Atlas vs ASEA vs Ang vs ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
I'm looking at power converters for an extended trip abroad. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns one now. How has it worked for you? Which manufacturer did you go with? Recommendations.

I realize there are other ways to deal with 50/60hz issues, but that's a topic for a different thread.

I’ve installed ASEA (several years ago) and A.N.G. (recently) on boats and prefer the A.N.G. over the ASEA for compactness (both were 12kW) and ease of connecting.

Thanks, Charlie. I reached out to all there, and ANG was the only one who didn't respond. I'll reach out to them again. Between Atlas and ASEA, ASEA seemed like the winner. Costs were similar, but the ASEA configuration was much better for me, and the lead time was 4 weeks vs 39 weeks. Not that I'm in a hurry...

Inhave no direct experience with any of these, but know a bunch of people who do have them. Comments from them seem pretty consistent, and similar across brands:

- people love the convenience.

- they throw off a lot of heat, so be ready for that.

-they are prone to breakage, and repairs can be slow and very costly.

- be certain to have an easy bypass, just in case.

Inhave no direct experience with any of these, but know a bunch of people who do have them. Comments from them seem pretty consistent, and similar across brands:

- people love the convenience.

- they throw off a lot of heat, so be ready for that.

-they are prone to breakage, and repairs can be slow and very costly.

- be certain to have an easy bypass, just in case.
the bypass sounds like a great idea

Have you considered a universal input battery charger or chargers supplying a moderately large battery bank that supplies an inverter or paralleled inverters? Analogous to what an all in one shore power conditioner does but with discrete OTS equipment.
Possibly a bit less efficient with the addition of the battery in the stream but this inefficiency can be all but eliminated wit he use of LFP batteries.

Back
Top Bottom