Aft Cabin Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmullins

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
VroOom! VroOom!
Vessel Make
2000 Formula 41 PC
It seems the traditional aft cabin trawler has gone the way of the Dodo bird. A limited internet search (limited by the amount of bourbon in my glass) showed that Selene is the only builder currently making an aft cabin trawler. Does anyone know of any others currently in production?

Are you looking for a traditional one like in your avatar or more like the sun deck trawler?

Ted

I'm not actively looking. The thread about 30 year old boats in Florida got me researching if I had to replace my boat. Basically, the traditional, mid-size (36'ish), low horsepower, aft cabin trawler like mine is no more.

As they like to say in business, "It will circle around". The aft cabin is too good a set up to be replaced.

pete

I liked the traditional aft cabin GB36 classic. But now that I have the Bayliner with the nearly walk around V berth double pretending to be queen size, I cannot see going back. The aft cabin was the largest room used for one purpose, sleeping. Let's face it the classic trawler look has had its day.
I can see builders going to aft saloon design where the daytime activities get the biggest room.

I liked the traditional aft cabin GB36 classic. But now that I have the Bayliner with the nearly walk around V berth double pretending to be queen size, I cannot see going back. The aft cabin was the largest room used for one purpose, sleeping. Let's face it the classic trawler look has had its day.
I can see builders going to aft saloon design where the daytime activities get the biggest room.

For me, Bayliner moved the market for design. How? I was in awe when I saw the 32xx with a second stateroom beneath the saloon. Perhaps others did it too, but I was stunned when I saw it. So I agree 100% with you SteveK - aft stateroom is interesting, but given you use it for sleep only, not a great use of space. And I love having saloon/galley connected to the aft deck. Very versatile.

I have a hard time imagining a production run of tri-cabin trawlers with walkaround decks returning. Folks who want that usually want a LOT of interior volume and go for a jellybean boat with a relatively massive interior.

Peter

I was pondering the same question recently. To me, that is the perfect design for a 36-ish-foot boat. Yet that's not what we see in new builds any more.

I don't buy the argument that the sleeping area is a waste of space. I like my comfortable berthing area, with full-sized, centerline, walkaround bed with plenty of stowage drawers, a hanging closet and en-suite full dry head. I probably don't really need the full tub, but it's a nice place to hang wet gear.

My saloon is plenty spacious, and the galley-up design leaves room for a very nice "guest room" V-berth with its own en-suite head.

For day use and entertaining, the saloon, sundeck and flybridge offer plenty of options, both dockside and underway.

I don't see how you could improve on any of this in a 32-40 foot boat. I've had boats where the master berth was a "cave." Cosy, but nowhere near as nice.

Aft cabin "motor yachts" are relatively common. And some with a "cockpit motor yacht" extension, usually better for water-level ingress/egress. Planing or semi-planing hulls, but they can usually be driven like a trawler-wannabee.

-Chris

For me, Bayliner moved the market for design. How? I was in awe when I saw the 32xx with a second stateroom beneath the saloon. Perhaps others did it too, but I was stunned when I saw it. So I agree 100% with you SteveK - aft stateroom is interesting, but given you use it for sleep only, not a great use of space. And I love having saloon/galley connected to the aft deck. Very versatile.

I have a hard time imagining a production run of tri-cabin trawlers with walkaround decks returning. Folks who want that usually want a LOT of interior volume and go for a jellybean boat with a relatively massive interior.

Peter

I think the tri-cabin design works better with the classic aft helm layout rather than a true flybridge (which puts you up above and more isolated). On my boat, the companionway going down from the aft deck and helm area looks down the stairs right to the galley. So if I'm at the helm and the admiral goes to the galley for something, I can lean over and talk to her without ever getting out of the chair. We still have our primary outdoor space aft of the salon, it's just aft and up, rather than straight aft.

I think it works better on around 40 feet and up.

Obviously my personal opinion.... but was my 3rd liveaboard.

While looking at smaller double cabins, I found them all uncomfortable for longer term than a "vacation" boat (meaning NOT liveaboard, slow looping, seasonal snowbirding, etc".

The exterior doors were very low (and I am only 5'9". Galley overwhelmed saloon. Storage limited.

I should have bought an Albin 43 but couldn't find a single engine at the time.... looking back should have lived (and maybe preferred) with twins based on my style of cruising.

I think it works better on around 40 feet and up.

Obviously my personal opinion.... but was my 3rd liveaboard.

While looking at smaller double cabins, I found them all uncomfortable for longer term than a "vacation" boat (meaning NOT liveaboard, slow looping, seasonal snowbirding, etc".

The exterior doors were very low (and I am only 5'9". Galley overwhelmed saloon. Storage limited.

I should have bought an Albin 43 but couldn't find a single engine at the time.... looking back should have lived (and maybe preferred) with twins based on my style of cruising.

That's a good point. One of my biggest complaints with our current boat (38' trunk cabin layout) is the lack of on-deck wet storage. There's good storage inside, but so much of the boat is cabin that there's not much storage on the outside. No lazarette, as the aft cabin bulkhead is only about 6 inches from the transom. The closest we've got is a big storage area under the forward cabin, but anything that goes in there has to be carried through the cabin to get there. The rest of the layout works fine as long as you're not over 6' tall though.

The salon layout on ours is rather fixed/rigid due to how the galley was placed and designed. But other than placing a TV being a challenge, the layout works well enough.

Forgot to add..... that in 8 years of snowbirding, really never used the forward cabin for guests while underway (meaning a motel would have sufficed).

I seriously thought of converting the forward stateroom to 1/2 pantry and 1/2 workshop.

Would have been much better for a couple cruising with limited guests visits that would have been fine on the jacknife sofa in the saloon.

Totally agree at anchor the aft cabin has the least wave/chop slap, the best width for a queen and best sleeping. The midship masters are a wee bit better for motion but not enough to matter. My ideal boat would have the pilot house at station 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 with engine(s) under. That would allow true 360 sight lines and decent head room in the ER. Heads at 4 1/2 to 4 in front and galley at 5-5 1/2 behind the pilot hous. Two doors on either side of pilot house and one companionway aft part of aft master stateroom. Would do that even if it meant jack shafts or hydraulic or diesel electric drives. Don’t think the huge salon windows are necessary. A/B would be improved and behavior in a cross wind as well. Could achieve a low airdraft. Would place one of the outside helm stations on top the house just aft of the pilot house and another for docking or fishing at the extreme aft end of the house. With a few cameras think you’d be fine. Also all immobile major weight (engines, batteries, tankage etc) would be low and between stations 4-5. Basically the look of commercial pilot or patrol boats.

Last edited:

Peter

Speaking of bayliner design, I heard a Tony Fleming interview where he said he saw a Bayliner raised pilot house boat at a boat show and became convinced that was the right concept, which they pursued as he founded Fleming.

We lived on our 49' DeFever CPMY (same as the 44 foot, but with a 5 foot cockpit on the back). Great sundeck layout. Full width aft cabin. Hung a disco ball from the radar arch, called the flybridge the lido deck. 14 people on the sundeck and another dozen dancing on the lido deck.

Yea, Art died. Discontinued production of his boats. Bummer.

My $.02 for the reason you don’t see them anymore is that designers no longer need to design a boat around large diesel motors in that size class. Outboards are so very efficient and reliable which rival the historical reputation of diesel engines now, plus they generate faster speeds and are replaced if needed. IMO diesels will mainly be relevant to large vessels and once you get to the 50ish class it’s more of a motor yacht or Europa design (sport fish no included). Yes the aft cabin works but it was also a function of using what was available. No way at 36 Grand Banks built new today would out sell 36 boat with twin outboards capable of the same function. I love the GB lineage dearly but don’t see a very large market for that style anymore under 40’.

I fully agree on the aft cabin concept which is the best..... Then one name Hargrave.... Prairie 36' or the Hatteras 42' LRC. You invest in a hull.... you may have to renew a few things but the way they are built is the best.

OA aft cabin

I bought a 43' 1982 Ocean Alexander aft cabin, twin diesel trawler in 2000 primarily for a commuter apartment in the Bay Area. I looked at many boats for 6 months and none had the sense of space I felt sitting on the sofa on "Darlin" and looking forward to the V berth and aft to the full walk around master suite. I kept the boat in south San Francisco for 9 years and it was a good choice. I retired in 2009 and cruised Darlin to Mexico, Alaska and around Vancouver Island for three seasons. I then moved her to the Sea of Cortez and have been here 11 years. She is a beautiful aft cabin trawler with amazing teak finishes throughout. Great aft deck for enjoying the outdoors. Galley down provides a large salon. I've always felt comfortable on the boat. She is 52 ft overall. I have needed to single hand her a few times. I would not want anything larger or smaller.

I THINK, AT made a 2 cabin boat on the Model 362 They removed the generator and put in a sleeping area in its place.
Doesn’t sound ideal to me but I have to see it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom