Am I A Bad Boater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Another thread reminded me that I wanted to ask this.

We have the dual Racor filter set up on each engine. Each has a Racor vacuum gauge.

I have never taken a baseline read while at cruising RPM, nor do I check them while underway. Never.

BTW, I have never had to switch to the secondary filter while cruising, and in fact they have not been changed out the last two services (professionally done).

Now I know what the recommendation is for using these gauges. My question is; how many on here use the gauges as recommended?

Yes. Yes you are. [emoji14]

That said, so am I. I never checked vacuum, but I had the gauges. I just checked that the Racors were clean. Not while underway, but frequently.

On my boat is was extremely easy to check them when underway: just open a door and there they were. In concert with that, en route ER checks were easy, so I did them regularly, if only at times to break up the action a bit, but I did discover a slow leaking lift pump that way.

For those that have access to the ER only via a hatch, you can get different configurations of gauge, like one that points straight up, so again fairly easy to check. I suppose you won't feel you are a bad boater until the day comes when an engine misbehaves, so who knows, maybe never?

Yes. Yes you are. [emoji14]

That said, so am I. I never checked vacuum, but I had the gauges. I just checked that the Racors were clean. Not while underway, but frequently.

That I do. In fact I am now paranoid about checking the filter switch valves to make sure they are on.

Last time we were at the yard I had them service the port side filter valve as it had a tiny leak (I had a bilge pad under it). We picked the boat up and headed back. I had called the Ortega bridge requesting an opening and immediately the port engine died. We slapped down the anchor and I went to see what was going on. They had left that valve in the 12 o'clock off position! I kicked myself for missing that on the engine room check. Plus those valves can be easily knocked when going past them in the ER.

So those I check every pre-cruise ER check.

Our first season with Irish Lady the helm mounted vacuum gauge always read zero so I did not change filters. The next beginning of the season we took a trip to Ft Myers Yacht basin for a week where I thought that was the perfect place to change them all for the first time. Both Racors came out way overdue. Why didn’t the gauge show anything? I found the gauge tubing was never connected on the filter end! Since then I added the T-handle drag needle gauges and change filters at 500 hrs or season which ever comes first. They now come out pretty clean with trace amounts of asphaltine in the bowls.

Menzies
Does your vessel have a door or hatch ER access? Our vessel, with good door access, allows frequent ER checks when underway. Being a gear head, frequent ER checks have revealed incipient issues that would prove mundane to others.

Now I know what the recommendation is for using these gauges. My question is; how many on here use the gauges as recommended?
I certainly do! In Socal if you want to go anywhere in this region it's "off shore." That creates concern as to how well the boat's performing and "Duel Racors alleviate a lot of engine(s) stopping because of clogged filter(s) concern." :oldman:

Menzies
Does your vessel have a door or hatch ER access? Our vessel, with good door access, allows frequent ER checks when underway. Being a gear head, frequent ER checks have revealed incipient issues that would prove mundane to others.

ER checks done as well as an ER camera and heat gun.

I was specifically asking about the vacuum gauges.

Without question, you are bad, and well beyond boating.

There are several things that effect Racor vacuum gauge reading. In no particular order, there is fuel flow as a function of engine RPM driving the fuel lift pump, flow restriction from the fuel filter cleanliness, and fuel lift based on tank location and fuel height.

Depending on your tanks height and relationship to the lift pump, you may see vacuum from lifting the fuel up to the pump. This would normally increase as the fuel gets consumed to a lower level. Also, if the boat trim changes with speed, the bow rising may increase the lift requirement based on tank location.

Vacuum may or may not be effected by engine RPM based on sizing of the Racor.

Obviously the gauge will show increased vacuum at some point as the filter elements start to foul.

Understanding these 3 parameters on your boat is important in determining whether a modest increase in vacuum is filter related, fuel capacity, engine RPM, trim, or a combination of things.

Ted

:D

It would be good to see some photos of other's filter set ups for comparison!

This is a photo of the Duel Racor set up. 1 each left and right of the center isle of the ER. Wish I had more pics for you but I don't!

Attachments

• Racors.jpg
    Racors.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 79
This is a photo of the Duel Racor set up. 1 each left and right of the center isle of the ER. Wish I had more pics for you but I don't!

Is that yours? What size Racors?

I have dual Racor 1000s with a single filter flow capacity of 180 GPH. It's slightly over sized for my John Deere with its 33 GPH lift pump capacity. :rolleyes: They were left over from the removed 450 HP Cummins.

Before my refit.
DSCN0775.jpg

During the refit in the pilothouse. Gauge on left is for the engine Racor. Gauge on the right is for the fuel polisher Racor, which is running.
DSCN1393.jpg

Ted

Ted, did you retrofit those PH gauges, if so how big a job?

Wondering what it would take to add them to our PH and FB.

+1 I'm interested also!

These are ours. 75/1000 rated at 360gph.

PO's mechanic was great at labeling every change, me/mine not so much!

Attachments

• racors.jpg
    racors.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 75
I don’t check the vacuum gauge while underway. My gauge has a drag needle so I can see what the highest vacuum has been. I check it regularly (but not every time) as part of my pre-start routine. When i check it, I reset it.

Yes, you are a bad boater :D unless the Racor gages have reset-able tell-tail needles to show the peak pressures after shutdown.

On the other hand, I have no gages so therefore I'm not a bad boater. :D

Yes, you are a bad boater :D unless the Racor gages have reset-able tell-tail needles to show the peak pressures after shutdown.

On the other hand, I have no gages so therefore I'm not a bad boater. :D

What filters do you have? I know the gauges are optional on many.

Bad boater ? I wouldn’t go that far, but my personally view is any mechanical item might fail when you least expect it.

I do a check before starting the engine for oil and expansion tank levels my engine has a wet turbo that scavenges vapor from the expansion tank so it’s normal to add a few ounces of anti-freeze solution. Another check while warming up the engine prior to getting underway on fuel filter vacuum gauge reading and or any thing not normal. Then another check when up to cruising speed, vacuum gauge, shaft leak off, and normal engine visual condition. I keep a detail maintenance log which has enabled me to do preventive maintenance on a single engine setup with good reliability results.
Knock on wood, one tow in forty years of boating.

Last edited:
What is an inexpensive place to buy the Racor 900 and 500 cartridges. Would be nice to have a case onboard.

+1 I'm interested also!

Yes, I installed them. The gauges are vacuum driven. For the engine unit, it was simply a matter of putting a tee where the gauge is on the Racor and running 1/4" fuel line up to the helm and installing the gauge. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I made sure the hose didn't rise and fall too much to avoid pockets of fuel in the hose. It basically runs slightly down hill before going vertical to the helm. Having a gauge at the helm and the Racor allowed me to verify both were reading the same. Obviously much easier to check vacuum from the helm when scanning engine gauges as opposed to a trip to the engine room.

Ted

The placement of important instruments in a dark bilge or cramped engine space makes little sense. Sure, some owners crawl down there with ear protectors on and check such things on a regular basis, but it's simple human nature that such an unpleasant and difficult thing is going to be skipped. There's a reason that so much energy is expended talking about and installing cameras in the engine spaces...because it's awful to go down there while underway!

Of course, it's easy to open everything up and run the engines at the dock every now and then, poking around down there, checking the gauges, belts, hoses, etc. That might be enough, with no need to monitor them while underway. On the other hand, my experience tells me that rough weather can really stir up bad loads of fuel, quickly loading the filter and reducing engine performance when you need it most.

It's really simple to put a tee fitting down there and run ordinary flexible fuel hose up to the helm for a remote vacuum gauge. It's part of my regular instrument scan when at the wheel, and I am reassured by having this extra piece of information readily at hand.

Old Dan, I buy mine online from the www.racorstore.com . Prices are good. All the parts for Racor.

Last edited:
Bad boater? No. I have gauges but find it far easier to just change the filters every year. So far no issues. I believe going into an engine room with the engines running entails more risk than reward. Ever seen an engine throw a rod? I have and i wouldn't want to be near it. More realistically unless you have guards on absolutely everything the rotating equipment (belts) are extremely dangerous.

A fortunate boater for sure and apparently running a lot of good fuel through clean tanks. I once went five years between engine mounted filter changes because I was running 2-micron Racors and watching the remotely mounted vacuum gauges at the helm changing filters anytime the vacuum got over 5 inches of Hg. Before the remote mounting of vac gauges for both mains, generator and polishing system, I did look at the vacuum on the Racors while at cruise RPM during my regular ER checks. The filters were mounted halfway up the tank sides, and the vacuum increased a couple of inches or so as the tank level got low.

I use dual R60S 2Micron Racors sans gage but easily accessed for inspection.

I think if I had concerns, I'd put a camera on the gages or new gages with tell tails.

r60s.jpg

Last edited:
The placement of important instruments in a dark bilge or cramped engine space makes little sense. Sure, some owners crawl down there with ear protectors on and check such things on a regular basis, but it's simple human nature that such an unpleasant and difficult thing is going to be skipped. There's a reason that so much energy is expended talking about and installing cameras in the engine spaces...because it's awful to go down there while underway!

Of course, it's easy to open everything up and run the engines at the dock every now and then, poking around down there, checking the gauges, belts, hoses, etc. That might be enough, with no need to monitor them while underway. On the other hand, my experience tells me that rough weather can really stir up bad loads of fuel, quickly loading the filter and reducing engine performance when you need it most.

It's really simple to put a tee fitting down there and run ordinary flexible fuel hose up to the helm for a remote vacuum gauge. It's part of my regular instrument scan when at the wheel, and I am reassured by having this extra piece of information readily at hand.

Bad boater? No. I have gauges but find it far easier to just change the filters every year. So far no issues. I believe going into an engine room with the engines running entails more risk than reward. Ever seen an engine throw a rod? I have and i wouldn't want to be near it. More realistically unless you have guards on absolutely everything the rotating equipment (belts) are extremely dangerous.

I'm at the point where engine room checks don't seem as high a priority anymore. Looking at all the gauges and maybe adding a camera or two seems sufficient. Being OCD about preventive maintenance, having a proven drivetrain (2,500+ hours), and average cruise days under 8 hours, makes it seem less necessary. As mentioned above, as risk increases with age, one needs to weigh it against the benefits. I think a morning check before turning the key and maybe a visit on days longer than 8 hours seems reasonable.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom