Alternator wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carl Tenning

Vessel Name
Skipjack II
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
The alternator on my Perkins 6.354 engine has four spade terminals, three in a row plus an offset one that goes to the tachometer. Is it possible to obtain a wiring diagram for these terminals?

My Boat

My boat is a 1979 Mainship-34.

Last edited by a moderator:
The alternator on my Perkins 6.354 engine has four spade terminals, three in a row plus an offset one that goes to the tachometer. Is it possible to obtain a wiring diagram for these terminals?

Have you tried the diagrams in the library? Click on Library tab at top, then systems, then there are a couple of files for mainship diagrams that might be similar. It's worth a shot.

Can you post a picture showing the wiring at the alternator?

The concern is that the alternator may have been replaced at some point and the wires/terminals could be in different positions than the original.

Last edited:
Iy would help, a lot, if you posted some good photos of the alternator back good enough to show details such as lettering that indicate what each terminal is intended for.
Or a decent sketch.

Also include the mfgrs. name, the model number, the rated output. There should be a label or tag with that info. Sometimes on the underside of the alter. but the use of a mirror and flashlight will help.

As STB mentions without that info we are totally guessing as the odds are the alternator was replaced some time ago, maybe several times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom