Anchor size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kreagsman

What is everyone using for anchor size, brand, chain size and length
We have a GS 49. It has 5/16 chain which is to small for the Gypsy and the anchor is very small. We will be on the rivers and loop for the most part. Thanks Adam

First issue is the chain size. I would recommend getting a good length, based on the depths you will most be anchoring in, of new galvanised chain the right size for the gypsy. As to anchors..? Most would now recommend one of the new generation anchors, from those with roll bars, which generally work very well, but don't always suit the bow arrangement, which has lead to many evolutions to better functioning spade types eg Rocna Vulcan and Sarca Excel, and some others. Do some research and ask around. Look up past threads on here on the subject, and especially search for the anchor comparison thread by Steve Goodwin, on his yacht SV Panope. Here is a link to his summary of tests on Youtube. sv panope anchor test - Search Videos

As a friend once said to me. Go big or go home!

Where you anchor would dictate what you would need. For me in the Boston area, 200 ft of chain and a 55lb Rocna anchor. If I could have fit the next size bigger, a 73 pounder I would have.

I once got caught in a storm years ago in a 29 foot boat. The short of it, were some boats ran aground and/or used there engines. I dragged about 50 feet in 65mph winds. 230 feet of rode and a over sized anchor helped.

On my 45' Cherubini I had 325' of 3/8" G4 chain and a 73 pound Rocna. In over 400 anchorings it never drug.

IMO, when you're caught in a 50 knot blow, chain on the bottom is more important than anchor size. Get a good size anchor, but being able to put out 15:1 or more chain is priceless.

Ted

Chain length, size and anchor type and weight all depend on the boat and where you anchor.

For a GS49 you need a big anchor, at least 55 lbs and 3/8” G4 chain to match the anchors ultimate holding strength. I prefer all chain rode, but if you sometimes anchor in deep places then 150’ of chain and 150’ of 5/8 or 3/4” rode would be a good compromise vs the weight of 300’ of all chain.

Review the Panope tests but since they were mostly done with 30 lb or so anchors, add 75% to the tested holding strength for a 55 lb anchor.

David

I'd consider 55 lbs to be far too small for a 49. I'd be looking in the 75 lb range at minimum, preferably a bit bigger. I've got a 73 lb Vulcan on my 38 footer and have never felt it's too big (it's one size above recommended). Looks like a Gulfstar 49 weighs ~44k lbs dry. For Rocna's chart that puts it's solidly in the 40kg / 88lb column.

Chain-wise, 5/16" G43 might be a little weak for that boat, but 5/16" G70 or 3/8" G43 would be good.

I can certainly agree with the PP that 75# should be the minimum size anchor for a 49’ boat. I hadn’t considered that boat weight and drag forces go up exponentially with boat length. And definitely use 3/8” high tensile chain.

David

Whatever you choose make sure all the working loads match. Swivels seem to be one of the controversial issues that have never been resolved. This is because the manufacturers seldom, if ever, list working loads. My neighbor watched his swivel fall apart as he got the anchor to the boat, losing his anchor in the process. I'm guessing the same function that the swivel uses to hold the anchor in a set position, is vulnerable to side loading. I switched to the Crosby shackle, which is the only company that came close to matching the
WL of my 1/2 chain. The reason I couldn't use the shackle that matched the working load, is that the closing bolt was to thick to go through the chain loop. When I purchase new chain, I will have them weld several links of 5/8 inch chain on each end of the chain, so I can attach a bigger shackle.

Last edited:
Whatever you choose make sure all the working loads match. Swivels seem to be one of the controversial issues that have never been resolved. This is because the manufacturers seldom, if ever, list working loads. My neighbor watched his swivel fall apart as he got the anchor to the boat, losing his anchor in the process. I'm guessing the same function that the swivel uses to hold the anchor in a set position, is vulnerable to side loading. I switched to the Crosby shackle, which is the only company that came close to matching the
WL of my 1/2 chain. The reason I couldn't use the shackle that matched the working load, is that the closing bolt was to thick to go through the chain loop. When I purchase new chain, I will have them weld several links of 5/8 inch chain on each end of the chain, so I can attach a bigger shackle.
I second Crosby shackles. I replaced mine every 3 years as they were slightly underrated load wise. They are one of the few load rated shackles with a multiple times break strength.

As far as welding a link on, I would really discourage you from doing that unless the chain manufacturer does it before galvanizing and is willing to warranty it. Shackle failures are rare, more often they get distorted as opposed to actually breaking. I would be more concerned about the weld and weakening of the metal on the weld.

Ted

I second Crosby shackles. I replaced mine every 3 years as they were slightly underrated load wise. They are one of the few load rated shackles with a multiple times break strength.

As far as welding a link on, I would really discourage you from doing that unless the chain manufacturer does it before galvanizing and is willing to warranty it. Shackle failures are rare, more often they get distorted as opposed to actually breaking. I would be more concerned about the weld and weakening of the metal on the weld.

Ted
Thank you! I will definitely reconsider. I had inquired at a company here in Seattle that sells the chain and it is something they offer, but I never considered the galvanizing or warranty aspect.

The old saw goes like this: when your dock neighbors laugh at your anchor because it is so big, you have just the right anchor.

Anchor swivel tech has come a long way in just the last few years as witness my Mantus swivel.

We cruise Alaska, so I have 550 feet of 3/8 chain and a 77lb Rocka. When selecting an anchor, choose one that is one size bigger than the manufacture recommends.

In the 10 years I have cruised this area, the Rocna never dragged, always stuck good and solid.

At what point does windlass capacity become the limiting factor in the maximum weight of the anchor?

At what point does windlass capacity become the limiting factor in the maximum weight of the anchor?
Rarely in my mind. If you're sizing based on a worst case of retrieving all of the ground tackle with it dangling in infinitely deep water then the chain weight is going to be significantly more than the anchor weight in most cases.

Plus, I wouldn't consider down-sizing ground tackle because of a wimpy windlass to be acceptable. The windlass needs to be able to handle adequate ground tackle for the boat in question, otherwise the windlass is undersized and needs to be upgraded.

My 44 pound Rocna is within the recommended range for our almost 40 foot boat, but I feel like I would sleep better with a bigger anchor.

Over 2k nights on a Rocna now. 1.7kg/t of displacement. A grade 8 shackle pin easily fits in the existing links of g40 chain and is approximately 10% higher working load than the chain.

I hadn’t done the math until now, but our combination also works out to 1.7 kg/ton. Is that a rule of thumb or some standard?

I hadn’t done the math until now, but our combination also works out to 1.7 kg/ton. Is that a rule of thumb or some standard?
I don't think there's a precise standard. Windage matters for sizing as well, not just weight. Rocna recommended a 55lb for my boat (we're just over the weight they consider the 44 acceptable for at this size). We're pretty close in size to your boat, just very slightly larger but slightly lighter at 27.5k loaded excluding people(assuming yours weighs close to an H38). We went with the 73lb as it was the same effort to fit as the 55. So that puts us at 5.31 lbs (2.4 kg) per (short) ton of displacement.

On my 48’ Hatteras LRC at 65k pounds fully loaded I run an 88 pound Delta with 300’ of 3/8” and another 300’ of 5/8” rhode for if we ever get into deep water.

Our boats are very similar in size and windage.

Lot of nights at anchor in all kinds of conditions and never had a problem. Scope is your friend. The more chain you have on the bottom the better you will hold.

Back
Top Bottom