Alternator wiring, Bad Battery isolator, new FET install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
A bit of background, at Survey.. it was reported that the Port BI is corroded and there is an Unplugged wire from the BI, essentially going nowhere.

I also noticed that the House bank (3 Gel 8D batteries that also power the B & S thrusters) is not being charged when underway. On shore power, The house batteries are usually charged with an Inverter/charger and the 2 8D FLA engine batteries are charged with a separate NOCO charger.

I finally managed to remove the Port isolator. It is a simple diode BI from West Marine 90amp unit with corrosion but not too bad. The connections left me a bit puzzled.

The way the BI was wired: One wire connects the Alt to the Alt post of the BI, one wire from batt1 post of the BI is connected back to the engine Starter, another wire from the Alt post of the BI going nowhere (ends are wrapped with electric tape). the batt2 post of the BI is not being used.

I could not locate a BI for the STBD engine alternator. I am not sure if the STBD Alternator is connected to any batteries. Seems a lost opportunity to me?

I purchase a Victron Argo FET unit (100-3 unit) to replace the current BI. Would like to connect the Port Alt to the house bank of batteries as one unit and to the 2 engine batteries. Or, simply connect the 3 outputs from the Victron to the 3 house batteries individually. Leaving the engine batteries alone considering the low demand on them. Does that make sense? Or should I push a charge to the engine batteries

One other question please, I gleaned from various folks that the daisy-chain connection between the Alt and starter must be removed when installing the new Argo FET unit. Does that sound reasonable to you folks?

Any guidance or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Streff

FET [Mosfets} type isolators are slowly being used more often. They produce a very low Vdrop compared to the Diode based unit that are quite common.

The FET isolators are trying to compete with the ACR relays and doing so.

THe FET creates about 0.1V drop compared the the older diode based units of 0.6 - 0.7 Vdrop. That 0.6 or 0.7 Vdrop is enough to defeat a lot of the charging unless the alternator or external regulator sense wire can be and is lead right to the batteries, of course fused.

Even so the the FET types should have the alt. reg. sense lead lead to the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom