Back Cove Boats - any experience with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hayesdvm

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Just One Look
Vessel Make
Back Cove 41, Boston Whaler Montauk 210
I have been wanting to get a boat that would provide me and my better half the ability to go up and down the east coast and anchor out if so desired, but definitely live on the boat for a week or so at a time at the most. I started out looking at trawlers, but since I am not fully retired now and time constraints are a consideration, I think I need a boat that can go faster than displacement speed if we intend to go anywhere and have time to spend there before heading back.

I live in NC and the boat would probably be berthed in either Washington or Morehead City. We love trips out to Cape Lookout, and simply spending a long weekend out there on the hook would be very enjoyable. Trips up and down the mid-Atlantic coast might be desired, also.

The search for a faster boat led me to Back Cove, partly because I love the lines of the boats. I also like that they don't have pod drive, which are subject to getting knocked off by logs here in the ICW and rivers of NC. They look well built and the one I was able to walk through looked very nice. The pictures always make them look bigger than in real life, though, and the space below is a bit cramped.

I know this isn't a trawler, but thought to ask here if anyone has any experience with Back Coves? I want something that looks better built than the typical production cruiser.

Thanks,
Mark

I had a 29 maybe 10 years ago. I think that was the original model. I think they are quite good, and an excellent value. Not the highest end, but very respectable. My only real complaint with the 29 was that it was quite loud. But 29' is pretty small for an inboard, so there just wasn't much space for adding a better muffler. The 29 was also just a weekend boat. Wanting to spend more time aboard (weeks to months) led us next to a Grand Banks 47. For what you describe, I think something in the high 30s to low 40s would be real good.

I have never owned a Back Cove however I have studied them extensively with a friend who was planning to purchase. They are well built and hold their value as you will see when going to purchase. They are a production boat. Not as much fancy joinery as the Sabre yachts but still very well thought of. Most are powered by efficient Yanmars. I have seen a Cummins I think. Both great engines. They have great lines above water. I don’t care for the lack of keel and exposed prop. Sounds like that might be a concern for you. I don’t think that you can go wrong with a Back Cove. Just weigh out the trade offs.

Dimillos in Portland Maine is the authority on both Sabre and Back Cove.

https://www.dimillosyachtsales.com/

Last edited:
They are popular here in eastern NC, Radio Island was and still may be a dealer.
Giver your plans, I would urge you to dock your boat in Morehead or Beaufort. I know it is a longer schlep for you by car, but getting around by car is cheaper and faster than by boat. MHC has excellent access to the Cape, the greatest anchorage on the east coast. We'd go out there for a week or more at a time.You need some sort of dinghy though to enjoy the miles of gorgeous beaches. And many great spots to the north, south and west from there. Plus you have a huge array of marine service and product suppliers handy.

Friend bought a 37’ single 600 Cummins. It runs quick and efficient. the rudder is very small. Low speed steering is poor. The assembly is excellent. I like the boat very much. The prop is unprotected so easy to make clam chowder.

My Mainship 30 Pilot II is too small for what you want (even though we have spent six days aboard at a time), but maybe a look at a 34 Pilot would be in order just to ensure you have checked all the boxes. The keel and skeg arrangement protect the prop. I think 34s come single or twin engine.

I will link below a Back Cove 33. My refit guy owns one and loves it. Since I couldn't use my boat last summer, he brought me on his twice during the season, spending overnight in Vancouver for one of the trips.

We took his boat from Vancouver to Nanaimo across the Straight of Georgia which can get "interesting." The winds were around 20 + knots during 80 % of the trip and we travelled at 14 knots to get through the water to Nanaimo faster. He did take it up to 23 knots for about half an hour to clear the Vancouver area while the water was a bit calmer. The boat handled wind and water quite well.

The living area was pretty much standard for an Express Cruiser (which I believe is the perfect boat style for our area). I should correct myself, technically this boat is a Sedan Cruiser not an Express cruiser. The only negative I didn't like and he doesn't love is that below it is a bit dark in the V birth. His boat had a wine cooler which I considered a waste of space, if it were me, I'd tear out the wine cooler, sell it off, and install a dedicated freezer (but I'm a cruising freak). Thus I have a refrigerator in one location and a freezer in another location. His microwave aboard has never been used and if I owned the boat I would never use. I would rededicate the area to storage and put a door on the front after removing the microwave.

The saloon area is bright and cheerful, important on some dark coastal BC days. The cockpit is roomy and the swim platform is of decent size.

I just watched this video a bit more closely and the boat in the vid doesn't have a rear enclosure which I highly recommend you consider. My friend's boat did have an all glass back enclosure with sliding door. If you are using your boat out of season, the enclosure is best for warmth. And in nasty rain, good for interior protection. I would never own a boat like this without a complete saloon surround.

And if you are in the Pacific Northwest or coastal BC I would highly recommend a bimini.

These are decent boats and slightly above Cutwaters.

Last edited:
Marina neighbor has a Back Cove 37. He loves it. 600hp cumins with bow and stern trustees. Seems to maneuver well. He noted that he like a single engine. Blue gel coat hull seemed to oxid easy and he might need a repaint to remedy. Not sure which year his boat is. He cruises with a family of four.

I had a flag blue gelcoat boat. I’ll never do that again. Cost me $25k

I sold a Grand Banks 36 and bought a Back Cove 32 one year ago.

Much easier to maintain and get underway.

Solid 26 knots @ WOT, easy cruise in the low 20’s.

A great entertaining boat. Adequate cabin. We have easily and comfortably spent a long weekend aboard.

I would look at a 37 for longer stays aboard.

Happy with build quality and innovative design.

Wonderful dealer in Charleston - Coastal Carolina Yacht Sales.

Just for additional comparisons, seems to me MJM builds some similar boats in case you haven't checked those...

-Chris

Thanks to all. I have looked at the MJM, and they are very nice boats, but have the pod drive, as do any of the Sabres for the last decade or so.

I agree that having a keel to protect the prop would be preferred, so hopefully a log or submerged tree trunk won’t cause damage.

Many good boats mentioned here, and I appreciate the feedback!

Mark

Oguidry,

I think that dealership in Charleston is a Back Cove dealer, correct? Was the boat you purchased a trade in? If so, did you work with them on the purchase or did you use an agent from outside the dealership?

I ask because I see that Bluewater Yachts has a couple of Back Coves that are used in Hampton, Va that look interesting. The list price is pretty strong, which might reflect the fact that the boats hold their value well. If I work with an agent from the dealership, how likely am I to get the best price on the boat? I would think someone from outside the dealership would be more likely to be able to tell me what previous Back Coves have been selling for, or would they be obligated to share that information with me?

I also see that one of the brokerage boats suffered a lightening strike and had to have multiple electronics replaced. While any boat will have to be surveyed, would TF experts shy away from a boat previously struck by lightening?

Lastly, any recommendations for a good surveyor in the NC/VA area?

Thanks,
Mark

For a single engine setup they seem like a pretty nice boat. My only complaint was the strange protruding hinge metal they had on the starboard side door at the helm of the 41. A real shin-biter. Seemed like asking for immediate trouble with guests on board hurting themselves on it. Having guests aboard is a pretty regular thing for us so I tend to look for potential trouble spots. But otherwise, they seem to make a nice boat for the money.

Bill,

That is a nice looking boat, and I will let you know if I need details. You can tell you have kept her in great shape!

One of the things I really like about the Back Cove is the glass enclosure at the rear, which we really need here in NC due to biting flies and bugs when there isn't a good breeze.

Mark

The Pilots come standard with electronic bug zappers! ;)

We used to rent a Pilot 34 out of Sausalito, single Cummins with thruster. Nice boats, great layout; though we only used that one for day trips up to Napa or just dawdling around the lower Delta. The protected prop came in handy once. I've seen them entirely enclosed with frames, canvas and various forms of "glass".

Another brand of boats the OP should look at are the Hunts. A friend in Miami had a Surfhunter 32 that was a fantastic boat. Single screw. I didn't realize modern Sabres are pod drive only. Makes some sense since they free up a bunch of space. Here in eastern NC, there are few places where rocks are an obstacle, unless you drive over a jetty.

NO offense, but what does Mainship have to do with Back Cove.

Mark,

I bought a new boat and my boat was taken in trade. I went directly to the dealer and talked to no one else other than internet searches. I feel that is was treated very fairly and continue to be so on.

A consideration when buying a used Back Cove is that the larger dealers have service departments familiar with working on the brand and they well may stand behind the boats they sell for a period of time.

A nice feature of the enclosed helm is that area has a separate AC unit so it can be comfortably used at temperature extremes.

Mark,

A nice feature of the enclosed helm is that area has a separate AC unit so it can be comfortably used at temperature extremes.

So does my 30-foot MS Pilot - see avatar.

Back Cove was only mentioned at the end of the OP's post after citing a lot of specifics about how he wanted to use as boat and how that lead away from trawlers. It would be a disservice to him NOT to mention boats such as the MS. Hey, I am not one of those who thinks because he has one (whatever it is) that there is nothing better, but his post cried out for a little illumination.

The Mainship Pilot is the Back Cove for us poor people!:thumb::thumb:

Same style of boat, less money.

Sometimes I think that owners and potential owners write to a forum like this and mention a specific make and sometimes model hoping they will hear from everyone how they are the best boats ever built, everyone loves everything about them, wouldn't trade for all the tea in China, etc, etc.

There are some really crappy, bottom of the barrel boats out there. Some by design, some by neglect.

There are some "middle ground" manufacturers. Bayliner, Black Cove and Mainship spring to mind.

Of course there are top of the line boats. Expensive, solid, purpose built. We know the names but generally can't afford them, or don't need that type of quality for coasting or overnighting.

It's good to know what a particular manufacturer is known for and their reputation. You still need to get dirty and check out you prospective boat. Also..You must match the boat to your intended use.

pete

I thought Back Cove was "high end." There are lots of new and used ones in the marina where I keep my Mainship.

I was told Back Cove was the "premium line" of the Sabre?

I thought Back Cove was "high end." There are lots of new and used ones in the marina where I keep my Mainship.

I was told Back Cove was the "premium line" of the Sabre?

It's the other way around. Back Cove is the lower line of the Sabre.

Oguidry,

I ask because I see that Bluewater Yachts has a couple of Back Coves that are used in Hampton, Va that look interesting. The list price is pretty strong, which might reflect the fact that the boats hold their value well. If I work with an agent from the dealership, how likely am I to get the best price on the boat? I would think someone from outside the dealership would be more likely to be able to tell me what previous Back Coves have been selling for, or would they be obligated to share that information with me?

Thanks,
Mark

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that you get a broker outside of the dealership to help you. It would eliminate any (suspected) conflicts of interest....IOW peace of mind for you. Nothing obligates them to disclose anything. This is not real estate. Shop for a good broker as diligently as you would shop for a boat. There are good ones out there. And they cost you ZERO!

Back
Top Bottom