

Join a yacht club, members love to teach the new guys.

Rosborough 246 with outboard would be high on my list too. Yes it's small as is my 36 foot Willard. Would be a bit of glamping but definitely workable. Storing on a trailer definitely reduces cost and hassle of ownership and opens some doors in terms of repositioning the boat to skip areas of low interest.

Whatever you decide, the dream is definitely achievable and an interesting lifestyle. You'll meet as many people as you'd like, the majority of whom will have very interesting backgrounds.

Peter

I think you could easily ramp launch this type of boat just about anywhere.

Lots of people have looped on these boats - the RF246, Ranger Tugs and C-dory 25 are all popular choices for loopers, and there are others as well. These boats are fully capable of doing the trip, with the usual caveat of traveling in appropriate conditions in open water.

I think this is a fine approach - use the boat locally, maybe trailer to interesting areas and work up to spending more time aboard as you gain experience and confidence.

One of the challenges is finding any examples of these types of boats near me. It seems the marinas and lakes in central IL are mostly full of pontoon boats, ski boats and bass boats, with the occasional sailboat. I did get to the Chicago boat show in 2018 and saw a couple Ranger Tugs and Cutwaters - but no Rosboroughs.

Also have a question about tow vehicle choice. I have a diesel 2500hd and gas v8 Ford Expedition. The diesel truck of course has more tow capacity (12000 lbs) but is only 2wd. The Expedition is 4wd and has 9000 lbs towing capacity. Which would you choose, and how do you find out the weights of these boats on the trailer?

Reach out to loopers. They all come down the river in the early autumn, and there are popular overnight stops close to you. The AGLCA has a public Facebook page that's an easy way to connect. Most are happy to share experiences and talk about their boats, and offering to help with groceries, errands etc gives a nice introduction.

I am about 3 to 5 years from retirement. I have little to no boating experience, and do not currently own any boat. I have been reading about the Great Loop for many years and would like to try it shortly after retiring. But I would like to get some boat experience first. Preferably on a boat that I could enjoy locally first (now), then use for the loop later.

I live less than an hour away from Beardstown IL. So would probably start loop somewhere on Illinois River.

I have been considering something like a Rosborough RF-246 or a Ranger Tug 25. I like the idea of being able to store on trailer at home, but also understand this is smaller than a lot of 'loop' boats.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done all or part of the loop on this type of boat. Also, would it be feasible to launch/retrieve from a trailer into lakes like Carlyle Lake, Lake Shelbyville or Rend Lake (all in IL) for this type of boat?
We have been members of the AGLCA for several years but would optimistically be called "slow loopers". We've done maybe 1/3 of the loop in various sections.
We call our trailer-ability our "super power" and have taken full advantage of it. I'm writing this from Sitka AK after launching a month ago in Skagway (and proudly flying a Trawler Forum burgee!) but only 3 months ago we were cruising the St. Johns River in Florida. You could easily access one of the gems of the loop, the cruising grounds of the northern Lake Huron area, by trailer in a long day after you get the basics down. Spanish Onterio was the first place we launched our new-to-us boat.
We personally know several fellow Rosborough owners who have completed the loop in the more traditional way within the past couple of years who have written blogs that I'm sure would be more than willing to share with you. One was interviewed a half dozen times during his trip for a Great Lakes podcast. One has also done side trips to the Bahamas and last summer completed the Down East Loop with a side trip to Newfoundland.--he was the informal group leader of the gentleman that wrote the recent article about that trip in Passagemaker.
For the Rosborough perspective, I'd suggest joining the "rosborough246owners" groupsio forum (you don't need to be an owner to join), the "rosborough boat owners, wanna-bes & used-to-be's" facebook forum, and/or take a look at the RF-246.com website. The tugnuts site for Ranger Tugs would be a good place to start for Ranger Tugs.
Reach out on those sites and you should have more offers of information than you can handle within a couple of days. People often open their nearby boats for tours and/or give boat rides to interested folks and those sites will let you tap into the vairous rendezvous held at various places. Those get togethers are a great place to "dock walk" to see the various configurations of boats. There is much more variety on Rosboroughs than Ranger Tugs.

