Anchor Trip Line Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like , and have the equipment to use, the AnsleyS method of dropping a chain around the hauled-taut anchor line, but the method we used around the Loop was to tie a retrieval line to the anchor chain as it was being deployed, at the maximum depth of water plus enough to pull the knot back on board, plus some slack. There is then no issue about anything floating around and getting stuck on the prop etc, or another boat fouling the floating line and hauling up your anchor as if on a winch ( ask me.....). ALWAYS make sure there is enough slack in the retrieval line so that it never becomes tighter than the anchor rode.

I’ve rigged a similar system. I find a regular trip line has too many issues, and this approach provides a need-only solution. I confess I haven’t actually used it yet, but what could go wrong??

I have tried it using line, oversized shackles, bits of chain as an assistance tower trying to free other peoples anchors and I have to say it was 50/50 whether it worked.

I suspect that it really depends on what you are fouled on.

If you live in an area of logs and rocks, and find a method works, great.

But don't necessarily expect it to work on bottom debris such as heavy cable, chain, chunks of irregular metal, etc...etc....

As far as trip vs marker line....sure it can be either or.

If you hate a marker/trip line buoy, some do attach a trip line loosely along their anchor chain shackled to the crown of the anchor in case they need to back their anchor out...lots of line to snag or foul but not in the way of other craft.

Anchorline trip techniques

They say everything you bring on a boat should have 2 purposes.

We have an anchor buoy. It is fairly sizeable and attaches to the anchor at the bottom of the shank where it turns to the plow. It has a highly rated strap that is attached to a retrieval mechanism in the buoy. In tide or other times the buoy will stay over the anchor due to the retrieval mechanism.

If the anchor gets stuck the heavy duty strap can be used to pull the anchor out backwards.

There is a big eye on top of the buoy to use a boat hook to retrieve the buoy once the anchor is onboard.

The buoy serves notice to those astute enough to be observant that there is something there. I also attach a blinking reb light to the buoy for those dead in the head who speed through an anchorage.

That may solve your problem and server 2 purposes.

Good luck.

Really bad idea to use a red (assuming reb=red) blinking light as it might be construed as a channel marker unless it has no similar characteristics as one.

Even then, a yellow flasher would probably be interpreted as a special purpose buoy which it sorta is.

The rest is a nice setup from the description.

Last edited:
Anchor trip line

Sorry, I thought that in an anchorage it would be difficult to interpret a flashing red light as a channel marker. I guess it could happen especially with the number of uneducated boaters who have no idea about no wake in an anchorage or marina.

I'll contemplate the red flashing light and see if there might be an alternative.

Green or blue, just to catch an eye?

Sorry, I thought that in an anchorage it would be difficult to interpret a flashing red light as a channel marker. I guess it could happen especially with the number of uneducated boaters who have no idea about no wake in an anchorage or marina.

I'll contemplate the red flashing light and see if there might be an alternative.

Green or blue, just to catch an eye?

How about YELLOW as I suggested before because it is used for caution/special purpose. They aren't always marked on charts which yours wouldn't be. Many spudded down barges on the edges of waterways use nearly the same and some just do use the yellow flashers you see on roadway barricades.

The vast majority of anchorages I have been in are NOT charted or recognized so to me a red marker light could very well be there and while I wouldn't run into it, it might make some start concentrating on things other than your boat position or from a distance maybe assume it is the next mark (flashing red) and head for it instead of the real one. A long shot but just like deck lights should be able to be confused with nav lights, best to use a light that couldn't be confused with ATON lighting.

I have an Anchor Buoy (https://www.compass24.com/equipment...HOBvx-V3bsCtdC5Ac7elvkzYPxusexTYaArEVEALw_wcB) great piece of kit. Attach the end of the webbing to the the tripping point on the anchor and let it go over board with the anchor. The webbing stays just taught enough to be above the anchor and adjust with the tide height.

It is fascinating to see how much the boat moves around the anchor in calm conditions at the top of the tide.

Incidentally I wish I had deployed it the time the stainless bow roller cut through the 12mm nylon rode just after anchoring as I was digging the anchor in. I wouldn't have lost an anchor.

I have an Anchor Buoy ….
Incidentally I wish I had deployed it the time the stainless bow roller cut through the 12mm nylon rode just after anchoring as I was digging the anchor in. I wouldn't have lost an anchor.

Holy sharp surface batman[emoji15]

Back
Top Bottom