autopilot and Joy stick same pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I have a joystick type setup with an AP reversable pump. it's a home made setup for my emergency outboard and it works great.

I would like to add an autopilot to the mix using the same pump.

How to I make sure they don't interfere with each other. only need use one or the other.

I thought if there is a way for me to switch between where the input to the pump is coming from. obviously, it needs to be for Both red and black wires.

Thanks

I guess the simplest thing to do would be to connect the autopilot output to the same leads that the jog lever uses going to the pump and have a couple of diodes ,rated for the pump draw, in the pilot outputs, even though you probably don't need them. If you used the jog while the pilot was engaged, the pilot would just keep returning the boat to the original course until you switched to standby.

Depending where the wiring is, a single throw, double pole 3 way switch would work. Basically the switch has 2 positions that allow the pump to see one or the other input, but not both. The same could be accomplished with a relay for a remote location.

Ted

The jog lever would have to be using relays of some sort already ,to change the motor drive polarity.

The jog lever would have to be using relays of some sort already ,to change the motor drive polarity.

It's actually pretty easy to do without relays using a double pole, double throw, center off, momentary switch. That was how Bennett Hydraulic Trim Tabs could be wired.

Ted

To the OP, Ofer, I'm curious. Do you have an actual joystick or is it a toggle switch? You mentioned it being homemade and I can see a toggle switch like used on a small anchor windless that reverses polarity working(instead of up/down they turned it sideways for left right) but it would help to know how the system was wired. If you insist on a switch, yes ,as Ted indicated, a double pole double throw switch could be put between the output of the pilot and the output of whatever jog steering you have to lock out 1 or the other. Like I said, I'm simply curious what you have currently.

To the OP, Ofer, I'm curious. Do you have an actual joystick or is it a toggle switch? You mentioned it being homemade and I can see a toggle switch like used on a small anchor windless that reverses polarity working(instead of up/down they turned it sideways for left right) but it would help to know how the system was wired. If you insist on a switch, yes ,as Ted indicated, a double pole double throw switch could be put between the output of the pilot and the output of whatever jog steering you have to lock out 1 or the other. Like I said, I'm simply curious what you have currently.

i have set it up like an anchor windlass would be. I actually used power winch hardware like an up and down control and used a Warn switch of sorts. it all works great. actually, using a Furuno AP pump.

now I want to add an autopilot.

best solution would be is when AP is Engauge it will take over and if not engaged my other control would work the pump.

Thanks for all your help

Many autopilots have dedicated inputs for a jog lever and have that functionality built in.

I think there are two ways you could do this, using a Furuno NavPilot 700 as an example. This would also work with a Simrad AP70/80. Not sure about other pilots.

The first is doing everything through the autopilot. The autopilot gets wired to the reversing pump, and is the only thing that controls the pump. Then you wire your jog lever switch to the AP, along with an Enable switch. When you activate the Enable switch, rudder control is via your job lever switch. When you deactivate the Enable switch, rudder control comes from the AP. Also note that through the AP control panel you can do follow up or non follow up steering without an external control. Also, the external control can be a jog (non follow up) switch, or it can be a variable POT (FOLLOW UP). And this all takes advantage of the AP's variable speed control of the reversing motor. It's all pretty flexible, but is totally dependent on the AP being functional.

The other way to do it would be to have a switch that transfers pump control from the AP to your switches. With a reversing pump, I don't think you want your control wired in parallel with the AP computer for fear of damaging the computer. So you would need a switch that disconnects the AP and connects your control. A suitably rated DPDT switch would do it. It's not dependent on the AP computer, but also doesn't provide variable speed control of the pump.

Back
Top Bottom