Regarding the tow vehicle, like most things it depends. Diesel will have better mileage. 4WD is a nice to have at some ramps but not needed at many (depending upon the boat/trailer weight). Diesel with exhaust brake is a huge benefit for braking downhill. Good news is you can get your boat first and then decide which vehicle is best.

Been a while when I was a weekend warrior. Until you are ready, get a trailerable boat. Not too big will get more use and experience.

"Little to no boating experience."
I echo Iggy's comments - first please take the Coast Guard classes on boating safety and navigation.
Trailering, launching, and re-trailering (retrieving) a boat over 21 feet can be tough on a beginning trailer boater. While I admire your boat choices, a bit smaller boat might be an even better way to start boating and trailering, especially if doing by yourself.
You will make friends when you take the Coast Guard classes. Offer to pay for gas if they will let you join them on a few outings. Should help you learn how to launch/retrieve a trailerable boat, and observe boat ramp etiquette.
Also, joining a boating/yacht club might be a good idea. Google the ones in your area and visit them.
After all that, then decide which boat to buy for the next few years. You have excellent vehicles for towing.
Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

You could try doing a charter to gain some real world experience. Maybe get some boating experience at home then in a season or two head west to do a charter in the Pacific Northwest. Here is a Ranger Blue - Anacortes Yacht Charters which runs about a $1,000 a night. The charter company also does training so you could go train for a day or two then go out for a week in the San Juan Islands. Living aboard for a week will help you sort out your must have list.

The other option could be to try crewing with some loopers. AGLCA use to have a crew wanted section, not sure if they do or not now.

As for boats you may want to consider a Nordic Tug 26. On smaller boats the tankage can be an issue so I'd opt for something that has more than less.(water, fuel and poop storage) If you are only going to launch the boat a couple times a year it's possible a UHaul or Home Depot truck may be an inexpensive option.

These youtubers are the classic we know nothing but are going to give it a try. They made a nice summary video that documents their learning curve and loop adventure.

Enjoy your journey!

Thanks for all the comments. Don't worry, I have no intentions of driving that kind of boat without some kind of training, and I am pretty sure the insurers would not allow it anyway.

The towing part does not concern me, as I have had a 30' 5th wheel for a while. Of course, I've never backed it down a boat ramp. The launch/retreival will need some practice.

Still probably a year or so from the big boat purchase.
I admit though, I've been eyeing a Portland Pudgy for fun/learning now, and possible dinghy later.

I am not too far from Havana, so may look into the marina there for a slip.

Last edited:
If your 2WD truck has a limited slip rear end you will be fine on most all but the slimiest ramp at low tide. My previous boat was a Shamrock 26 and I originally had a 2WD Duramax to tow it with. Carry a tow strap and if there is an issue you will likely find someone ready to give you a tug to get out if needed.

I wouldn't go near many ramps with a 2 WD truck without at least having a wheel chock behind the front wheel on a cord (so you can recover it from the drivers seat) and your own tow strap. If the ramp has any poor traction for any reason, even above the waterline such as being wet or slimy in a tidal area or from heavy use, that's an accident waiting to happen, I speak from first hand experience even though my wheels were 3' out of the water..... A chock will at least keep your truck "dry" while you find someone to help pull your truck's rear wheels up onto something with some grip.
I've got friends that have been very happy with Power Squadron classes to learn the basics. In the mean time, you may want to at least get your boaters license. BoatUS has free online go-at-your-own pace classes for some states that would give you some foundation to work with. At a minimum it will give you a way to be aware of some of what you need to learn.

+1 to RedRascal to charter somewhere first (Anacortes and Bellingham are great options although remote from you). The charter companies will set you up with training to make sure you're on good shape. And then you can try (perhaps) the exact boat that interests you, and visit a beautiful destination to boot.

The charter training will go even better if you can do some CG Aux training first, as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom