Awlgrip scuffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
My new Mainship 34 T 2006 has scuffs above the water line the yard I am at now said it was from the shrink wrap last winter. The boat was stored with the same yard since new except last winter where it was stored by brokers yard. I believe this is where it happened . Current yard puts a band of plastic below the rubrail and shrink wrap is on top of this band to prevent abrasion.The survey did not show any of these damages prior to storage and I took delivery of the boat from Canada into US during the travel restriction. I did not notice it until I had it on my mooring. I thought it was from the mooring ball. My question is if the scuffs are not through the paint color can they be polished out?

MS used Awlcraft and I have buffed mine selectively and carefully.
Check the online info on Awlcraft but I would say yes if cautious and you don't like leavjng it as is.
If a small area I would start with mildest Polish and do it by hand unless a large area.

I echo Don's post. I had my Awlcraft buffed here and there by a professional who was already in the process of repainting a large area near the stbd bow. I could see from the splendid work he did there that he knew what he was doing. He used an air tool and a 3000-grit disks followed by a big slow turning buffer and Finese, NOTHING I would ever try myself.

Algrip and alcraft are two different beast. My boat is painted with algrip and it is far more difficult to buff or repair than any one part poly paint.
My suggestion would be keep it as is if you can live with it and it is not major damaged.
I repaired mine in some spot using one part poly, and sent some time to buff the area with wet sanding up to 4000 grit. Touch feeling is good but color match is difficult.

L

Algrip and alcraft are two different beast. My boat is painted with algrip and it is far more difficult to buff or repair than any one part poly paint.
My suggestion would be keep it as is if you can live with it and it is not major damaged.
I repaired mine in some spot using one part poly, and sent some time to buff the area with wet sanding up to 4000 grit. Touch feeling is good but color match is difficult.

L
Lou
MS used Awlcraft on all factory hull paint jobs. As you noted different than Awlgrip.

Yes, he does need to know which paint it is before doing any work on it.

Thanks all. Will ask a professional ,will post pics going to see boat today.

Lou
MS used Awlcraft on all factory hull paint jobs. As you noted different than Awlgrip.
Title mentioned awlgrip so my comment [emoji4]

L
I Understand and it is very common for people to refer to the generic Awlgrip as that is the umbrella term that gets tossed around not clarifying that it includes a few different paint systems / chemistries. Frequently the question is whether the paint is Awlgrip or Imron... when both are really a family of products, system, chemistries.
My point was to clarify only with no intent to make it an error. My apologies if it was worded poorly and taken negatively.

Scuffs images

Here are the scuffs I hope to hide

Attachments

• BC142DD5-5ED5-4834-BE25-6377170721A5.jpg
    BC142DD5-5ED5-4834-BE25-6377170721A5.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CAA7A9DD-2445-463C-978E-1939B35F798E.jpg
    CAA7A9DD-2445-463C-978E-1939B35F798E.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 27
Are those really scuffs /scratches that go through the Blue top coat where they appear white or is it dirt or combo?
Buffing won't cure if it through to underlying gelcoat.
Is it possibly white shrink wrap plastic on top of the blue paint?
At times I have seen white shrink wrap stick to surfaces below where it was heated / melted.

Last edited:
Scuffs

It is not through to the gelcoat they are scratches that appear white. When I wet them they become less visible

Back
Top Bottom